Just got a Vox AC30CC2!!! (clips inside)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SgtThump, Oct 30, 2005.

1. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Hey guys,

I just purchased a new Vox AC30CC 2x12" combo with the Wharfedale speakers this past Friday and have spent the past two days jamming around on the amp at home.

I'm holding back from giving any review or anything this early into the honeymoon stage, but I did spend some time today recording the amp just to see what kinds of tones I can get on disk.

Check out the following clip. I'm just wanking around, so don't be surprised if you hear some boring riffage. :) Anyway, the first part of the clip is with the guitar volume knob down quite a bit to get a clean tone, the second part is with the guitar volume knob up and the third part is with a Fulltone OCD pedal slamming the front of the amp.

http://www.chrissnider.net/temp/vox1.mp3

What do ya think? I'm a Marshall "cock rock" guy at heart and always have been, but I wanted to try this new Vox for something new and different. I've never owned a Vox before, but have always been curious about them. It's not going to get the '80s tones at all, which is understandable and expected. But I think it gets some gosh darn fine classic rock and blues rock tones!

I'm curious to see what you guys think. All comments welcome! Oh yeah, I'm using a G&L Legacy with the stock single coils in the neck and middle positions and a Duncan JB full-sized 'bucker in the bridge position.

Chris

2. -=MYK=-

-=MYK=- Member

You know what you've done....

You won't be accepted back into the "M" club ever again:eek: :D

3. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

LOL! I still have my DSL half-stack, bro. It ain't going anywhere anytime soon. :)

Chris

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

oh c'mon Chris.....go ahead and give us the "honeymoon review"!

5. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

LOL! I honestly need much more time with this amp. It's kicking my ass all over in the room, but doesn't sound quite as good recorded. I hate that!

What do you think of the tones in this clip? I think it's pretty darn cool sounding, but totally different for me. I need more time to get used to it. :)

Chris

6. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

The settings are:

- Channels jumped
    - "Normal" channel volume full up
    - "Normal" channel brilliance off
    - "Top Boost" channel volume full up
    - "Top Boost" channel EQ config is "Standard"
    - "Top Boost" channel bass is at 12:00 o'clock
    - "Top Boost" channel treble is at 12:00 o'clock
    - "Master" section tone cut is at 12:00 o'clock
    - "Master" section volume is at 10:00-11:00 o'clock (VERY loud)

Back Control Panel:

- "Output Bias" switch in the "Hot" position
    - "Smoothing" switch in the "Modern" position
    - "Effect Loop" switch in the "Off" position

7. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Also, I was there trying out the amp and my friend at GC whips out a Fulltone OCD that they had in stock. I compared that to the Bad Monkey OD pedal (which I own) and both sounded equally as good. But since I was planning to buy the Vox anyway, I decided to go ahead and get the OCD. It's a greating sounding pedal, but I need to learn it more as well!

I've got alot of learning to do over the next 30 days or so.

Chris

8. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

hey Chris:

Remember the Voodoo Lab Sparkle drive, i know why it didn't do it for you, i am pm'ing u to let u know why.

Take care

9. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Hey! No man, I thought it was a fine pedal. Worked well as a clean boost and could be dialed in with a nice thick low end tone. I just chose not to keep it around, but it's still a great pedal!

Chris

10. ZiggY!!

ZiggY!! Member

Sounds pretty good... a little grainy though, but i've never been a fan of vox amps.

Ain't nothing wrong with the recording.

11. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks! Does it sound "grainy" at the end with the OCD pedal? I think it sounds killer and smooth without the pedal, but that pedal is adding a little "grain" to the tone that bugs me sometimes. I'm running the OCD in the "HP" mode right now, which adds some upper mids. I think that might be the issue. I need to experiment more with it in the "LP" mode (more of a clean boost).

12. hipfan

hipfan Member

Chris - That clip sounds awesome! Really, I wouldn't change a thing. It makes me want to revisit the AC30CC as an option.

By the way, the clean-up via volume knob sounded great on that recording. What do you think of it compared to other amps you've used? I played through one of the CC heads for a little bit, and the character of the clean-up seemed to be the best I have experienced. Much better than other amps. Curious as to what you think...

13. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks! I agree with you... This is is VERY touch responsive! That's what I love about it so far... I don't like that super compressed extreme high gain stuff anymore. I hate the way those amps feel... This Vox is much more responsive to picking, guitar volume knob, etc...

So far, I'm digging it quite a bit. But like I said above, this is VERY different for me. I've never even played or heard a Vox in person before buying this amp (well, I checked it out a few months back too, but still).

This amp doesn't do my typical hard rock stuff, but I'm totally digging the lead tones doing other styles of music! It just feels great!

14. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I think it sounds great. I'm going to have to try out an OCD!

15. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks! Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I had the "Top Boost" channel volume around 3:00 o'clock and not full on.

Next, I'm going to experiment with using the OCD straight into the "Normal" channel only. I bet that sounds better with the pedal.

Chris

16. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Chris -

FWIW, the OCD and that kind of stuff doesn't work so red hot with the Top Boost side...try it through the normal channel.

Also - if you want the real deal Queen, early Judas Priest, Deep Purple "Machine Head" era kind of tone get some sort of treble booster like a Rangemaster clone. I've messed around with the AC30cc a bunch lately and found that modern OD's and distortion are not what this head and various AC30 clones are wanting - the treble booster will impress you, and you will think "how have I overlooked this pedal?" The top boost side will like the germanium treble boosters, but there's something about the circuits that just doesn't like other OD's....

Anyway - cool amp congratulations.

Steve E

17. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

My Cornish G2 sounded wonderful with the CC. They are really , really, good amps for the $$. I thought your clips sounded fine, especially the lower gain stuff.

18. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks. I've tried the Crispy Cream before (not with this amp) and it's just too much treble for me. I'm definitely going to experiment more with this OCD into the normal channel, though. I had this rig going crazy at the store in the soundproof room (that's not so soundproof). At least 3-4 people came in there when I was playing to ask what amp I was using. It sounded AWESOME (and still does here at home)!

19. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Thanks!

20. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

I think things like the Crispy Creme and other treble boosters work best when everything is turned to the right! Also, I'll bet they're incredible with a humbucker guitar. . .Does anyone have any experience with a Vox CC and a humbucker guitar with a treble booster?