1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Just got a Titanium tremolo block!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by exodus, Jan 9, 2006.

1. exodus

exodus Member

Well, I just got a titanium tremolo block for my custom shop '69 strat. If you get one, make sure you have an electric screwdriver.;)

Anyway, my first impression is that it is pretty damn cool, and lives up to a least a few of its claims.

The first thing I noticed was how much lighter the block is. When I first picked up my strat with it installed, (which is already a lightweight sub 4lbs alder body), the guitar really felt different. It made an immediate difference in weight distribution between the body and neck--not in a bad way either. Bottom line--this is now THE lightest strat I have ever picked up.

Tone? Well, I need some more time with it, but so far I do like the difference. It seems like the attack has a bit more high end snap and the upper mids are more focused. Through my McFuzz, this is a very nice thing.

I need to play with it more, but all in all I think its a nice addition--worth checking out if you find one for a good price.

2. Curt

Curt Member

I've always heard that a heavy, dense, trem block is important for sustain. Any difference is the sustain using the titanium?

3. exodus

exodus Member

that would seem to make sense, but the sustain is good, at least as good as my custom shop block.

4. drolling

drolling Member

Yikes! Isn't titanium more expensive than gold? My ex's titanium wedding ring cost a fortune - I can't imagine what a solid block of it would go for..

I know it's a superior conductor, and can understand its use in high-end electronics applications, but what are the sonic benefits when used as a trem block?

When I swapped out my zinc block for a steel one, I always figured that the additional weight, along with the shallower string-ball countersinks, was responsible for improved tone & sustain.

5. exodus

exodus Member

I think they cost about $300 new from some dealers, and can be had for about $250. But.... I scored mine for $149 ebay.

6. ricoh

ricoh Member

Travis........titanium frets!!! Now I think your on to something!!!!

7. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Who makes a titanium trem block?

8. drolling

drolling Member

Cripes! Travis, you're absolutely right!! How could I make a bonehead mistake like that? So much of those married years have been erased from the memory banks, but I do remember that the ring cost more than all the gear I owned at the time...

9. Curt

Curt Member

10. teleblaster

teleblaster Member

Tatanium Frets ! Now theres a thought. :dude I would likey some on a telewacker. ~ teleblaster.

11. exodus

exodus Member

I think the main supplier is KTS
    [SIZE=-1]www.k-t-s.com

I think that is where DeTemple gets them. Check the Detemple site, they can be purchased there as well.

[/SIZE]

12. exodus

exodus Member

I don't even know how you could level them... might have to take your guitar to a blacksmith:eek:

13. drolling

drolling Member

14. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Thanks!

15. Curt

Curt Member

16. royd

royd Member

17. mesabooger

mesabooger Member

I have a ti bicycle, it will by far outlast me.

18. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

19. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

I love my Titanium bike - sustain for days (downhill, at least).

20. drolling

drolling Member