1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Just finished putting this Tele together

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mark C, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Mark C

Mark C Member

Here's another one! Dark green metallic this time, this was a pain in the butt to paint, but I like how it came out. Poplar body, maple neck with maple fingerboard, duncan pickups. Still needs one more knob and a switch tip, but it sounds pretty good so far, kind of cool to have the mix of a strat and tele.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mike Dresch

Mike Dresch Silver Supporting Member

Cool finish! I dig it!

3. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

What's that contraption that looks like a Borg implant ??

4. jhc

jhc Senior Member

Looks like a B Bender

5. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Looks sweet, bet it sounds so, too.

Funny thing about poplar is it's looked down upon because it's a cheaper, non-traditional wood that requires solid colors to look good but had it not been a quirk of fate that Leo, in the late '50's, had ready access to pine, ash, and alder but not poplar, things could have worked out differently for this underestimated wood.

6. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

Nice guitar man, congratulation on putting her together by yourself!

Great effort! :)

I'm loving the finish, the contraption on the bridge looks like a b bender, but B and G strings attached :)

7. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

Very nice, looks good. Sherwood Green Metallic?

8. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

100% in agreement regarding poplar. I have a poplar strat that sings as well or better than my alder strats. It's a 93 Mexicaster that must be at least 4 or 5 parts too!

Mark C - That a beautiful guitar, great color. It's just in time for St. Parick's day too.

9. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

That thing is hidious, Please send it to me immediately so you wont have to look at it anymore. ;)

Great job!!

RC

10. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

I really like the green finish. You did a great job on the paint!

11. Mark C

Mark C Member

Thanks guys! The Borg implant is in fact a B and G bender by Hipshot. Really simple to install and it works great, I just need to learn to use it properly. Jon Silberman is right about Poplar - it's a great wood, sounds a lot like alder and is relatively cheap. I've got parts for one more guitar, a strat with a one piece poplar body and then I'm done with teles and strats for a while! This one meets my expectations for a mix of strat and tele tones, and the bridge + middle combo sounds really good, I was worried about how those pickups would sound together, but they work well together IMO.

12. Mark C

Mark C Member

It does look a lot like Sherwood, but it's just a car paint I picked off the shelf at an auto store and then I shot clear nitro over it. I think it's called emerald sparkle.

13. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

One of my big complaints about Fender lately (more than 15 years) is that they've started mounting the neck pickup on the pickguard, instead of into the body like the traditional Telecasters do.

I love how you attached these Strat pickups to the body, instead of the pickguard. It may be slightly less convenient for adjusting the pickup height, but to me, this is how Telecasters are supposed to be built.

It should acoustically link your neck and middle pickups better IMO.

Pete

14. hemlock

hemlock Guest

Cool fiddle! Great color.

Poplar works well and sounds good, but it sure do stank when it's being worked- especially sanded. Smells like a landfill.

15. Mark C

Mark C Member

The G bender has a seperate palm lever, kind of like a trem bar. I think Hipshot will add one to your B-Bender, take a look at their website.