Just got a National Delphi !!!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by EataPeach, May 30, 2008.

1. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

And I'm freaking lovin' it !!! While at work I day dream of coming home to play!! I traded for it...It was made in '93...The serial number is D-006 !!

I have only played cheaper Asian models prior to this,and its just a night and day difference. I expected some differences of course,but not to this extent. The others you had to work to get sound out of.This thing rings at the slightest touch. It sounds cool finger picked or with a pic.

I have a set of 13's in,but switched the two highest strings with a 22,and a 17 on the high E. I had it in open E,then tried Open D...D was much better IMO. It sounded rounder,and more 'elastic'.

Truly inspiring to play......I know thats so cliche,but its the truth.

I'm going to look into a stick on p'up for it. Any suggestions for that and a pre-amp if needed. Thats down the road as I need gas (as in petrol) more so.

I'd love to hear from others about these killer resos.

Later

2. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Congrats - great instruments, and yes, there is a huge difference. I've owned a Dephi and a Polychrme Tricone and both were outstinding. These days it's a Resorocket cutaway and one of their mandolins and they both make me grin every time I pick them up.

As for pickups, I think it depends what you're planning to do with it. I wanted a system that would allow me to play at coffee house volumes up to band volumes. I listened to everything I could - Elderly's cone tone, Pickup the World, Highlander etc etc etc (my local luthier had an odd run on reso pickup installs so we listened to a bunch).

In the end, I bought the National/Lace magnetic stick-on pickup; it sounds as natural as any of the pickups I listened to, with just a slight magnetic coloration as opposed to a piezo(ish) quality, and for my ears a lot more musical than most. It is surprising how well they pickup the reso character. The pickup is very feedback resistant, I've only had feedback at really loud band volumes where any hollow body would. I run it directly into the front end of my Genz Benz Shen Pro acoustic amp, but have also run it through a parametric EQ then directly to a PA with great results. The pickup does not need a pre. As an added bonus, the thing work GREAT through my electric effects and tube amp, so you can get amazing stuf going with distortion, tremelo, delay etc, something most piezos won't do When I really want the full reso complexity tocome through, I use the mag in conjunction with a condenser mic, but really, it hasn't been necessary. FWIW, my luthier was so impresed with the tone, he bought a Resorocket and the same pickup.

Hope that helps. Good luck and enjoy.

3. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Congratulations on your new National Delphi. Any Pics?

4. drolling

drolling Member

Yeah - we need pics, in fact:worthless

They're great guitars - Mine's got this funky antique bronze finish, like the cover plate on their black walnut mandolins, except the whole body's bronze.

Was a tough choice, tho' - Place I bought it had about 20 different Nationals and, of course, I had to play them all.

The Delphi's basically an upgraded version of the old Duolian (or Triolian, depending on the year) and the steel body has the ultimate *blues* tone for finger picking and/or slide. Brass is nice, too. But the steel's got THE sound, for me, anyway

Also picked up one of those Lace/National p-ups straight from the copmpany. Phoned them up and talked to the president himself. Nice guy, and their guitars are as good (or better, imo) than any National ever made..

Congrats!!!

5. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

Here it is..

It has a green to black fade to it,its not my lighting etc.Though the fade is more subtle in regular light VS camera flash.I love its 'strange' color scheme.

BTW- How do you guys keep your action on these for slide playing? At the first fret..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the info guys.

6. drolling

drolling Member

Not at the studio right now, but I can tell ya all the new ones I played had pretty hi action - for those slide players who NEED to bear down on the strings, I guess. I let the weight of the slide do the work, as I prefer the tone, plus it lets me use a slide with ALL my guitars, regardless of setup.

Grant at 12th Fret, where I got mine, filed down the 3 high bridge slots (G, B, & E). Apparently, thats why the little hand rest over the bridge is now screwed on instead of welded - no more taking the entire coverplate off the cone to adjust the action!

He didn't touch the nut at all, IIRC..

Recently picked up a Resolectric & left the action as set at by National.

You should probably call Don at National to pick his brain - Very knowledgeable & friendly guy who's always got the time to talk resos..

Again, congratulations!

and thanks for the pix - she's a beauty

7. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I've kept the factory action on my Resorocket too. Just seems to fit the guitar, and for my ears I find Nationals come into their own when you play them aggresively and the higher action helps with that as well. I agree with drolling - let the slide work for you. Typically I use the heavy pyrex slides and can go from my tele with 11's and a standard setup to my National without so much as a pick change.

Nice looking Delphi. Mine was a geen burst too, cool finish. Now time to play it until you're down to bare metal!

Drolling - you should post a pic of your bronze finish. I have what I think is the same finish on the coverplate of my mandolin and it's beautiful against the burst. Must look great on the whole guitar. The Duco finishes (particularly the gold) look pretty amazing as well.

8. drolling

drolling Member

Hey - I'd love to show 'er off, but I don't have a celphone/camera, or even an old 'analog' camera, for that matter. www.12fret.com has great pics of the whole line (antique bronze AND the Duco finishes too!) Apparently, the Ducos are sprayed outside & the weather has to be just right (humidity? barometric pressure??) for the effect to take.

Unfortunately, I've got no idea how to create a link to make the images appear here. Your mando was the inspiration behind the bronze Delphis - They've had a few come thru' the store & they get snapped up pretty fast. I'm a sucker for a pretty face, but I also really dug the way this particular guitar played/sounded compared to the 3 or 4 other Delphis they had at the time.

I'm not a 'relic'-type guy, as I've got a natural born talent for messing up an instrument aa soon as I get my hands on it, but they had a relic style O that just knocked me out!! Don't know how they did it, (cryogenics??) but it had TONE that was at least as good as the best vintage Nationals I've had the pleasure to play over the years at a fraction of the price. All the *vibe* & "feel" of a '30s reso, with brilliantly implemented modren features too; Like the truss rod that you access thru' what looks like a worm hole on the headstock.

It was tough getting out of the store with just one of their guitars..

9. ModelT

ModelT Supporting Member

Hi Eatapeach

Seems your National and mine are cousins :

[​IMG]

10. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

jgm--my action is pretty low,like the prior owner only finger picked. I can fret it easily. I am a bit heavy handed when playing slide so if I'm not careful I 'bottom out' when I play aggressivelly. So I may raise it somewhat.

ModelT-Nice Tri cone-They do sound sweet.

FWIW-I have been using ceramic slides,and I use a thumb pic plus bare fingers.

11. mrmuzikhead

mrmuzikhead Member

Congrats on the new Delphi! I love mine too. They take you to a special place. If you're into magnetic PU's National has this new option. The "Hot Plate" http://store.nationalguitars.com/hot-plate.aspx Great idea. Please check out Chris Whitley, he was unreal........

12. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

Chris Whitley is one of my fav artists...

I'll check out that p'up

13. Martyk

Martyk Member

LOVE mine, bought it last year and it has really developed an even better sound after some foolish pounding by moi. In November 07 I also flew out to SLO and toured the factory with Don - now THAT was awesome. Great guy. Got me to play all the models there and now I'm drooling over an El Trovador - the sound was HUGE.

14. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

What did you do to it?

I just got done playing for about two hours....I just love every tone this thing makes!!

15. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

What do you guys pic with? Fingers or pic/s?

I have been experimenting with where I play ,near or far from the bridge etc..I am simply amazed at the various tones this gutar can put out.Its the best move I have made in a very long time...
    Every cliche on the TGP goes for this one ! : )

16. ModelT

ModelT Supporting Member

90% fingers, 10% Wegen gypsy pick. I really like to make the tricone sound like a gutstring guitar/lute/medieval kind of instrument.

17. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Mostly bare fingers, an occasional flatpick.

Make sure you try D'Addario Flattops - they reduce the finger and slide noise but still sound like phosphor bronze acoustic strings. I run 13's and the thing thunders. :AOK

18. drolling

drolling Member

+1 on the Wegen picks. I use the 'gypsy' model too, but that's mainly because I had a few spares in the case I keep my 'Django'-style archtop. I'd like to try the big triangular ones someday. But starting at 15 bucks a piece, I'm always on the prowl for a cheaper alternative.. Been meaning to try out one of those 'V' picks I've heard about here at TGP.

Altho' I really like the bevel & the material (??) of the Wegens, a big factor is thicknness. As an ''old-school' player of heavy-strung teles w/jacked-up action, I used to think that 1/2 a mm. was pretty thick - now I'm up to 4 mm.'s and on the lookout for 5s!!

19. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

I'm going back and forth regarding fingers VS pics of some sort. Both ways sound equally incredible. I'll have to read about the Wegans...

My GF is starting to get jealous of the guitar : )

20. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I have a Hotplate. I also have a Delphi (mine's blue, bought new in '98.) Recently, I got an M2 and, as much as I love my Delphi, the M2 is a much better fit for me.

I've had the 'plate on both guitars, string with nickel 12s (either SOB or Pearse, which is what National uses.) There's a remarkable amount of cone sound, more than the National/Lace definitely. However, it's definitely a magnetic sound -- the stock pickup is a Lollar Special T. Feedback is, of course, hell. But it's worth it!