Just Got A Matchless Independence!! WOW!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by McSoappy, Sep 30, 2006.

1. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Okay, so Phil really got this one perfect!! So so smooth, and SOOO versatile........this amp is everything I've been wanting since I became a "tone snob"..................I'm sure all you guys know about em' by now, but it's 35 watts, 2x12 combo, EL34's, and THREE CHANNELS!!!!

Clean is great! Really bassy, and swirly for 34's.

Middle channel is Marshall-esque crunch with crazy touch sensativity.

Red (hottest channel) is smooth, and creamy with all the gain I'd ever need. It does a great Gov't Mule impression w/ the Gain at around 1 o'clock...so needless to say it's got plenty of gain for Matchless. Okay there's the short review. Time to go back and play her a while!! Goodbye ears this weekend!!

Here's a pic of her:

[​IMG]

2. fetuspetus

fetuspetus Member

wonder how that circuit compares to bad cat's hot cat.

Ben

3. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Killer looking amp - where dya get er from? :)

4. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Seems kinda close, but the nuances are a bit different. Also, I think the Hot Cat 30 has more gain, and this one has a smaller amount of gain on tap, but the gain seems a bit more refined than than that of the Hot Cat.

5. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Got it at Midwest Music here in Cincinnati. Rusty is a great guy to deal with.

6. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

Dude..That very rocks! Sound files please?

7. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

I'm hoping to have some up for the forumites by next weekend.

Thanks bluesmain!:dude

8. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

So, here's some more Tone Report:

The clean channel cranked up has probably the most head room of any amp I've ever heard before (considering this amp is fairly low wattage). It's got this punch about it, that is just mind blowing.............very nice natural tube saturation, and not too much hair on it.

The White channel (next step up gain wise) has this really cool A/B/Y thing going on. What I mean by that is that the White channel gives you that feeling that you've got a clean amp and a distorted amp running together. It's very 3D, and has a TON of range on the gain spectrum.

The Red channel is basically the white channel with more gain layered on top of it............it's great for using as a lead tone, and then you can click back into the white channel for your rhythm stuff.

I'm very happy with this amp, and never thought I could have an amp that had three channels, let a alone an amp with three channels that I love equally! No tone discrimination here boyz!:dude

Anyone else here on the forum have an Independence?

9. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

(chants..sound files...sounds files...sound files)

10. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Sorry man, my buddy has has the "stuff" we need to record was on vacation last weekend. Maybe this weekend. We shall see.

11. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

That amp looks great. Phil is making some really sweet amps, and I love that now we are seeing some of his own designs.

12. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Yeah, it's nice to see a new face. I was beginning to think I'd never be able to own one (a Matchless amp of any kind), due to the fact that none of their amps had that much gain, and I'd have to use a dirt pedal for heavy driven stuff. I've always been a fan of an amps natural overdriven sound, and don't really like to use OD pedals, as I've found most color your sound too much.

This amp gives me the type of gain I'm looking for (think Warren Haynes' Gov't Mule tone), and still stays articulate, and musical.

WAY TO GO PHIL!!

13. Sherman

Sherman Supporting Member

McSoappy,

Congrats on the new purchase. I'm in Dayton, OH but I've been Rusty's shop. Nice guy and nice shop. If you're interested, you might join my buddies and I the next time we get together for a SWOH tone test. Lot's of boutique stuff in the area (Two Rock, %13 and Carr to name a few). I'd love to hear the independence.

Sherman

14. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

What kind of $$ does this amp cost? Is it a 1/12 or 2/12 combo? Is it as heavy as a Bad Cat?

15. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

MMM TONE TEST!! That sounds really cool. Do you guys get together on a forum for local guys? I'd love to attend. I'd love some more info on it.

16. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

These amps are about $3600, so they ain't cheap, but you get what you pay for. Three Matchless channels in one amp.

This is a 2x12 combo, and it weighs 73 lbs, so yeah, it's just as heavy as Bad Cat amps.................it's the price you pay for tone right?:crazyguy

17. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Okay, so I just took this picture, and wanted to share it with everyone. Phil did a great job with this panel, as you can see. It looks AMAZING on a dark stage:

[​IMG]

18. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

19. PaulE

PaulE Supporting Member

Does it have a footswitch for channel switching?
    Or do you a/b box it?

20. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

It's got a two button footswitch for channel switching. If no lights are on it's on the clean channel, if the left green one is on it's on the crunch channel, and if both the green and red are on it's on the gain/lead channel. Really nice not to have to have two cables to an A/B/Y and then other from the A/B/Y to the guitar. The footswitch is good quality, and seems like it'll handle the test of time.

This amp is an apparent gift from the tone gods, it's really functional on all levels.:dude