Just got a Small Fry, don't know if I like it...What to get instead?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by imguitardan, Feb 29, 2008.

1. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I got this from Musictoyz so I can exchange it. I still have a few more days to decide. If you had $150 credit w/ Musictoyz, what med gain OD would you get (& why)?

I have an Eternity and am looking for something to hit after that (a little more gain, maybe). Not really looking to stack. I want something that sounds great on it's own. I have an older Barber Direct Drive which I like and is similarly voiced to my Eternity.

I play a 30 watt EL84 amp w/ P-90's in a classic rock style (late 60's early 70's).

Anything else I should look into?

2. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

skip an exchange. get your money back and spend 130 bucks on a cmatmods brownie with fr8_trane specs. last time you'll worry about a higher gain pedal. just my .02

3. brewbaker

brewbaker Supporting Member

I have a Small Fry and found that tweaking the trim pots inside was critical to getting the sound I was after. I don't use it with much gain and I keep the compression threshold up--I do hike the volume up to push the amp more. That gives me a combination of tones from the pedal and overdrive from the amp. I dig it a lot especially with humbuckers--gets into Dumble territory depending on the amp. YMMV.

4. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

I TOLD you to get the Barber BUEQ. :)

5. Jam119

Jam119 Member

I agree with Brew here... Delve into the trims... The note shape trim is awesome for single coils and P90 Pups... If you have a certain voicing in mind and your finding it hard to dial - Call Dave Barber Direct - he's always available and very helpful with matching the guitar to the pedal to the amps voicing...

6. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Put a BB4024 (I think that's it) chip in there too!

7. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

I've got some alternate op amps on the way. I hadn't had a chance to tweek the trim pots before my 1st practice with it. I have since and it seems that no matter what I do, the voice doesn't really change. Seems to shine the most as a distortion with the comp on and gain up. The less gain tone sounds thin and brittle (and there's a little fizzy distortion under the surface...almost like running a non true bypass pedal in your chain (while off) with the gain all the way up so you can hear it bleed into the background).

I hope to get another chance at it but so far, I'm unimpressed. Especially as "versatile" as people have claimed it to be. Yes, it can be a clean boost, an OD, or a distortion but it only sounds best as a distortion to me. I've seen it compared to a Lovepedal Eternity (no), and a Zendrive (I'll check that out this weekend). Hopefully I can take this all back after some more tweaking....I hope I can.

8. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

+1 here on the CMATMODS Brownie. The best high gainer!

9. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

The Brownie definitely seems like an option. I'm not sure that I need high gain. That's part of the problem. If my amp is humping (how I like to run it), the Eternity sounds great. I just want a little more. I know I could stack in front of it but I'd rather not. Sometimes I can't turn up as loud and in that situation, higher gain might be necessary.

10. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Well I got my Small Fry. At 1st I didn't like it that much. I didn't have any time to mess with it before practice. I just plugged and played. It seemed to have less headroom than many of the boutique pedals that I'm used to (it had enough...but not much to spare). The OD sound was alright but not great (there is always a fizzy tone below the surface, almost like a non true bypass fuzz is bleeding thru the signal). This pedal actually does the med/high gain dist best. I tried the recommended Dumble setting ("$20,000 amp setting") which was proposed to be similar to a Dyna Red. It sounded good but muted because of the amount of compression dialed in. I like the pedal best with the gain all the way up, the dynamics all the way up (compression off) and tone at about 3 o'clock with the toggle left (stock Burn Unit mode). I reset the internal trim pots: Presence - noon, Mids -9 o'clock (boosted), Bass - 3 o'clock (cut), Note Shape - 1 or 2 o'clock. I also switched the stock op amp for the Burr Brown that everyone (& Barber) seems to like. It really boosted the gain of the pedal. It mad the middle and right toggle into kind of muted fuzz pedals.

(I tried this OP Amp in my Eternity and it was too much for the pedal to handle. Also tried it in my Direct Drive but it list some of the mids)

In the end, I sent the Small Fry back...it grew on me but I could nearly get my favorite tone on there from my Direct Drive and I was never "wow'ed" by it.

I did compare it to the Eternity and a Zendrive. I didn't find it could cop either that well. I'm sure that there is a setting on both pedals that'd be similar but they are not the same pedal.

I'm getting a Lovepedal Eternity E6 instead.

11. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

If you can nearly get the sound your after with the Direct drive, then you might consider the PC MOD Barber offers. It won't change the voice of the pedal, but gives the same internal trims and more as the Small fry had.