just got a SLO 100

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by joolzriff, Sep 13, 2006.

1. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

WOW

i dont have time to write...but WOW.

report back sunday with gig results....going to do a classic rock show with it...man,it just sings under your strings for you,sustains forever even with the gain backed off...i havnt even explored it properly yet.
    thanks JOE P for the smooth transaction(a GP member) solid guy alround!!!
    cheers dude
    j

2. Blueser

Blueser Member

One of my all time faves! I am running mine into a THD 2x12 loaded with a pair of Fane Alnico Blues. Just incredible!!!

3. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

I've wanted one of these amps for a long long time. I'm a huge Mule fan, and love the sound that Warren gets from this thing (granted a lot of it is him).

Only thing that stops me is the 100 watts. I've got fears that I'd buy it and love it, but never get to play it because the wife would complain about how loud it is. After all I already get flack from my 30 watt Bad Cat!;)

Congrats on the amp man! Can't wait for the gig report!

4. Hipster Dofus

Hipster Dofus Member

Any gigs near Ft Wayne?

5. tradarama

tradarama www.PRIMEGUITARS.com Silver Supporting Member

RFT preamp tubes......WOWOWOWOWOWOWW

6. DiazDude

DiazDude Member

You're going to LOVE it. I had one for a few years and it is a BEAST!!
    It'll make you play cleaner cause it shows everything.

7. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

8. Blueser

Blueser Member

You know Jim....I tried mine with some NOS (out of the box new) RFT's, and I really was not diggin' them as much as the EH12AX7's or the new Tung Sol 12AX7 RI's. I actually preferred the EH and TS to my Mullard Shield logos in the SLO! Maybe I be crazy! What I do know is that the SLO through those Fane Alnicos rock the house!

9. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

I've been wondering if the Tung Sol RI's were worth checking out......looks like they are definitely worth it. I'll be checking them out soon.

10. Blueser

Blueser Member

They are an excellent tube!

11. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

I've had some difficulty finding them....where did you get yours?

12. SteveStrat

SteveStrat Member

Congrats Man and welcome to the Soldano Family!!!!!! One of the best sounding amps in the biz and built like a tank!!

Rock On!!!

Steve

13. templar

templar Member

Congrats! I love mine and would rather die than part with it. This is no. 2 for me. Sold the first one I had and regretted until I finnaly replaced it 2 years ago. Between the SLO and my MKIV I can get any tone I desire. BUT!!! the SLO will work for me for any gig I've played so far. Enjoy!

14. Blueser

Blueser Member

KCA.

15. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I just have an Avenger and it sounds amazing. I can't imagine how good the SLO sounds. How are the cleans and the slightly crunchy tones. I know the gainfull tones are amazing. I run mine with a JCM800 sometimes. They compliment each other greatly. I'm running the JCM800 with a Marshall 412 with Greenbacks now. The Soldano is going through a 412 with Rola 80 wass celestions. Which celestions sound the best through the Soldano. The V30s are very midrangy with this amp. Very tight and almost not nearly as broad tonally as the Greenies. How would celestion 75 watters sound?

16. Blueser

Blueser Member

The lead and crunchy tones are spectacular on the SLO. Because of the shared EQ, the cleans can be a bit middy when the lead/crunch is dialed in perfectly. To balance that, I use a Barber Barb EQ pedal, which is basically a 3 band EQ pedal voiced like a Fender preamp. It scoops the mids out of the clean, and really compliments the tone beautifully. I love it!

As posted above, I use mine with a THD 2x12 loaded with Fane Blue Alnico's. Just incredible!

17. templar

templar Member

The straight clean with out the extra gain of the crunch switch engaged id OK. There's not a lot of ultra clean headroom, but thats not what I bought the SLO for. I have other amps for that kind of thing. With the crunch switch engaged I love this sound in channel 1. You can get lots or little grit/crunch depending on where the gain is set. Channel 1 has a nice punchy sound that's not harsh or cold sounding and always sets well in the band mix for me. I really beleive the DeYoung transformers make a difference in the SLO opposed to the Mercury Magnetics transformers used in some of the other Soldanos I've owned. I've read that KT-66 power tubes make a toneful difference. I like the stock Sovtek 5881's though because they are cheap, plentiful, and have always been very dependable for me. I use them in all my amps that were designed for 6L6. The 5881's put out slightly less power, but they will take high plate voltages and and can be biased on the upper limit and hold up well. At least they do for me.

18. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

i am running the gt75's right now and they are doing fine but not my cup of tea....i need greenies put in my cab(for my taste)...the 75's are ''well heavy metal'' if thats ya bag and i can get a classic rock tone but the 75's sting me with a treble at louder volumes or a upper mid spike(not sure what it is)...the only head i have that i like 75's with is my jubilee running 6550's.........ive sold a lot of amps in the past because i didnt like them,well now i think the cab was the problem,not everything suits these 75's....real finiky.

19. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Will the Hot Rod 50 get close to the same gain as the SLO or the Avenger? It is a bit more affordable.

20. McSoappy

McSoappy Member

Thanks Blueser! I appreciate it......I think I'm gonna put some in my Hot Cat 30!:JAM