Just finished McCarty pickup swap

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by sws1, Jul 19, 2005.

1. sws1

sws1 Member

Just this morning I finished my pickup swap. I put in SD '59 neck and SD Custom 5 bridge. A very common / recommended replacement.

Started it last night, and was fairly disappointed when I finished it. First off, the springs on the pickup rings on the McCarty such that I couldn't get the bridge pickup close enough to strings: I maxed out the screwage.

Then, the stock screws on the neck pickup were not long enough to pull the neck pickup away from the strings.

As a result, the neck pickup was very loud, and pretty bassy, and the bridge, wasn't very loud, and missing some of the sound qualities that reviewers mentioned.

Went to bed annoyed wondering if pickup height was the cause of my disappointment.

So this morning, I used the SD springs in place of stock springs on bridge pickup and then used SD screws in place of stock screws on neck pickup.

Voila! I could set the pickups as I wanted, and all was good.

After setting it to get a good combination or bridge solo, neck solo, and middle, I really like this set. It's different enough from my other axes to make it sound unique, but still clear a rock machine, without being too hi-fidelity.

Plus, the split sounds are significantly better than the split sounds with stock McCarty pups. Not even close. I may actually use the split positions now.

I guess all the raving about this set is true. This is a good combination for those not wanting to pay boutique prices.

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I used that combo for a while in my McCarty it was good and yes they are a popular combo but in the end I still needed something different especially when I started using pedals into a clean amp.

I tried a few others but always came back to the McCarty pups I actully do like those BUT I am about to try the WCR Black Magic pups from RS Guitar Works so I will see how those work out, Hopefully they will be here today!

3. tjs

tjs Senior Member

So what was the final verdict on the Black Magics? How do they sound compared to the other WCR pickups?

4. Taller

Taller Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    I've got the '59N and C-5 combo in my McCarty as well.

The '59 has sounded wonderful from the moment I installed it.

The C-5 I've been on the fence about. Couldn't quite put my finger on it, but I think I expected something different. I spent a considerable amount of time with it this evening, adjusting the pickup height and polepiece height and I left it feeling like I got closer to where I want it to be.
    I'll check it again in the next few days when my ears have rested!

5. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Member

I have a Custom 5 in the bridge of my LP, and agree fully. Great sound, and usefull coil-tapped tones too. I have a Jazz in the neck, which I would certainly recommend. Would love to try a '59 someday. I chose my layout simply to get as much diversity out of my LP as possible, and I feel it worked out. I'm still a happy camper 3 or 4 years down the line!

Mike.

6. Jhigley

Jhigley Supporting Member

I had this combo in a PRS Snglecut. It sounded great...the Jazz had a great clarity in the neck position.

Jeff

7. chief ten beers

chief ten beers Member

I'm thinking about changing out the stock pu's in my mccarty for dimarzio paf's...anyone have any experience with these pick ups?

8. A440

A440 Supporting Member

I'd like to change my stocks out too. any idea what magnets used in the stock pickups?

did you go with nickel/chrome covers or uncovered?

9. hacker

hacker Supporting Member

The '59 is a bassy pickup, but it also sounds very vintage and is real nice for most styles. The C-5 I didnt like at all, no midrange. I'd rather have another '59 in the bridge.

10. angelo

angelo Member

Geezzz,

I have a 94 McCarty. I must be the only guy who likes the stock pickups. I especially like the neck split and the bridge full on. Go figure.

Sorry, didn't really add to the conversation......:eek: