Just got a Bourgeois Slope D...

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by MikeB_18, May 29, 2008.

1. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

I just got home with my new Slope D. :D I was looking for a guitar that had a lot of string clarity but some low-end to back it up. I thought I had it down to a Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner but when I learned of the other guitars in stock at my favorite local shop I had to go back and play them all. My, how quickly things can change. :rotflmao

After eliminating a few guitars, within my price range it was a shootout between the Slope D, a used Collings CJ and the Santa Cruz Vintage Southerner. Short of a $7400 Brazilian rosewood Collings CW that blew me away, I found the Bourgeois to be the best guitar for what I wanted. If I only had the money for that Brazilian Collings. :puh The SC VS was great but sounded more like my current Gibson and I was looking for something completely different. I honestly wish I could have brought both the Santa Cruz and Bourgeois home, they're both fantastic instruments. The Collings CJ was really, really good as well but I couldn't get over the color of the burst, it was a little "off" in my opinion. I know it's the way it sounds and not the way it looks but when the Bourgeois was equally as good of a guitar and it was more the whole package, I couldn't pass it up, plus that snakehead headstock is awesome.

While playing the Slope D someone said something that I think nails the guitar perfectly. He said that when you play the Slope D, you hear all 6 strings. The clarity is that beautiful but it still has the lows and mids to back it up which was very important as I didn't want a bright guitar. I was looking for something that would pair nicely with my Gibson Advanced Jumbo and I think the Bourgeois does that perfectly. I'm also in love with the rounded edges of the pickguard, it may sound weird but it's those little details that really put the guitar over the top for me.

Here are some pics. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  2. Peppy

Peppy Member

You're heading down a slippery slope.

3. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

That is a beautiful guitar! Enjoy it!

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

5. Mc-K

Mc-K Gold Supporting Member

Bourgeois shoots all the bursts himself. i live about an hour south of the shop and have picked up my last few guitars there. they are great guitars made by great folks.

6. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Great guitar! Slope shoulders are my favs by far and that look gorgeous. Can't go wrong with Bourgeois, fine instruments.

I own a Collings and love their stuff but I have to agree with you on the burst - as much as everybody raves about them, some of them look off to me too.

7. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Member

I spent an enjoyable hour with a Slope D at Mainely Music in Ellsworth, while I was vacationing in Bar Harbor Maine last summer. I know what you mean about those things that set it apart tonally and visually. I think it was the nicest 'burst I've ever seen, and the beveled pickguard was beauty to behold. It just felt great in my hands, too.

8. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

Thanks for the comments.

One thing I forgot to mention was the neck, it's a great carve, really nothing out of the ordinary but it's nothing short of perfect. I'm also really loving the satin finish on the neck, it looks fairly glossy to the eye but feels fantastic when playing. Some satin necks look flat when compaired to the rest of the finish on the guitar but somehow Bourgeois figured out how to give it a satin feel while still retaining a nice luster.

9. rhythmeister

rhythmeister Member

Fantastic! Congrats on that guitar. A purchase you'll never regret, I'm sure.

Cheers,

Blair

10. joeschai

joeschai Member

Oh man. I almost bought me a Slope D but settled on a Vintage D with Adi top after roughly 2 hours to painful deliberating.

Congratulations; she looks wonderful, and I'll bet she plays beautifully.

11. Cobra

Cobra Supporting Member

I have a friend who collects Gibson J45's from the 40's, the slope shoulder dreads with the upside down bridge. He has several, & they are very special. When you grab your first chords on these Gibsons, the first thing that comes to mind is "Beatles". They absolutely nail the recorded acoustic tones on Rubber Soul, Norwegian Wood, etc, right out of the gate.
    I hope your Bourgeois captures this clarity & distictive tonality!!!
    Enjoy!

12. chewynodoubt

chewynodoubt Senior Member

good for you, I regret everyday that I sold mine...

13. John Mayes

John Mayes Member

I used to work For Dana Bourgeois and I can say without doubt that he makes the best slope D's on the planet in my opinion.

14. tantramar

tantramar Member

What scale is the Bourgeois Slope D? Is it the short scale? I too have been thinking about the slope shoulder model including the SC VS.

15. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

Well, it went up against some tough competition and I think it clearly came out on top when it comes to a sloped shoulder mahogany/spruce guitar. Not to discount any of the other manufacturers, they were all fantastic, I just thought the Bourgeois had the small details that put it over the top. At $3k+ it really comes down to what you're specifically looking for as they're all great guitars.

Mine is not a short scale, it's 25.5". However there is a 25" short scale version available.

16. gregc

gregc Member

Very, very nice. I'd love one of those! All my acoustics are smaller bodied.

17. antojado

antojado Member

Congrats on a great guitar! I also love the neck and how it plays. Great guitar!

18. bilbal

bilbal Member

That's a beautiful burst.

19. PosterBoy

PosterBoy Member

Dana does the best bursts. Welcome to the club I've got a Walnut and Sitka Slope D with the square headstock. Awesome guitar

20. MikeB_18

MikeB_18 Member

Do you have any pics? I wouldn't mind checking that out.