• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Just finished reading "Slash"...........

big e

Geez I think his book reminded me of why I made a decision to not get caught up in the touring rock band thing! The book was quite entertaining, I can't imagine anyone writing a better "reality drama"! Anyone else read it? Do you think half of it is B***S** ? That L.A. music scene must really be nuts!

guitarlifestyle

I like guitars.
Gold Supporting Member
I was amazed at Slash's casual approach to his own transgressions throughout his narration. Ultimately, I was disappointed after reading it. It has a lot of wild, but probably true, stories, so the book was interesting at least in that respect.

ReddRanger

Geez I think his book reminded me of why I made a decision to not get caught up in the touring rock band thing! The book was quite entertaining, I can't imagine anyone writing a better "reality drama"! Anyone else read it? Do you think half of it is B***S** ? That L.A. music scene must really be nuts!
I thought it was an entertaining read and I liked it. I don't feel the need to pass any judgement on Slash. It's simply one man's account of his life, take it for what it is.

That said, I'd rather read about it rather than live it. I could never keep up with that lifestyle.

Darkburst

Silver Supporting Member
I thought the Slash book was just 'okay' and I'm a huge old school G N' R fan. I recommend reading 'Please Kill Me' by Legs McNeil. It's the best rock book I've read. Crazy stories about The Doors, MC5, Velvet Underground, The Stooges, Ramones, New York Dolls, Dead Boys, Sex Pistols, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Please-Kill-Me-Uncensored-History/dp/0140266909

Anthony Keidis's book 'Scar Tissue' is pretty good too.

whitehall

I thought it was okay. 2008 seemed to be the year everyone who ever played a guitar had a book. And I read most all of them. The problem with most all of the newer crop of bio's is you can almost hear the lawyers in the background going "Take that out, you can't say that." I do love the fact that he says several times that no one in G&R ever finished high school.

Brooks

i like rawk tales of debauchery.

flipped thru slash's & tommy lee's books at a pals house
(he said they were both disappointing).
read "the dirt", it was fun but i didn't believe half of it!

lotsa books were ok but not great;
scar tissue
kiss and makeup (gene's ego in a book)
kiss and tell (an ace frehely slam-fest!)
miles - so what
neil young
neil peart's books
willey (nelson)
nobody gets out of here alive, & riders on the storm (the doors)
sugarland ave? wonderland ave? (ex doors roadie becomes a junkie/iggy pop's manager)
10 days in america? (sex pistols us tour)

read just a few really bad books, poorly written/researched;
van halen 101
wheels of confusion - the sabbath story

some faves of mine are
how black was our sabbath
lemmy - white line fever
walk this way
hammer of the gods
steve earle

prolly the best dark drugs/sex/r&r book i've read was
mick walls' paranoid - dark days w/ sabbath and others

Last edited:

Smakutus

Slash was way worse than I thought he was but I wasn't a big fan of GnR.. I just thought he was a drunk.

Jeff

DC1

I thought it was an entertaining read and I liked it. I don't feel the need to pass any judgement on Slash. It's simply one man's account of his life, take it for what it is.

That said, I'd rather read about it rather than live it. I could never keep up with that lifestyle.

But if one cannot discern between good choices and bad ones, how is anyone else supposed to avoid all this self-induced grief?

When did that start to constitute "passing judgement"?

dc

ReddRanger

But if one cannot discern between good choices and bad ones, how is anyone else supposed to avoid all this self-induced grief?

When did that start to constitute "passing judgement"?

dc
Oops...I meant to say "I take it for what it is.." to big e. Wasn't trying to tell him how to think. ;) I was speaking in terms of whether I think any of it BS or not...

Anyhow, if you think Slash's choices are bad...by all means avoid them. I just didn't feel compelled to label him evil or a bad human because of it all. It's just a bunch of partying and debauchery...none of which I could hang with.

DC1

Oops...I meant to say "I take it for what it is.." to big e. Wasn't trying to tell him how to think. ;) I was speaking in terms of whether I think any of it BS or not...

Anyhow, if you think Slash's choices are bad...by all means avoid them. I just didn't feel compelled to label him evil or a bad human because of it all. It's just a bunch of partying and debauchery...none of which I could hang with.
I don't think anyone wants to label him at all. I do think it is important to know what sort of life we want, and further, how the rockstar life is often nothing to be proud of.

Sometimes we with normal lives, healthy marriages and mostly-sane children, really don't know how good we have it...

dc

lpfella

I loved the book. I found that I could not stop reading it. It felt that as I read about Slash's drug experiences and so forth I was addicted too. I could drop the book. Any free time I had I would be reading. I couldn't stop. I could care less what drugs any individual chooses to do.

guitarstan

I think it's time for him to take off the hat. Kiss stopped wearing makeup. Eventually we all have to get a grip.

Trending Topics