Just got a TIM last week ! :)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dmbandtimmy, Oct 7, 2006.

1. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

Hey guys! I just got a TIM about a week or so ago. What a great pedal. I didn't want to post until I got to use it in a band situation and run it through its paces. This is one cool pedal.

I love the cut funtion of the bass and mid contols, what a cool feature. It has more gain then I thought too (with boost on).

I have been really enjoying my OCD lately and when I first got it I was comparing it to that sound. However, the TIM has something totally different going on. As much as the OCD is uncompressed I think IMHO the TIM is even more open sounding (maybe because it has a different sound going on). The jangle that Paul described to me is definitely there. What a cool pedal. If you don't have one definitely get on the list. :dude

P.S. Im going to my buddies house today and hopefully will have a chance to record some clips to post. We were planning on practicing today, but the singer hasn't called back :( Maybe I can get full band clips later this week too.

2. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Magic pedal, and one of the all-time gear bargains!

I've been using a Timmy on my pedalboard alongside a Klon and an RC boost for quite a while now and I just got my second TIM a few weeks ago. I won't be silly enough to sell this one.

I've been running my TIM into my little Trace Velocette for practicing at home and I pretty much leave it on all the time and then kick in the boost when I want a bit extra.

There's really not a lot you can't do with the TIM as far as boosting and low-medium gain overdrive goes, especially with an EQ in the loop.
    [​IMG]

3. onehourlater

onehourlater Member

what else have people put in the effects loop and what eq's are people using?

4. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

I believe the ideal thing would be A combined compressor/EQ and I believe Paul is working on one.

Folks have had a lot of luck with both the BJF and Morning Dew EQ's in the TIM loop.

I tried a Honey Bee in the loop of my TIM once and I thought it sounded great! Switched on for solos it was really sweet.

5. onehourlater

onehourlater Member

Nice maybe ill wait for the compressor and order a Tim, Timmy and compressor! I was looking at the Timmy to Tim difference and I still don’t quite have the right idea, I was comparing a Timmy to an eternity -close? or out of the ballpark?

6. Grant Ferstat

I find the Timmy and the Eternity very different. It wasn't the sound I go for, and it's not as open-sounding as the TIM/Timmy in my opinion. It really did sing though...

The Eternity is great in it's own right and I know a couple of guys who love them. I think I'm going to prefer the Purple Plexi I have on order.

7. CaseyI

CaseyI Member

And the ever popular question, When did you get on the list? I got on in september so I know I still have some time to wait.

8. sandman

sandman Member

How's Tim/Timmy with brigther amps like Fender Twins? Can you dial some extra mids with EQ controls? Is gain too sharp in BD-2 manner?

9. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

The eq is very versatile. Not at all like a BD-2. You can't really boost mids ( I use my MDEQ to do that) because there is only a bass and treble cut, but you can really change the character of the pedal by rolling off the amount of treble you want. The eq is very useful and has an immediate and dramatic effect on the tone of the pedal. Subtle movements are noticeable, unlike many other pedals' eq sections.

As far as the Eternity, it is nothing like the Eternity. I have both and they are very different. The Tim is completely uncompressed without a mid hump. The Eternity is a great pedal, but it has some compression and some accent in the mids. Not entirely like a TS, but I think that is the closest common-knowledge pedal to compare it to. It has some amazing harmonic complexity and sustain that a TS does not have, but it is a smoother od, like a TS, rather than the grit that can be found in the Tim. The Tim can also be used for applications from all the way clean boost, to classic rock type gain levels.

10. sandman

sandman Member

Thanks. Another one, is there any overlap/similarity beetween Hotcake and Tim/Timmy?

11. gazeglow

gazeglow Member

I would agree with cbpickin... I too have both a Tim and an E, and I think he's right on the money... both are awesome at what they do, but they're in different ballparks.

Tim = uncompressed, somewhat flat EQ, jangly, boosty
    Eternity = singing, mid-accentuated, complex, smooth

As for how Tim/Timmy compares to a Hotcake, the Hotcake is far more compressed than Paul's pedals, and gets a bit fuzzy/muddy at higher gain settings. Not that that's a bad thing necessarily, just a difference.