• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Just found out about: Neo Ventilator; Now what do I do?

shwn

I just ran across a video from Wildwood Guitars on YT for the new Luther Dickenson 335, and in it, Greg hits a cool rotary pedal...
I asked about it and found out it was a Neo Ventilator...
Now, I don't have $500 for one of the new ones coming soon, and Im sure I don't want to see the price for an older un of these pedals...
What can I do for under $200 to get that fast Leslie type sound?
Man, it sounds awesome in that vid!

BTW: I did a search and came across 2 posts about this, and neither gave me a real good feel for a sub-$200 pedal...

krz4fx

When too many really is TOO many...
Gold Supporting Member
Strymon Lex Rotary or Hardwire TR7 might give you what you're looking for.

nic'o'caster

The Strymon is 300$. For 50 more you get the mini Vent which provides the best leslie sound. It's expensive so you have to think if that's the kind of sound you will use a lot. If it was only for a different colour or only for a few tunes I'd get something cheaper like a used Line6 rotomachine which you can score on ebay for 80$. If you're lucky you could also find a used Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere which sounds even thicker than the Vent but with a bit more noise.

Jet Age Eric

Fast is actuallyn pretty easy to cop, and you might be able to find a used RotoChoir, Rotosim or Rotosphere for $200. Stay away from the Boss RT-20. -E

erksin

Fast rotor sounds I use an old '80s Arion SCH-1 Stereo Chorus.

But yeah - really want that new Vent II.

lifeinsong

Try and find a used Mini Vent...I've seen them going in the $250-275 range. Scaled down version of the Ventilator but still has the same sound quality, and it's much smaller which is perfect for most pedalboards. I've owned nearly every Leslie simulator out there and to my ears the Neo Ventilator and Mini Vent sound the most authentic.

coolhand78

i had the vent and yes it's cool but for me i preferred my rotosphere...
i've no idea why i just like the way it sounds better... if i were in the market
these days i'd be looking at the lex, good price, good size, and from what i've
heard.. good tones!

Richard P

For fast, the TC Shaker has some pretty great qualities: some of the TonePrints get you Leslie-ish sounds, and it's a great vibrato pedal to boot. You can also get the TC Gravy, and then you've got the TC chorus on the same pedal.

I owned a Lex, and it got some good tones, but I couldn't enjoy it: I just kept twiddling, searching for the 'best' sound. It also seemed to disappear in the mix when I tried to play lead.

Try and find a used Mini Vent...I've seen them going in the $250-275 range. Scaled down version of the Ventilator but still has the same sound quality, and it's much smaller which is perfect for most pedalboards. I've owned nearly every Leslie simulator out there and to my ears the Neo Ventilator and Mini Vent sound the most authentic.

This is the truth.

Some people prefer the Rotosphere cause it's fatter sounding and has that tube tone to it............but the Neo leslie sims sound like the real deal.
Rotosphere is nice but the chorale sound wasn't quite there.

chankgeez

For fast, the TC Shaker has some pretty great qualities: some of the TonePrints get you Leslie-ish sounds...
I've got a Shaker too and indeed it does do a decent budget Leslie. Don't even need TonePrints for that, some of the stock sounds are fine. Sometimes I prefer it to more authentic sounding pedals because it doesn't get as complex. It sounds great with high gain dirt.

64 Tele

I've got a Neo Ventilator....great sound, but eats up a lot of real estate on your board....plus I think (for less money) the MiniVent REALLY nails the Leslie sound (and I had a Leslie Model 16 and also a 147) even more than the Neo Ventilator does.
If they made the MiniVent when I got my Neo Ventilator.....I'd have gotten the MiniVent. ;)

shwn

Can anyone guess the settings he used for that tone? I love that jazzy-comping style that he uses during that section...
I am doing a lot of research on the different pedals you mentioned...

kurt1981

Silver Supporting Member
Well, not trying to spam here but I am selling a roto choir for $150, PM me if interested, it's a great pedal, I just have this one leslie tone in my head and after trying some other pedals the choir needs to move along.
I agree with others the lex really isn't worth it, the roto choir sounded as good and I had them side by side last night. The vent edges them out a bit, but for at least twice the $$$.
Kurt

zztomato

i had the vent and yes it's cool but for me i preferred my rotosphere...
i've no idea why i just like the way it sounds better... if i were in the market
these days i'd be looking at the lex, good price, good size, and from what i've
heard.. good tones!
I agree with you to some degree on the Roto. It has it's own thing going on and becomes a part of your tone more than any other I've tried. However, the Lex was just awful IMO. I have the Mini Vent and am very happy with it. Used to have a Lex too and couldn't unload it quickly enough.

Squatch57

I'm glad I kept my Rotosphere, especially after finding out that they're heaps quieter in the FX loop
I'm thinking of just buying extra modulation pedals for versatility rather than an all-in-one
I've got a TC HOF & Corona, and just scored a Shaker
Should give me a bit of variety without taking up too much real estate!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom