Just got a Budda superdrive 45

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Kinkirsi, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

This amp sounds amazing, I can get nice glassy cleans, jazzbo chords sound lush and full, thats just the rhythm channel. The dirty side is thick milkshake sounding distortion, you can get Cream tones all day long, bump the gain and you can get Van-Halenesque tones or liquid sounding tones simmilar to E.J with a visual sound h2o in the loop. With that said the cons for me is how loud this beast is, it is as loud or louder than any 100 watt amps I have heard. This may be a problem for me. I have never played with any attenuation, I am not up on which one is the best but there is no way even at some of the 500 seat venues we play that I could get the master past 3. The other problem is that my main guitar is a 2 humbucker full hollowbody, the guitar thru the Budda sqeals like a banshee with the master at 3 or 4. Having said that, none of the issues I had are anything related to the tone or build quality. Hopefully attenuation will help with some of the feedback issues, otherwise I might have to off it.:(

2. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Any thoughts y'all? Will attenuation help with the squealing? My hollowbody doesnt do this w my Cornford Hellcat:(

3. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

imo, attenuation if anything increases squealing.. It did for me , when I tried to attenuate any gainy amps.. Then again , I don't like attenuators. Are your pickups potted? If not , that's why the squealing and it's just the gain causing it. IF SO and they don't squeal with any other amp at all under any gainy circumstances.. Switch your preamp tubes 1 by 1 and see if that helps. Good luck! ERIC

4. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

My Budda Stringmaster has a built in attenuator on the Hi Gain Channel. I've used all sorts of guitars, pickups, and boosts without any squealing or uncontrollable feedback problems, although it's a different circuit. I'd give Jeff at Budda a call, he's very helpful.
    Rick

5. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

I couldnt see not using attenuation wit this amp, its so loud it makes your stomache hurt:eek: The pickups are duncan 59s, definately potted, no problem ther. Dont get me wrong, its the nicest marshall sounding amp I've played, I just need to figure out a way around the squealing with the hollowbody. I dont think it is a tube issue.

6. ericb

Yep I like 59's a lot , and in my guitars that I have them, they're definitely NOT squealies! I couldn't use certain Fralins, Seth Lovers, Antiquities,etc as all of them squealed. Seriously microphonic 12ax7 's can cause particular guitars to do this though , even though their sound might be ok.. The eziest test is just switching them out 1 by 1 , or just taking your 1st one and switching with the 3rd one ,etc.. OR if you have any lower-gain 12ax7's, 12au7's, 12at7's,etc just try them in the 1st position and see if the amp's gain or that tube is the culprit. There's not much else I've noticed that makes an amp squeal with certain guitars other than pickup MOUNTING type, pickup potting, or preamp tubes.. Best of luck... Also , you play big places, and if that amp is too loud for you , it must be LOUD!!! I had a Budda SD30 that wasn't loud at all compared to my other amps, but I've heard the 80 is, so the 45 must be more along those lines..

ERIC

7. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

I just found a Phillips 12at7, Ill give that a whirl and see what happens. I traded a semi- obscure guitar at the Philly show for the amp I really wont take a hit if I decide to trade or sell it. Maybe trade for a Tone King Meteor 2.Damn, the saga continues:).

8. meterman

meterman Member

Is it howling, as in feedback from the hollowbody, or squealing, as in microphonic pickups? There's definitely a difference...both caused by higher gain/volume levels though, I've found a certain amount of howling type feedback is unavoidable with semis and hollowbodies, it can be controlled and used and I actually like it most of the time. The squealing, microphonic feedback that is totally uncontrollable is terrible though......

9. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Yes, Its definitely from the guitar. Im thinking maybe with a bit of attenuation and my pedal board hooked up may tone down the howling a bit. Again, this not an issue of the amp, the amp sounds awesome, it just may be a bit too much for my hollowbody. It doesnt do this with the Cornford, I wonder why?

10. Ricker

Ricker Member

I don't leave home without my Hotplate if I'm gigging with the sd80.........I think the Buddas love attenuators as they are not true master volume amps in the sense that each channel doesn't have a separate volume.........also the amp sorta reaches it's full clean power output tween 9 and 10 o clock on the master so there isn't much room in between.........therefore the hotplate.........I don't know why they are designed to get so loud so quickly........maybe so there is great room to move in the power distortion volume area of the master.......I don't know.
    another thing that works is if you have say an Alesis nanoverb or something in the loop.........you have input and output controls on the unit and they really smooth the volume thang..........

Budda is raw and smooth at the same time

Cheers
    Rick

11. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Thanks For the input Ricker. I love the tone of the amp, dont get me wrong it just isnt working with my hollowbody.What kind of attenuater are you using? Could you post a clip of some clean rhythm playing, maybe post some of your clean settings? Thanks.

12. Ricker

Ricker Member

Hey Kinkirsi

I also play a Hollowbody thru my Budda very occasionally though and if the drive or volume goes up it starts to feedback............but it does this on all my amps.
    I'm using the THD Hotplate..........it's great as I often use the deep switch when chugging some harder rock stuff.
    I don't think in terms of sd80 and hotplate .......they have just become one piece of equipment now........the sd45 and 80 should really have built in attenuators..........
    Look for posts by a member here Frascati..............he did many clips comparing his sd80 sd45 and sd30(yes he had all three)
    Clean ,dirty and drive comparison clips........they are very comprehensive.............even he said that the sd45 seemed as loud as his sd80...............he did an extensive review of the 45 too with many settings..........check those threads out.

cheers
    Rick

13. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Definitely try an attenuator!

Dr. Z Airbrake is awesome for knocking it down a few db for gigs......exactly what I do with my Germino using the hollowbody Hamer Newport!

14. steelers88

steelers88 Member

I,m new to this board today, but I,ve been using a Airbrake with my Superdrive 80 for over 2 years now.
    My main guitar through this rig is my 335. I have no problem with squeeling, to the contrary I get very controllable feedback.
    I've never been into attenuators either, but this combo just smokes.
    Good luck
    G

15. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Ok, Ive got it under control now, I love this amp! I backed down the mids a bit, also backed down the drive to about 12 o'clock, now it feeds back in a good way! Is the ultimate attenuater better than the hot plate? Also, any suggestions for the best delay and reverb? The visual sound h20 is ok but it still doesnt have the analog warmth. Also would a Fender reverb tank be too "wet" for distorted lead. Ricker, I see you use a nanoverb unit for 'verb, hw do you like it? Thank you.

16. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Maybe if your willing, you can hip me to the attenuater, I could bring the Budda over if you are willing:) ?

17. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Thank you!

18. ericb

You guys , if I was to own an attenuator it'd be the Airbrake, as a friend leant me one of the DR Z's and it worked really nicely on my old marshalls and Orange, etc. BUT they don't reduce squealing at all ,and if anything would add to it as they squash the sound a bit with any type of gain . KEEP IN MIND, if reducing your volume will reduce the squealing , then turning your volume knob down will work. Good luck guys

ERIC

edited p.s. OOps, just noticed you got your squealing under control!!! SO my comments re: squeal control and attenuators are not really relevant anymore, other than , YES they will not reduce squealing. ;)

19. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Now that I have gotten the squealing thing handled, can anyone recomend the best reverb and delay to run in the loop for distored singing melodic leads. Thanks!

20. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member