Just got a new Lentz to try! OH MY GOD

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by wichita, May 14, 2005.

1. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

WEll I fought traffic to Fed Ex last night as I had missed the driver at my home earlier in the day.
    I braved the hour round trip in order to pick up a new blue Lentz guitar with tele style bridge and pickup and ATOM P-90 style neck pickup.
    Three way switch and volume volume tone arrangement.

This thing is light as a feather, plays like butter and the sound is unbelievable.

I loved my Lentz Esquire style guitar but this one smokes my old guitar. Scott has taken this to a new level guys. Blending between the two pickups provides a wide range of tones and the pickups just make the amp sing at high gain settings. Everything from Chicken Picken to Led Zep and beyond in this one guitar.

Love the new look and of course the fit and finish are flawless as we have all come to expect from Scott.

Dont know if I can send this one back.....

2. empty71

empty71 Member

WE WANT PICS!!!!!:dude

3. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

What body shape is the guitar he is doing now?

4. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Where has Scott Lentz gone? For the last couple of months when you google for his web page all you got is a site that was for his forum. Now this site says it is in "maintenance mode". Scott - do you know the status?

Buddy Whittington plays a Lentz and the last time we spoke he was highly recommending them. I checked them out then, but was not in the market to buy. Later, when I had some funds, I could not find them!

Curious -

Tone Disciple

5. RAD

RAD Member

Lentz went out of business for a while because Fender stopped him using their strat and tele design.
    The old models are now very difficult to get hold of, but new ones have been released a few days ago. There are some pictures on the Lentz forum.

Hope this helps.

RAD

6. CS'56

CS'56 Member

7. John Bell

John Bell Supporting Member

They told him to stop copying the Fender headstock.

I saw a pic of the new guitar.I don't hate it or love it,but if you think I'd pay 3 grand for one...you're nuts.

8. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Thanks for the post, Lance. It is so nice to hear the raves starting to come in for Scott's new guitars.

9. Tone Disciple

OK

Apparently my computer had cached the site that was in "maintenance mode". The forum at least is up and running and can be found with a simple google search for Lentz guitars. (He apparently does not want links posted) Still no sign of a Lentz website promoting order procedures and options for his new models however, unless someone knows something I don't.

As for the new models - they look good, but I have a tendancy to balk when I have to order something in advance for $3000+ that I have never been able to play. It is bad enough to not be able to play the individual guitar, but in the case of Callaham, Lentz, StoneTree, Myka and a lot of the great botique guitar makers out there you never see any of their models out there to even know how a custom ordered piece "might" turn out. I have no problem ordering a PRS, Anderson, Suhr, Grosh etc. because I have seen and played enough of them to have confidence in the consistency of the production.

That is one thing I really like about the Gear Page. It let's you hear from people like yourself about pieces you have not been able to try. On the other hand it makes me really want more than I already have! :p

Regards
    Tone Disciple

10. Fantom1

Fantom1 Member

I just got back from the shop....

Wow, absolutely killer guitar, really incredible.

I only got to play the 2 P-90 version, but it was very, very nice.

Maybe the clearest sounding guitars that I've heard, but not shrill or everyly trebly. Very punchy. Overdriven was thick, and whatever other great tone words you could use, don't know what else to say. There was zero static noise.

As far as the assumptions on price, I would call, they are well under the 3K figure that KLB and John Bell randomly threw out.

In all honesty, the guitar was good enough to plant a thought in my head of selling my tele and buying one of the new guitars.

11. RAD

RAD Member

Hey Fantom1,

You have a Lentz Tele? If you do decide to sell it, please let me know. Do you have a picture of that guitar?

RAD

12. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I have a Lentz esquire that I love but would consider moving it in order to get several of his new things. My esquire has been on tour and is beat but plays and sounds great.

Im telling you guys I think the price point is more around 25ish and VERY WELL WORTH IT.

I would not consider buying another bolt on two pickup guitar besides this one. it is so responsive and just incredible sounding.

I want one in Gertsch round up orange with binding!

13. michaelg

michaelg Member

I played a couple of lentz teles the othernight, they will be hard to top.

14. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

my initial thought was "ugh..." but as I kept looking, my secondary thought was "wow. That may be the perfect rosewood board tele type guitar I've seen." Kind of reminds me of the Terrycaster (which I think is genius and am desperately trying to get the other guy in my band to pick up), but this is one I'd like to own.

15. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

I don't think that is 100% accurate.

Here's what Ian wrote about this: "One final note, Scott requests these preview pictures not be linked to other sites. Thanks."

Perhaps I misunderstand the intention of that request - seems to me that a link to the website would be OK. But posting pictures of the new guitars here is not OK.

Ian: can you please comment on this? I posted a link to the Lentz forum in another thread here yesterday - I'll delete that post if you or Scott have a problem with that.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

16. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

Yeah links are fine, Scott just does not want the pictures all over the internet. If you want to see them he requests you come to the forum to get the info that goes along with them. Here is the link again.

http://www.lentzguitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12

I recently added some new info regarding pricing.

17. Tone Disciple

I'll admit I may have been a little overprotective here. I agree with you that his forum asks that links to the pictures not be posted, but I saw on another Lentz thread on TGP where a guy who had posted some Lentz links had been asked to remove them so I thought I had better err on the side of caution!

Tone Disciple

18. Ogre

Ogre Member

Thanks to Mr. Wichita, I have the new blue Lentz in my happy gnarly hands. It has the typical big Lentz neck, which is wonderful. I also like the double cutaway Italianate design. It is set up perfectly, plays like it should, and sounds like a million $$. The P90 in the neck position sounds great, as well. Kudos to Mr. Lentz. Yes, you will want one. Call the police, 'cause I ain't giving it back!

19. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Oooh, and I just got an invite over to Mr. Ogre's house to play! See you soon. Thanks!!

(It's all who you know).

20. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

Ogre has all the luck!

Sam