Just got an early 70's ampeg V4...any good tips?

stingray666

Just picked up an early 70's Ampeg V4 in real nice shape. If anyone out there has any tips/info on these I'd love to hear em'! It has a footswitch jack on the back, what's up with that? Can you jump channels? Let's hear it!

rhythmrocker

1966 Battle of the Bands
Silver Supporting Member
If you haven't started already, begin weight training.

Also, take it to a tech (like Pete Cage) and do the following, as recommended to me by a very competent tech: get it re-capped, tubes checked, rebuild bias circuit, check components for noise/drift, clean/tighten jacks, pots, grounds; check hum balance pot (probably bad); inspect all wire leads as they enter PC board.

paulg

Funny, before opening this post I thought: "get ear plugs". Good sounding amp, just extremely loud. I'd say, get a good distortion pedal.

Red Planet

Cool. They make great Bass Amps.

I had one I used through a 4x10 David Eden XLT Cab.

I removed the tolex stripped and stainded the cab a Dark Burgandy see through, and painted the face plate with a Granite spray paint, then Clear then hand painted the Letters back on, and more Clear then put Black Tele style knobs on it. It sounded cool and look amasing. Its down at Studio B in Adairsville Ga.

Red Planet

One thing I have found its best to do besides checking all of the above is redo all the solder connections in the board. I had two V4's with intermittent problems and after having Techs look at em I fixed bi reheating every solder connection.

wgs1230

Fully Intonatable
Silver Supporting Member
The rubber shock-mounting on the V-series chasses is known to dry out and break up. You don't have to pay big money to replace it if you're willing to do the work: the big hardware chains sell larger rubber grommets (eg, for mounting toilets) which can be cut to size and work fine.

Leonc

Wild Gear Herder
Platinum Supporting Member
Buy earplugs.
Boom. The very first thing that occurred to me.

You also may want to consider either throwing out everyone else that you live with, or throwing yourself out. Do it up front and save the aggravation :).

jzgtrguy

Gold Supporting Member
Hah! I used to have one of those in the mid 70's. Paul Rivera was in San Diego at the time and I had him add a Master Volume for me and build me a cab. Really, really loud. Great advice above. Doesn't Steve Morris use one of these?

kiteflyer

The V4 is a pretty rad guitar amp for those big Ampeg cleans. On the other hand, rebias it with 6550's and good lord is it an awesome bass amp. Maybe my favorite bass amp.

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
Buy earplugs.

Buy ear muffs

Funny, before opening this post I thought: "get ear plugs". Good sounding amp, just extremely loud. I'd say, get a good distortion pedal.

see a pattern yet? :rotflmao

Let your neighbors know about your new family addition.

oh, they'll know about it alright. So will the police, too, probably :MMM

If you haven't started already, begin weight training.
oh, yes, it will pump you up for sure.

I miss mine. I don't think I ever used it above 1. You see, I had not yet learned about this thing on my guitar called the volume control, that it does not have to be on 10 all the time. Great amps, and using it for bass is an awesome idea. We are not worthy, we are not worthy. :D

Greg.C

Silver Supporting Member
There's a way to insert a pot in the rear panel, aux in/or out/or sum'tin, which works as a master volume. It's been a while since I owned one and I forget exactly.........

Trending Topics

Top Bottom