Just got a 1964 Gibson J50 - This thing kills for 60's and 70's acoustic rock

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by straightblues, Apr 8, 2015.

1. straightblues

straightblues Member

A friend of mine just sold me a 1964 Gibson J50 (same as the J45 but without the sunburst) for way too cheap. I wasn't even in the market but the price was so good, I simply couldn't pass it up (about 1/3 of its current value). I told him the value and told him I could sale it for him, but he just really wanted me to have the guitar.

It has the ceramic adjustable bridge that everyone seems to hate. I own a couple of high end acoustics (Santa Cruz and Martin). But man this one just gets that sound that reminds me of the 60's and 70's acoustic records I heard as a kid. That sound is just there. It is great when you strum a guitar and it instantly takes you to a place and time :hiP Happy boy right now! Just thought I would share.

It needs some new bridge pins. What should I get for it?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  2. H. Mac

H. Mac Member

Congrats! Those mid-60s Gibsons are excellent guitars, and I never thought the adjustable ceramic bridges were a problem.

3. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Member

I have a 64 J50 also and its a wonderful guitar. I had the ceramic bridge removed and a stationary saddle installed ( filled with BRW ) only because the intonation was off.

The stationary saddle did improve the tone. It sounded great with the ceramic but the stationary saddle did make a difference.

Congrats on yours

4. straightblues

straightblues Member

Cool thanks for sharing. Did you pull all the adjustable hardware or leave it in place? Could you post a picture? I would love to take a look.

5. Cameleye

Cameleye Member

Don't change a thing. The adj/ceramic bridge/saddles have a unique tone.
    And, simple white plastic pins will work just fine.