Just finished modding my Flashback X4 :)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Smgbad, Mar 3, 2015.

1. kwd1987

kwd1987 Member

bump because people need to know about this! It goes from a PITA to the most useable delay/looper on the market. Ready to go after mine.

coltonius and miamimart like this.
  2. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

How did the mod go for you kwd1987?

coltonius likes this.
  3. Prince

Prince Member

Bump! Cause I am finally going to do this.

Anyone know if you can also mod the expression out to be a switch or wheel on the case itself? a la the "double preset" mod for the DL4? I mean, I assume theoretically you can, I just don't know how...Any help would be appreciated!

@coltonius @Smgbad

coltonius likes this.
  4. kwd1987

kwd1987 Member

@coltonius @Smgbad

Successfully modded both mine and my friends tonight. Blue Light for delay and red for looper.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    Smgbad and coltonius like this.
  5. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

Yes. :)

6. coltonius

Here is a semi-related thread I started about my FB Triple.. And here are a few teaser photos of my dearly departed X4:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

Dearly departed? Uh oh... What happened to it?

8. Smgbad

Smgbad Supporting Member

Awesome work KWD. Got pics?

9. kwd1987

kwd1987 Member

After deciding where to place your new switch, you have to drill 7/16" for the switch I chose and 7/32" or a little more for the LED bezel I chose.

Hope this is helpful.

@Hans H. and I knocked out both of our mods in the same session. Looking and sounding good!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
    coltonius and Prince like this.
  10. Bluesman79

Bluesman79 Supporting Member

11. kwd1987

kwd1987 Member

I'd suggest a higher resistor than 1k as the LED is SUPER bright. I might go back in and switch it to a 2.2 later in life. I'm actually a wuss when it comes to pedal LED brightness. I don't like to be so blinded that I can't see my settings. The LED I installed with a 1k resistor seems about 5 times as bright as the stock LEDs on the flashback. The brightness of my new LED is common on newer boutique pedals so most of my pedals have a small piece of green gaff tape over them to cut down on the retina burn haha.

coltonius likes this.
  12. Prince

Prince Member

Aight y'all, I did it! It was a success, and a not so much success. I accomplished 1 1/2 out of 3 mods.

Huge thanks to @coltonius for coaching me all the way through my fudge ups through what I am sure were several annoying messages! Thanks so much for your help!

Disclaimer: these mods are in fact easy, unless you're and idiot like me who enjoys over complicating things.

-Primary goal was to get the delay/looper toggle to be footswitchable, and I did! But I messed up in wiring the LED and fried it, so Ill fix that later. At least it fills the hole for now.

-I went for the Double Preset footswitch mod originally. I knew I should have just done the exp wheel instead, as I remember when I had the fixed expression in the past, it worked but was a bitch to program. So after screwing it up several times, maybe I got it right and just couldn't program it right!?! All well, I said fuggit and went w the expression wheel.

-If I originally intended to do the exp wheel instead of double preset footswitch, I would have located it on the front/side of the casing. But since I had a massive drilled hole to fill...well it went where the footswitch was intended to be. Not sure how well it will work there, but that's where it will be....Wiring for the exp wheel/25k pot was waaay easier than the footswitch, but know that I know the correct order of where to connect what to what, I could have pulled it off.

-So I made a lot of mistakes, but in the end, I got 1.5ish or 2/3's of the way to where I wanted to get.

coltonius likes this.
  13. coltonius

Great job, guys! Enjoy your upgraded Flashbacks. :)

Prince likes this.
  14. coltonius

Oh, nothing bad. I just sold it when the FB Triple came out! I may pick up another at some point; the Looper function is pretty handy.

15. kwd1987

kwd1987 Member

16. coltonius

Negative. The X4 can do (A or B or C) or Looper; the Triple can do A and/or B and/or C.

17. Dogman

Dogman Member

Reviving an old thread that I had bookmarked because I planned on doing the mod to my X4 if I found the time.
    Well, last week I finally came around to it and now want to thank everybody that provided useful information, pictures and schematics that made the whole project possible for me.
    Works like a charm and makes the X4 so much more useful!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kwd1987 and Prince like this.