Just got a DSI MonoEvolver Keyboard

Discussion in 'Keyboards' started by Modulator, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Modulator

Modulator Member

I missed out on a great deal on a used one on CL, I just bought a used one from a store in the same area. Part of me think I could have save $200 buying it when I wanted to originally and this could be the same exact synth that was on CL...

But dang, I love this mono synth! Makes me wanna get a rack poly evolver and have a nice little 5 voice poly synth one day. I had a desktop evolver before, I regretted selling it, but the addition of aftertouch and no controller necessary is a slice of heaven.

Any other DSI owners/fans?

rsm likes this.
  2. Modulator

Modulator Member

3. greenlander

greenlander Member

Nice track.

I owned a MEK for awhile but sold it about 5 years ago. Still kind've regret it since it was capable of killer sounds. It can make great electronic drums, too. In the past I've had a Prophet08 and a Tetra but all my DSI stuff is gone/sold. I did always want a Poly Evolver, though. Those sounded amazing.

Modulator likes this.
  4. Modulator

Modulator Member

I think the DSI synths might be my favorite ones currently on the market, although if I could have any poly synth right now, I think I'd want the 4 voice Oberheim. One day...I'll have those lush complex chords Like a P12 or that Oberheim-DSI crossover...yum!

For now...software poly synths it is...DX7s in software can't be that far off, can they?

5. Jimmy_Rage

Jimmy_Rage Member

Killer track, man! Nice job on the sax!

Modulator likes this.
  6. Modulator

Modulator Member

Anyone looking at analog polyphonic synths...I highly recommend the Prophet REV2. I ended up picking up an open-box desktop 8 voice for just over a grand shipped. It's not cheap, but when you consider 8 separate analog voices working in unison, that's only about $125 per voice for real analog synthesis goodness designed and made by the father of MIDI.

I ended up ordering the 8 voice upgrade (you can start with 8, then add 8 more voices for $600. 16 analog voices for about the same price as a 2 voice Moog Subsequent...
    But you will definately want a controller with aftertouch, velocity, etc. Since Dave invented midi, he uses every bit of it in his synths, Aftertouch pressure opens up a whole new world of expressive sounds from a music robot.

BTW, there is a preset called "JUMP!", and it sounds a lot like it. Vangelis...yup, it gets pretty close, especially with a Meris Mercury7 and the "LosVangelis2041" preset. Even John Carpenter sounds. I bet with a rotary pedal, like the NeoVentilator, after it, and the organs would sound really scary close.

Anyhow, thought I'd share my excitement with these two beautiful synths. I'm very fortunate in my synth life...

7. Modulator

Modulator Member

Another with the Prophet Rev2 doing the main chords.

8. Modulator

Modulator Member

Absolutely no guitars in this track too. All Dave Smith, Evolver droning throughout. One take, no overdubs. My favorite thing about hardware synths, one clock, one take. :)