Just got a Budda SuperDrive 45 head and...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SgtThump, Oct 12, 2006.

1. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

... good God, the treble about shredded my ear drums when I fired the amp up. Wasn't good at all. Absolutely hated what I was hearing. Sounded like an AM radio. HORRIBLE!

Then, I realized that the middle knob plays just an important part in the highs as the treble knob. When the middle knob is rolled all the way down, the amp is muffled. Just slightly up like on "1" or even less, the treble kicks in FAST.

So anyway, lowering the mids and treble ALOT really made it sound a million times better. Boy, this mother is loud too. Goes from off to bedroom volume (and the tone is just so so) to really loud all around "1" on the master.

Not sure what to think yet. Only had it 30 minutes. It certainly ended up sounding better than it started out, though.

Any other owners or folks that have heard/played on one of these SuperDrive 45's?

Chris

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

ratter's SD80 sounded pretty freaking good when I heard it a couple of years ago. my ears are still ringing. :D

3. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

What kind of cab/speakers are you playing through, and what kind of guitar. Every Budda I've ever heard was anything but trebley. It takes a while to figure out the sweet spot with the guitar tone/volume knob and the pull switches. I think there is also a treble control through a pull switch.

4. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I've had the SD30 and am currently running the SD45. I NEVER run the treble past 12:00. If your on the clean channel...you can pull out the rythm channel switch (far right) and it will give it that "voxy chime".. (i.e. more bite!). Also, if your playing it with the mid knob pulled for "modern"..it has more bite. Hence to say...keep them pushed in if its got too much bark and bite.

I've foudn with mine that I like pretty much everything at 12:00. I'm running mine through a Budda 4x12 cab. What cab you running? what guitar you playing?

I LOVE mine. It definitely has more bite than the Sd30 or SD18. Its not as creamy...but it also has better bass definition and just all around more bass. I thought the SD30/18 is more "brown" sound while this has more AC/DC crunch to it.

oh yeah...they are loud as hell. I'm trying to get some plexi to put in front of my cabinet.

5. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Guitars are an Edwards LP Custom copy and an EBMM Steve Morse hardtail for now. Cabs are a Marshall 1960B with G12H30's and 75's in an "x pattern" and a Mesa Traditional slant setup with the same speaker combination.

I expected it to be super thick at first, but it was far from it. Like I said, it sounded like an AM radio.

I've read several times that the SD45 is brighter than the other amps in the SD series, but I didn't expect this.

And yes, there's a bright switch that works on the clean channel. The clean channel actually sounds great, but the distortion channels was crazy bright.

Like I said, I figured out that the mid control actually controls the highs, while the treble control sounds like a presence to me.

I'm going to fire her up again here in a second after my ears have rested to figure out my second opinion. I'll report back.

6. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Every single clip I've heard of the Budda SuperDrives (all models) were killer. Exactly what I want in an amp. I'm thinking I can dial that in for a similar "in person" tone, but it didn't start off that way! :)

Also, I have a Furman PQ3 parametric that I can stick in the loop to dial it in more if needed.

7. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I just now listed my cabs and guitars two posts up. There's no way I could run all the knobs at noon on this amp with my cabs and guitars. That's exactly how I started out where it was super, super trebly. Now I have the bass up around 3:00 o'clock, the middle around 8:00 (barely on) and the treble at 9:00 o'clock. Those are the settings I ended up with when I shut her down around an hour ago.

I may fire the amp up again here shortly and realize that's too dark. Not sure. Plus, my room always seems to make amps sound a little brighter for some reason. It doesn't have tile floors or anything like that, but it just make everything brighter. In a band, I always have to crank the highs up more than at home.

Chris

8. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Oh yeah, I have a semi-open back Budda 2x12" on the way too, but it won't be here for a week or two.

9. kingsxman

yep, I need more treble on a gig than at home also.

The budda controls are VERY interactive. moreso than any other amp I've had. On my sd30 I actually ended up doing a mod that Jeff at Budda recommended: I liked the treble at about 3:00...but when I went past noon I lost some mids. So he had me do a mod where the treble at noon was like 3:00...so it didnt affect the mids. Worked great. If your handy with an iron he may have an idea for you.

By all means talk to Jeff before giving up on it. What tubes are in it? Sovteks? Thats what they ship with for the most part.

10. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I dunno man, something may not be right here. I just fired her up again (at lower volumes) and it just doesn't sound that good to me. I'm going to open her up and check the bias and stuff real quick. I'll report back.

Oh yeah, the serial number is 003, which is kinda cool.

11. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

I'm guessing the bias isn't adjustable? Hmmm... I didn't realize Budda's weren't adjustable.

12. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

It thickens up greatly as the power-amp starts to do its thing. It just comes into its own when the master volume is around 3. Yeah, it's one powerful puppy, but the things sounds AWESOME. I'm tremendously happy with mine. I play Strats and Teles a lot, and I've no problems with the treble being outta control. I run mine through a pair of 2x12 cabs: a Budda semi-closed back cab with Budda Phat12s, and an Avitar 2x12 with Celestion V30 and G12H30 speakers. Sometimes I use my Two Rock 2x12 (Emminence Wizard and Tonespotter speakers), either alone or in exchange for the Avatar. I get a really full sound with lots of bottom and and lots of sparkly (and spanky) highs. The best cabs I've ever used with the amp - a Bogner 4x12, and a Budda prototype (Precision Audio Tailoring) 4x12. Budda's 4x12 cabs also rock. Unfortunately, with the 2 shot disks in my back, I cannot lift any of them out of my trunk by myself....

You might want to invest in a HotPlate if you're gonna play at bedroom volumes.

It is one wicked accomplise of an amp:AOK

Peace,

jb

13. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Sorry, but I'm not a bedroom wanker. First of all, I gig. Second, I can crank the amp at home with no problems. I rarely play low. That's not the issue.

Perhaps something is wrong? This amp is super bright.

14. mkl13

mkl13 Silver Supporting Member

I own an SD18 and have played a SD30 and 45. From what you are describing I think there has to be something wrong with the amp. On all of the Budda's I've played they sound killer with everthing at noon, + or - a little tweeking from there.

Matt

15. kingsxman

Yep, sounds like a problem.
    The are cathode biased so there is no bias adjustment. You may have either bad preamp tubes or bad power tubes. they DO go through power tubes. I've had mine 6 months and went through one set of power tubes already.

You can try changing the preamp tubes around. Whats in there? V1 should be a 12ax7A while the rest shoudl be 12ax7b's.

16. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like there's something up Chris. You know amps, and you know tones. NO doubt about that. I've listened to your clips for years,as well as your band's stuff.. Obviously if you toured with Warrent and Firehouse ,etc you're not a bedroom wanker... Well I can't say that, we'd have to ask your wife huh!!! I owned the SD 30II Combo and I wasn't impressed.. Seems everyone else is ,but nah, I have lots of better amps... I don't like to say that stuff too often on the net, but I know what impresses me . BUT all the SD80 clips have impressed me ... I mean pretty much every single one.

I have not played an SD45 and have no idea what it should sound like. Did you get it from Marc on this forum (Miles Long) in Pennsylvania by chance? IF SO , he's a pro guitarist and he knows what sounds good and not. If not, ask the guy that you got it from , if it was superbright? My SD30 was NOT bright , and neither are any of the SD80 clips I've heard. Oh well, best of luck

ERic

17. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

If that's the case - give Jeff Bober a call and describe what's going on. Maybe something isn't right with the amp; it really does sound that way. I know Jeff personally. He's a good friend. He's a good guy (understatement if ever there was one); he'll make things right for you.

Peace,

jb

18. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

There's something wrong for sure. When I wiggle the phase invertor tube, the amp squeals and pops super loud (even with the volume off). I've swapped tubes left and right and no matter which tube I have in v3, it always pops and stuff REAL loud when I barely wiggle it. I know that's not right.

CRAP... I bought this used off eBay in mint condition. The guy was selling an SD30, SD45 and SD80 out of his collection. I got his SD45 for $1,199, which is a super good deal. I believe the guy is honest and I don't think he sold this knowing something was wrong. But something ain't right.

CRAP

19. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks man, how ya been?

20. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks. I just emailed support@budda.com with info.