1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Just got an Agile LP

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Slipjack, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Slipjack

Slipjack Member

I feel compelled to show off my new Agile LP (as well as test out my new digital camera).

It's beautiful, the finish is immaculate. The ceramic wax-potted pups are acceptable for now.
    Smooth and jazzy when clean, crunchy and punchy when overdriven.
    It sounds good enough for now, I'll upgrade the pups later.

It's a three piece mahogany body, with a two piece bookmatched flame maple top.
    Cherry sunburst. Maple set neck. Sustains for days.

Worth the $100 five or six times over (around Epiphone LP quality or better).

The finish is top notch:
    [​IMG]

A view of the frets & inlays:
    [​IMG]

Closeup of the great fret work:
    [​IMG]

I'd take some outside shots but it's raining.

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

How is it weight-wise?

That's my only real complaint about Agiles, they feel like they were molded out of concrete rather than carved out of mahogany.

3. Slipjack

Slipjack Member

I don't have a scale but according to Rondo Music, a little under 10lbs. With a padded strap it's actually not as bad as I thought. I've played a number of LPs and LP copies that were much heavier than this one.

If I had to guess, maybe around 9 to 9.5 pounds.

4. alnico2

alnico2 Member

Looking to forward to hearing it Wednesday night through your usual setup. You made it sound pretty good last night too.

Merry Christmas!

5. tfunster

tfunster Gold Supporting Member

What model is that???? I'm thinking of going the Agile route myself.

6. Reeek

Reeek Member

I have a "good" one myself. Mine is an AL-3000 Prestige Gold Top. Although I too was OK with the original alnico Wilkinson pickups it came with, I installed my new High Order pickups in it the other day and now it not only plays like a $1000+ guiltar, it sounds every bit as good as one now too. Every bit.

I'm not sure if all Agiles are as good as the other or if, like many other guitars, you have to get "good" one, $369.95 + the $110 for the High Orders makes this one fine guitar in all respects. The only problem unless you live near Rondo Music, is that you can't pick one out. I'm very happy anyway. And yeah, mine weighs 10 pounds easy ;)

7. QuickDraw

QuickDraw Member

is that a veneer top or carved maple?
    nice looking guitar!

8. Heliman

Heliman Member

9. jcs

jcs Member

i think the maple neck and mahogany body with the thin maple top is a good tone recipe i have the agile 2000 and it is has superb workmanship especially at this price point..

i too installed highorders(huge improvement though the stock ones are better than most cheap ceramics) and will try some gibson t-tops for fun too...

btw, mine is not over 9 pounds, i guess i lucked out, i love this guitar and i own 60s gibsons-epis too as well as other japanese copies(tokai-fernandes-esp-ibanez)...

10. Slipjack

Slipjack Member

Carved maple, without a doubt.

The "lower end" AL-2000. Only difference is the pickups, maple neck instead of mahogany, and pearl inlays rather than either mother of pearl or abalone from the higher end models.

The maple neck doesn't seem to make that much of a difference that I can tell. But I can't A/B this guit properly unless I got myself an AL-2500 to compare it to.

Reeek: AFAIK from the reviews I've read of them, there aren't very many lemons. And I hear Rondo Music is very good about exchanges. I haven't had to deal with them, though, it was a gift. Got any pictures of that gold top Agile?

11. Gary Ladd

Gary Ladd Member

I thought about an Agile awhile back but just couldn't get back to the non-LP 1-5/8" nut width and the deformed horn...

If I was gonna spend $500 for an LP copy I'd just spend another $200-300 and get an early 90s Gibby Studio LP, but hey that's just me ;)

12. bigroy

bigroy Member

I had an Agile 2900, which is the chambered version. Very light, probably around 7.5lbs, but I hated the pickups. Thougt about upgrading, but it seems like everytime I do that, I end up with a $300 guitar that I've got around $500-$600 in, and no way to get my money back if (more like when) I decide to sell it.

I had the chance to swap it and a couple of other pieces even-up for a Yairi WY-1 and did so. I just replaced it with a new PRS SE Custom ($479 at GC) and it's in a class by itself. The guitar is resonant, has great sustain, and the pickups suit me to a T.

Check one out before you make the leap to the Agile. And you can try out the actual guitar before you buy it. Comes in both a stop tail and trem model.

13. Reeek

Reeek Member

Picture numbers 76-81 in my long ass album ;)

14. Heliman

Heliman Member

15. Slipjack

Slipjack Member

My mistake. I just saw the AL model spec comparison link. It still looks great though.

Beautiful guitars. Nice collection. The gold top looks outstanding.

16. Strato62

Strato62 Member

I just got my AL-2000 for christmas. I have been playing Fenders exclusively since I sold my '80 Les Paul back in 2001. I am very impressed with this guitar. It is hard to believe I got it for $100. It will not replace a Les Paul, but for a at home player like me, it works great. I have owned 4 Les Pauls in past years and have never held on to them for long. This guitar has a flawless finish. The sounds are what you would expect from it, and the only issue is a slight fret buzz. I almost wish I had ordered two of them.

17. mr coffee

mr coffee Gold Supporting Member

18. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

:AOKGot the same one a couple years back, except mine came with knobs....:) Played a gig with it that night literally out of the box. Played and sounded great.

Really good tones with 3 P90's and the switching/control setup.

[​IMG]

19. mr coffee

mr coffee Gold Supporting Member

and those are voodoo P90's and the mojotone wiring harness with gibson pots/switch .
    :munch knobs are around here somewhere.....:munch

20. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Did you use 250K's or 500K's?