Just Got A Spider V240

leperclown

Silver Supporting Member
Hi all, just picked up a Spider v240. I like the idea of stereo (I have my Amplifire nicely dialled in with 2 x Alto TS112A's) and am paranoid about running out of volume/headroom. The Spider V240 retails in Australia for AUS$999. I got it on a 'Boxing Day special' for AUS$699. Excellent deal!

I bought the amp because I like the idea of a light 'grab and go' amp with built in effects - this 2x12 combo is only 40 pounds. (A few years ago I had the Spider Valve MKII 100 watt head + 4x12 cab. I was happy with the tones, but not the weight)

I quickly auditioned the presets when I got home and was pleasantly surprised - I found very close approximations of my five core rhythm tones (usually unheard of!): Clean ('Dragon Glass' - 30D), Grit ('Silky Deluxe'-1C), Crunch 1 ('Rock:Rhythm' - 9A), Crunch 2 ('Rock:Crunch' - 9C), Distortion ('Devy Metal'- 26D).

I think the sounds are pretty good so far. There appears to be plenty of volume, but I won't really know until band practice - I am a bit concerned about potential speaker rattle and breakup at industrial volumes.

Overall first impressions:
* Glad I bought it (it could have been a disaster ....)
* Very good sounds, irrespective of price (the JTM 45 model is very nice)
* Love the form factor and weight
* Pity there is no PC Editor - Using the IPhone editor is a bit clunky
* The editing suite on the amp works reasonably well
* Knobs are a bit fragile and very exposed
* I will definitely order the FBV3 - absolutely no practical control without a Line 6 pedal
* No midi - bummer, but I new this in advance - I would have happily paid extra for it
* No loop - bummer, but I new this in advance - I would have happily paid extra for it

Does it sound as good as the Amplifire? No, but in a loud band mix, I'm not sure anyone could tell. (At gigs, who is actually interested anyway?)

Cheers!
Paul

Rocco Crocco

Congrats! My chief com0laint for the Firehawk 1500 is the lack of Editor on PC. I have to use my Androd phone or tablet, which like you say, is clunky.

mattball826

Congrats! My chief com0laint for the Firehawk 1500 is the lack of Editor on PC. I have to use my Androd phone or tablet, which like you say, is clunky.
Considering this, I don't see them doing a Windows or Mac editor since the mobile apps used among those products are basically the same thing. As much as that hurt Firehawk and Amplifi, this has already been a much bigger negative with the Spider V line owners as well. Have to see if that impacts retailers and their purchases/returns enough to get Line 6 on a proper pc edit version.

I think they should because the design base of the other Fire Series units are Bluetooth, so mobile makes sense. Spider V is NOT a Bluetooth or mobile based system, so it's pretty dumb imo to have used a mobile app for the editors. They should have went with more the Helix based editor.

As an option some users have ran Android X86 under Virtual Box on pc's and it works to a degree. Biggest problem is the mouse/cursor use in Virtual Box as well as you have to debug edit the App for screen size options since the VB window size is really small 600x800. This sort of pita workaround is what users have been doing since the Fire series. Feedback from users and this workaround is basically "uhhhh Nooo", but it is an option.

It's a cool amp barring some features others report are lacking. Editing is fairly easy from the hardware interface, but if you spend for the FBV3 and so on, it would be really nice to Visually see what is going on given the color coordination scheme.

If it was me at Line 6 I'd have had my team having to work late and come in on Saturday mmm kay to write a proper pc editor for this product line.
In a Bill Lumbergh way

"Hey guys.. yeah.. I'm gonna need you to come in over the weekend and knock out an editor for those Win and Mac users mmmm kay..... if you can do that, that would be greaaaaat !"

bill-lumbergh-office-space.jpg

mattball826

I like the idea of the Spider v (I haven't heard one in person but I don't dislike older spider amps and I like the idea of all effects being on board, the reviews and video demos seem good etc) but I looked at the foot switch for it and it costs the same as a Zoom G5n so it may as well be a G5n into an SS amp if you're paying that much!

I guess the point of my post is to ask whether you (or anyone else who has one of these) knows of a cheaper footswitch thing that would work like a pedal board with this amp that's cheaper, like $100 rather than >$250 like the footswitch that I found costs?

Thanks!

Edit - it's the FBV3 I saw which I noticed you mentioned in your post. Is there a cheaper pedal as that costs the same as a decent midrange mfx unit?
The previous Spider lines are not in the same ballpark as the Spider V imo.

There are several cheaper and some nearly as costly FBV versions that will work with the Spider V series. You just won't get the same instant feedback from the pedal like the FBV3 is capable of. Nice to have that color coordination and graphical display.

mattball826

So what you're saying is the Spider V is not total crap....just a much more improved version of crap:aok
There are some describe the SV's as Helix-ish but amplified. Since I have both, I can agree to an extent. They did a good job with the Spider V. Do I prefer the 120 and 240? Yes, headroom makes a difference. Same can be said for Katana and Blackstar as well. The lower scaled units have the so so impact on buyers, but the higher power units have users going hmmmmm this is really good.

Several sub $500 modeling combos that have been well received by guitar players and even a few tube lovers in great numbers.

Just like guitars, amps anything else... every product has a market in that price demographic. Does a $200 modeler sound as good as a $2500 modeler? No and who would expect that? Will a $200 or $500 Spider V combo be the next all tube Friedman? Hardly.

I look at like a few guitars I have.

Singlecut PRS Se- nice but cheap pu's/hardware
Singlecut S2- much better hardware and pickups, not the actual SC level of quality
PRS Singlecut- Now we're talkin, but also paying 5x the Se price, and 2.5x the S2 price.

All of which are very giggable guitars I have used at many gigs.

Last edited:

luv

I will look that up - any concessions in performance or is it more or less the same? (Someone mentioned that other ones may not be as fast to react as the mk3?)

Main difference would be the lack of LED screen on floorboard (what bank and patch am I switching to?) and no color coded switches (which I love about the FBV3). So yes, considerable difference in performance, IMO.

leperclown

Silver Supporting Member
I just ordered the FBV3 - AUS$439 (63% of the price of the amp!!). However, a floorboard is absolutely necessary for this amp.

The Spider V240 has a 'no amp' setting in the amp menu. When I have the time, I'll run the Amplifire through the Spider V on this setting. Could be interesting as the SV has FRFR speakers. Could be a good mono 'grab and go' combination,. Also, I will try 2 x Alto TS112A's in the SV's line outs - should give astonishing (but impractical and possibly hazardous) sound pressure levels....

On another point, the SV series has RJ45 midi connectors - Has anyone heard of a RJ45 to 5/6/7/8 pin din midi converter plug/cable? (It would then be possible to control the Amplifire with the FBV3 board).

Cheers!
Paul

Last edited:

Jchrisf

Silver Supporting Member
There are some describe the SV's as Helix-ish but amplified. Since I have both, I can agree to an extent. They did a good job with the Spider V. Do I prefer the 120 and 240? Yes, headroom makes a difference. Same can be said for Katana and Blackstar as well. The lower scaled units have the so so impact on buyers, but the higher power units have users going hmmmmm this is really good.

Several sub $500 modeling combos that have been well received by guitar players and even a few tube lovers in great numbers.

Just like guitars, amps anything else... every product has a market in that price demographic. Does a $200 modeler sound as good as a $2500 modeler? No and who would expect that? Will a $200 or $500 Spider V combo be the next all tube Friedman? Hardly.

I look at like a few guitars I have.

Singlecut PRS Se- nice but cheap pu's/hardware
Singlecut S2- much better hardware and pickups, not the actual SC level of quality
PRS Singlecut- Now we're talkin, but also paying 5x the Se price, and 2.5x the S2 price.

All of which are very giggable guitars I have used at many gigs.
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/23229691/

Jchrisf

Silver Supporting Member
Later in the year when I have some more spare cash (please let it happen!) assuming no product that makes the SV60 obsolete is unveiled at NAMM, I'll definitely find an excuse to consider one :) foot controller 'n'all!

As soon as I see a good deal on one I'm getting one

leperclown

Silver Supporting Member
Hi all,

Yesterday I tried the Amplifire into the SV240 (FRFR speakers). Intriguing possibilities:

- 'No Amp' option, with all effects/parameters turned off (mono)
- 'No Amp' option, with SV240 cab sims (mono)
- 'No Amp' option, with SV240 EQ, post Amplifire (mono)
- 'No Amp' option, with SV240 stereo effect/s (chorus/delay/reverb) post Amplifire, to give stereo field

The 'No pre-amp/power amp' option on the Spider takes away a bit of the PITA caused by not having an effects loop

While I wasn't able to crank the volume, first impressions were very positive - great sounds with much tweakability - probably work just as well with my GT-100

Very portable/quick set up option (compared to 2 x Alto TS112A) with a back up capability if my Amplifire pedal board goes down (I have the Spider FBV3 controller on order)

Cheers!
Paul

lspaulsp

Platinum Supporting Member
Downloaded the app for my tablet. No pre EQ only post. Wow that's weird.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom