Just fried my Rivera ??? Help....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JingleJungle, Jun 25, 2005.

1. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Hiya...
    last nite I had someone over to appreciate the true beauty of Mullard power tubes.
    I push the switch on my Rivera (M60 1x12 combo), the control light goes on for a fraction of a second and then - zilch...nada...niente...

So I turn the beast around, look at the mains fuse: all OK
    the second fuse... OK as well.

So what IS wrong, then??

Last thing I did to it was to install a pair of Mullard EL34s, that's it.
    I played 'em a couple of hours - everything fine.

And now this.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

JJ Paul

2. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member

Give them a call. I hear you get Mr. Rivera on the line when you
    call and he is a nice guy. Tell him what the prob is and he will
    probably tell you to send him the amp to work on it.

Rivera Research and Development
    12970 Branford St., Unit P
    Arleta, CA 91331 USA
    Phone: 818-767-4600
    Fax: 818-394-2097

3. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Did you rebias the amp for the Mullards? If not, that could be part of the problem.

There may be some internal fuses that blew to protect against shorted power tubes (which may have happened as a result of not rebiasing or just because one of the tubes failed for some reason). That would be my first suspect if you haven't forgotten to include some details.

4. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Sh*t...you're right....
    I will check the internal fuse.
    Thank you...

JJ Paul

5. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

ya, definitely check the internal fuses. the bias shouldn't be off enough to blow a fuse but there may have been another problem. are the mullards KNOWN to be o.k.?

6. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Hi Teef...
    Actually lifted those Mullards from a HFC member...
    I didn't even think for a moment that they would be un-ok.
    I must have played 'em for about one hour or so - so there was no real immediate evidence of something being amiss... what do I know funny volume excursions, hollow sound, excessive distortion...nothing at all.
    The incident happened the following day when I attempted to turn the amp on again.

How does one test tubes, BTW? Guess it's time I learned...

JJ

7. Chirpy_72

Chirpy_72 Member

check the power cord.

This happened to my M60. I guess after years of keeping the amp pushed up close to a wall the bend in the cord finally broke it

8. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

The manua for your amp is here (http://www.rivera.com/Rivera/details/rivera.msmanual.html) in case you don't have one. It specifies the internal fuses.

There is a procedure for when Riveras shut down unexpectedly. It's in their R series manual here (http://www.rivera.com/rivera.rmanual.html):

"There's no sound

1. Make sure that the guitar cord to the input is okay (wiggle it--check your guitar's volume setting, too).

2. Check the Volume controls.

3. Check the Standby switch.

4. If an effect or signal processor is plugged into the Effects Loop, make sure it's turned on and that the level controls on the amp and processor are set correctly.

5. Check the speaker cable or cables to see if they are disconnected or shorted.

6. Check for blown speakers.

7. If a fuse is blown, replace it (if it blows again, refer your amp to qualified service personnel).

The amp shuts down unexpectedly (R30-112)

1. Follow the seven steps in the "There's no sound" section. 2. Turn off the amp and wait 25 minutes before turning it on again. An internal thermal protection circuit can shut the amp down if it becomes overheated. 3. After 25 minutes, turn it on, and if it shuts down again an internal fuse may be blown (it is a T 1A 250 Volt Slo-Blo type, 5mm x 20mm). When this fuse blows, it indicates a short in an output tube. If this fuse is blown, refer the amp to qualified service personnel.

Note: On SEMKO 230-volt models, there is an additional T 8A (250 Volt Slo-Blo type, 5mm x 20mm) fuse located internally.

The amp shuts down unexpectedly (R55-112)

1. Follow the seven steps in the "There's no sound" section. 2. Turn off the amp and wait 25 minutes before turning it on again. An internal thermal protection circuit can shut the amp down if it becomes overheated. 3. After 25 minutes, turn it on, and if it shuts down again, refer the amp to qualified service personnel.

Note: On SEMKO 230-volt models, there is one additional T 8A (250 Volt Slo-Blo type, 5mm x 20mm) fuse and two T 1A (250 Volt Slo-Blo type, 5mm x 20mm) fuses located internally. These should only be replaced by qualified service personnel."

Note that this for R series, but it's generally reasonable to think about the M/S amp as largely similar.

So I'm guessing that you might have a bad power tube and it blew the internal fuse.

9. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

hey jj, keep us posted. what do the power tubes LOOK like now? any funny stuff going on there physically?, white tops, dark spots, etc. rivera circuits are very STRONG for a lack of a better description. the only time i ever blew an internal fuse was when i dropped a meter probe in the chassis while checking bias. ooops.

10. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

Hi Teef... the tubes look no different than "before". Slight mechanical rattle, like the old National Electronics I usually mount.
    I'll take the head out as soon as I have a moment and will have a look for that internal fuse.

Thank you all for all the help so far...

JJ

11. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Yeah and teefus is right about the Rivera "STRONG". Like 'em or hate 'em, you don't usually kill them easy.

12. Distortion

Distortion Member

Have you reinstalled the original tubes you were using before the Mullards were installed?

13. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

.... gonna check the innards before I play around with 'em tubes again...

JJ

14. JingleJungle

JingleJungle Member

All internal and all external fuses are ok.
    Is there any chance that a fuse may "suddenly become disfunctional" without blowing?? (I have never heard of anything of the kind, but...)

I went as far as desoldering and resoldering the terminals of the main fuse, but still nothing.

All lights dark, no tranny hum, no twinkle in one or the other pre-tube.
    No smell of fried components (you know what I mean), no unsoldered cables, no signs of combustion.

I used three different power cords in a *working* outlet (you never know, dontcha?), still nothing

Could it be the input tranny????? Sheesh... this thing is getting crazier by the minute.

JJ

15. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

did you try a different a/c outlet? i had a strange thing happen with a chubster 40 i used to have. it did not like one particular power cord in one particular a/c outlet. totally strange b ut never had a problem after realizing that. if fuses are o.k., a./c is o.k., something should light up.

16. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

If you're using only visual inspection to "test" the fuses, one could still be bad. You have to check them with an ohm meter. Blown fuses often show no visible indications. If you have a spare fuse, try it.

It's probably the main fuse (or remotely possible, the power transformer).

17. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

On more suggestion: make sure you're plugged into Jack #1. If you plug into jack #2 and there's nothing in jack #1, you'll get no sound.

18. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

I think he said that the pilot light isn't coming on.

19. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

[​IMG]

20. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

Did you test the fuses resistance? If so, then you have arrived at the "I would call Rivera if I were you" stage. Or if there is a good Rivera tech near you. Theoretically, these guys:

Servette-Musique
    92 Rue de la Servette
    CH-1202 Geneve
    +41 22 733 7073

should have some idea who fixes Riveras in Switzerland.