Just got a Timmy - Killer!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Loobster, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Loobster

Loobster Member

With my ASAT Special it's just awesome. So open, so musical, so versatile, so transparent. Just like the amp and guitar with more...MUCH more. I'm in love.

2. sandman

sandman Member

What can I say but welcome to the club! :banana

3. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

My fave little box!

I have two running different opamps. With that EQ, swappable opamps and the DIP switches inside there is much fun to be had!

4. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Who makes the Timmy? How much does it cost? Where can I buy it?

5. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Do you like it? Tell me about it. What are its strengths?

6. Loobster

Loobster Member

Umm, what?

We're talking about the Timmy...

7. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

I sold my first one then realized I made a stupid mistake. Bought a second one again in the emporium and vowed not to make the same mistake twice.
    On the same note here guys,, I recently picked up a NOC3 Puredrive small version.
    This is also an excellent OD with a ton of different options. Its incredible.

8. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

I hear these are perfect for pushing old Marshalls. Would you agree with that?

Mike

9. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I know I screwed something up on that last post....nonetheless, what does the Timmy cost?
    Is it only sold online?

10. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Which two are you using? LM1458 and BB2604?

11. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Dude you're a little late to the party:jo but don't worry, we're here to help.:)

Just use the search function and type in Timmy. There should be enough posts to keep you going for a week or two. Happy reading.

12. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

the all time great swiss army knife of pedals. It doesn't so much do it's own thing as it can imitate any other pedal. I can get it to sound similar to my honey bee and an eternity. For those of you who don't know, a Honey Bee and an Eternity sound NOTHING alike. That is how much ground the timmy covers if you work the knobs correctly.

it's an amazing stacker too

13. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Gotta love the Search Nazis around here...sorry you've had such a hard time getting the question answered.

The Timmy is made by a guy named Paul Cochrane. He builds them as a part-time, sideline gig. I think his full time job is working for an amp company. IIRC, the Timmy is $110 and the Tim is $169. The Tim is similar but has two channels and an effects loop.

There is a fairly long wait list for these. I received mine earlier this year after about a six month wait.

Paul is a member on here. Search on the member name PaulC and his contact info is listed in his TGP profile.

14. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Paul's no longer working for the amp company anymore so I think he's starting to get on top of that waiting list bit by bit. In any case his pedals are still one of the bargains in boutique pedals if you're prepared to wait a while.

15. charless

charless Member

My question is how is the EQ set up on the Timmy?

For example, the OCD has the HP (Vox/Marshall) and the LP (Fender/transparent) style EQ options.

How would the TImmy compare in this regard?

And does it have the dynamic response similar to the OCD?

16. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

Hi,

There is no analogy that works here. The timmy's eq is set flat. From there you can cut freq's via the treble and bass knob which are EXTREMELY effective. As I said before, with tweaking, (also has clipping options in the inside via DIP switch) I was able to mimic almost any overdrive pedal I put up against. Can it sound 100% like an OCD? no, but you can get a very similar result; ie it can easily cover the same ground. Can it sound 100% like a tube screamer? no, but again, can get you very close.

17. Dr Git

Dr Git Member

Sounds really cool...Mine should be here very soon

18. charless

charless Member

Thanks for the clarification .. although I see there is no MID knob so I suppose the mids stay were they are?

C

19. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Member

Sorry to jump in. I don't have a Tim/Timmy (interested though!), but in my experience if you have control over the high and low end, you have control over the mids:

high cut + low cut + volume up = mid boost!

20. sandman

sandman Member

exactly! it's flat in the mids most of the time unless you really give it some cut! but then it still depends where you have your gain set as it interacts with EQ section.