Just got a Toneczar Dove! Why haven't people been raving about these???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by H_V_C, Feb 14, 2009.

1. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

Guys,

I just recieved a Toneczar Dove in the mail. I know, I know, I'm still on the "honeymoon" phase, but this thing is KNOCKING ME OUT! It's so harmonically rich and big and full sounding. Plus, with the all the eq and gain options, it must be the versatile pedals I've ever seen. It's a jack of all trades, master of all of them.

Right away the pedal that reminded me the most of this was my TIM, so I've been going backing and forth between the two all day. Now don't get me wrong, I still love my TIM, I've been through a lot with it. However, all the little issues (nitpicking, really) I've ever had with the Tim have been fixed in the DOVE.

First of all, not only does it have a killer Treble and Bass control (the Bass control is INCREDIBLE) but it also has a mids knob with a 3-way selector switch (mids, high mids, and presence). The knob and selector work together to give tons of different sounds, from vintage to modern and really anywhere I wanted to go. There's also an gain selector that allow a clean mode, Super lead mode, and a Xtra gain mode. All 3 are super useable. On top of that, this thing cleans up with the volume knob on my strat like no pedal I've ever used. It's really breathtaking.

I 've been using my strat through my BF deluxe , will try more with humbuckers later. I WILL BE POSTING CLIPS SOON! So please stay tuned!

2. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

Looking forward to the clips. I'm on the list myself. When did you get on the list?

3. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

I actually got mine used, and I am certainly glad I did. Don't worry clips will come. Has anyone else tried one of these? Mine is number #24, I'm not sure how many are out there, but this pedal is easily one of the best I've ever tried,
    and I have had 'em all, BJFe's, Landy's, KOTv4, Cornish SS2, Klon, Clay Jones, Ethos, Lovepedals, Zvex, PaulC, Menatones, Fulltones, Vintage TS808, ....... actually way too many to list.

4. zygoat

zygoat Supporting Member

Can't wait for the clips man. I got an Openhaus this week from the emporium and I LOVE it. Can the Dove really do "heavy"?

5. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change! Supporting Member

My favorite all-purpose overdrive.

6. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

Yes, the dove can do pretty heavy. Not as heavy as the openhaus, but the openhaus is a freaking Hi-gain monster.
    Dove has at least as much gain as a DRD, MO'd, OCD........that range.

7. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Big +1.
    I write Ed an e-mail every once in a while telling him (over and over again) how much I love this overdrive and how I use it to cover various different sounds.

8. whoismarykelly

Oh and I think people don't rave about most of the Toneczar stuff constantly because almost no one has any of it. People have a piece here and there but its not like there are hundreds of Toneczar pedals in the market and other than maybe the Openhaus, they dont show up used very often either.

9. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

True, true

10. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Well, this has me excited. I have been on the list for a openhaus, powerglide, echoczar and angelbaby... for a couple months. It seems that quite a few guys up here who have tried and/or owned all the very best of the boutique world have made the discovery of a toneczar product and then rave that it is the very best "-" ever. Openhaus is the best high gainR, the powerglide is the warmest and most musical trem, and the 2 echo pedals are in a class by themselves... and thats compared to pedals that most of us have tried and either own or clearly are cream of the crop. And now the dove...

Its either one of two things. Its the mystique, rarity and high price that are bewitching the minds of those who are lucky enough to have them, or they really are the cats meow. Im hoping on the later... because the 4 pedals im on list for are a fortune, but if they are worth it then its going to be awesome. If not, I wont have a problem selling them. I dont care what people think and I dont have any look-at-me-and-my-pricey-pedals pride issues... only thing matters is my tone and if they deliver then they will take a place on my board.

HVC! How you liking the BF deluxe? ;-)

We need some clips of the dove!!!

11. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

clips coming tomorrow, I promise

12. somedude

somedude Member

Yeah... it's hard to rave about something when you have more than a year between when the GAS sets in and when you finally decided *insert random piece of gear here* isn't that important to you and move on.

That, and not enough people own any of them for them to move beyond "rare and high priced mystique item".

13. whoismarykelly

You can get a dove or an openhaus in a few months. Its all the other gear that takes 2+ years to get.

14. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

I'm four months in on the dove and openhaus... can't wait. About 2 1/2 years on the echoczar, but I knew that one'd be rough going in.

15. somedude

somedude Member

Still, once enough people own one that there's a balance of opinions I'll think about it. Until then, it's a rare and expensive mystique item.

16. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Hell of a wait, huh? lol

One day, you will get this email and bam! Nice suprise...

This sounds strange, but Id like to hear some negative statements bout one the pedals.. just so I could help my mind balance it all.

17. H_V_C

H_V_C Member

Good luck....

I have been trying to convince myself I don't need it as well. (I can't really afford it, but it was too good to pass up.)

This thing in as close to perfect as a piece of gear can get.

18. Ted Witcher

Ted Witcher Member

I had the powerglide and thought it was awesome, a definitive product.

19. whoismarykelly

People get very hyperbolic about boutique pedals but the Toneczar stuff is very well made and they sound great. The only negatives are the wait, price, and for some, the 18v power requirement. Other than that you're only contending with personal preference and whether you like the sound or not.

20. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I look forward to those clips. It's really the only overdrive left that I want to try.

I've been through so many, and for low-med gain I always go back to stacking 2 Timmy's. It's just hard to beat the combination. From the sound of it, I think the Dove may be a true competitor.