1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Just finished modding my Flashback X4 :)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Smgbad, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

Had to do the whole thing with a faulty Weller iron, so it took a hot minute and melted the first switch I tried to put in, but the results are well worth it! Goodbye stupid hard-to-reach Delay/Looper mini-toggle, HELLO FOOTSWITCH w/ status LED! Special thanks to Coltonius for all his help and patience!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    LordByron, MIM#1 and AustinIsPresent like this.
  2. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

3. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

Ohhh and an LED!

I've been meaning to do this for a while now. Any instructions/advice you care to offer?

4. kyoungsteadt

kyoungsteadt Member

5. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

I finagled my instructions from a fellow TGP'er, but if anyone needs instructions just let me know and I'll help as much as I can. I had to take a few extra steps as my soldering iron is a piece of crap (ie: It melted the first switch I tried to put in, and I had to repair a trace it melted on the daughter-board...lol), but it all works perfect in the end, so well worth it!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  6. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

PM me if theres any part of it you have any questions about. I'd be glad to help.

7. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

Yeah I don't even use the looper but I want the footswitch so I can more easily access my "4th preset" of YWSIWYG with the knob values.

8. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

That's actually a great idea. So this mod is dual-function. WOOT! :beer

9. Prince

Prince Supporting Member

Yeah so basically set knob values=BAM! 4th preset. Can either keep the looper volume turned all the way down, or just don't hit any toggles :)

I do it with the Space algo, I have it set up to the point of self-oscillation for craziness.

10. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

For those who are interested and need a little guidance, here is a quick overview:

Disclaimers:
    First: This mod will most certainly void your warranty with TC Electronic.
    Second: Perform at your own risk. This guide is just a road map; be careful and take your time! I will not liable if you damage your pedal!

1. Removing the toggle
    The Looper/Delay toggle switch is a SPDT with a stabilizer pin that doesn't do anything. The trickiest part of the mod will be desoldering it from that daughter board between the Delay and Looper knobs.

2. Installing the footswitch
    - An X-Wing style DPDT will work, but a lower profile footswitch seems to be easier to press, so I prefer it.
    - Take care to avoid the ridges on the inside of the enclosure.
    - On a DPDT switch, one pole will be a wire-for-wire replacement for the toggle you just removed (use 4-5-6, for instance). The LED will go on the other pole (1-2-3).

[​IMG]

3. Installing the LED
    - You'll need to drill the hole a little larger if you intend to stick a 5mm LED with a bezel in there. No big deal, though!
    - Use that second pole of the DPDT footswitch for the bi-colored LED. The power source you tap into will be the back of the DC jack (see picture below): the top lug is positive, the bottom lug is ground, and the right lug is left alone. Also, best to put some electrical tape over your work to keep the wires from grounding out against the bottom plate.
    - Most bi-colored LEDs have 2 negative leads and 1 positive lead. Power accordingly: DC negative > resistor > Lug 2; DC positive > LED's positive lead. LED negative lead 1 to Lug 1, LED negative lead 2 to Lug 3.

[​IMG]

Have fun! :aok

11. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

Thx for adding that for everyone Coltonius. A few additional tips I would point out (in case any of you brave enough to try this run into the same problems I did):

1. Be careful when removing the hex screws from the housing to open it up as I've heard from several people that they stripped them or broke the heads off. Slow and steady wins the race here.

2. If you accidently burn through a trace on the delay/looper daughter board trying to get that original mini-toggle out, it's not the end of the world. You can VERY CAREFULLY attach leads from that trace's starting points to go to the new stomp switch and just not use the original hole (which would have been occupied by a leg of the mini-toggle). That being said, if you have a bargain basement soldering gun or limited soldering abilities, leave this to a professional or risk destroying the board.

3. The drill sizes you will need to do it up like mine would be:

Footswitch = 15/32 (or 12MM or 31/64). You can also use 1/2" IF your footswitch came with washers (Carling does NOT for example).
    LED = I hand reamed the original mini-toggle hole with a drill bit to 1/4" to fit the plastic bezel lens (as seen in the first pic in the thread). That bezel can be purchased from PedalPartsPlus.com, where I got all my parts for this project from.

4. This mod technically calls for a DPDT footswitch, but if you want you can use a 3PDT just fine. Just don't use one of the rows. I say this because quality DPDT stomps can be a pain in the butt to find and are twice as expensive, AND they tend to melt very easily if you get the X-lug style. I held my iron to one of those cheaper X-lugs for like 2 seconds and the lug came out of the switch like it was hot butter, making it completely unuseable.

5. Lastly... Coltonius mentioned you run the negative power wire to a resistor and then to lug 2 of your LED lugs on the switch. In case anyone is curious, I used a 2.2k resistor, but 1k up to around what I used would be fine.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  12. coltonius

Glad to help... And thanks for the supplement on things I left out!

13. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

Just played it again today and used the switch... Not having to bend over rocks almost as much as I do. :) Just so happy with it I had to bump this up again!

14. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Cool idea. On mine the delay stays on when you are in loop mode, so for me it wouldn't be that useful.

My biggest gripe with the flashback x4 is that it turns on the effect when it gets power. Very annoying.

15. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

The delay actually goes to exactly where the knobs are set (WYSIWYG) when you switch to loop mode. If you don't want the delay, turn the delay level down with your foot before switching over and it becomes a looper just like the Ditto (but with tons more options).

16. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

Thinking of carefully gluing 2 small plastic or vinyl dots (think the circle (dot) of paper you get as waste when using a paper hole punch), one green and one red, to the words "Delay" and "Looper" to designate what mode the LED color is telling the user it is currently in. Or I had thought of using red and green highlighters on the screenprinted words and then wiping it away, so it hopefully will ever-so-lightly stain the white words the designated colors (red or green).

Which would you guys go with? Or just leave it?

17. coltonius

I like the latter idea, with the markers wiped away. Never hurts to have the function labeled! Alternately, you could put a red knob on one and a green on the other... but good luck finding colored knobs large enough not to be awkward.

18. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

LOL... Good idea. I'll start lookin at possibilities for colored knobs tonight. If not I think it wouldn't hurt to at least try the highlight idea. At best, the white letters get stained (which is what I'd want them to do), and at worst it all wipes away no harm no foul.

19. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

Anywhere to get a good knob selection other than Smallbear or PPP? I'm finding what I'd want to color code the two modes, but not in a larger size. Just curious if there's somewhere I'm not looking...

20. DivineTones

DivineTones Member

This is a really cool idea. I already use their ditto looper, so having the knobs set to a fourth preset is a really helpful and clever use for that mod.

coltonius likes this.