Just got Axe-Fx Magic email. Question???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tremonti, May 15, 2008.

1. tremonti

tremonti Member

Just got Axe-Fx email for an Ultra....do you think they allow you to change your mind and get a standard instead? I emailed them back yesterday but havent heard yet. Was wondering if anyone else did this??

Also...reccomend a great SS power amp to use with it...I have a Mesa poser 2:90 but I really want to completely get away from tubes. I use a Marshall 1960 straight cab with stock celestions and run it in stereo. I think it handles 300 watts...but I know I would need more than that in a SS amp because of the wattage differnce in tubes and SS....right? If so how many watts should I look for in a SS amp? I play in a cover band that plays a full range of stuff from Creed to Chris Isaak. Thanks!

2. Blueswede

Blueswede Gold Supporting Member

You may want to consider the powered speaker route. I use mine with the QSC that's been discussed and the sound is great....

3. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

4. mwc2112

mwc2112 Supporting Member

Last I head they were having some supply issues with the Standard in getting some of the parts in. Not sure if that's been resolved or not.

5. tremonti

tremonti Member

What about crown ss amps? What would I gain by using that instead of Carvin? Besides a lighter wallet....

6. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

I just switched yesterday from a Standard to the Ultra, they have no problem jumping lists as the availability is driven by date of initial inquiry. Danielle is very helpful.

As for power amp suggestions, I'm sure other forums cover this but would appreciate any other help in preparing for the day I get "the email"...

7. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I'm going to use my Alesis RA100 SS power amp to start. It's geared towards nearield monitors (more than likely the AxeFX will be implanted in my home recording setup and played through headphones and nearfields in the beginning anyway).
    I'm toying with the idea of getting a used Tech 21 power engine and running a mono signal from out2 of the AxeFX (I believe there is a way to route these outs with no cab sims assigned) and running that into the Tech 21. Supposedly they are decent - built in power, some EQ flexability and a V30 (in most). I guess you could always replace the speaker with an EV12L (? - someone mentioned that as a very neutral, good sounding speaker for the AxeFX in a guitar cab).
    Someone else on their forum was raving about a Traynor keyboard amp called the K4? Sounds interesting. Obviously the QSC (don't remember the model) amp/speaker enclosure is supposed to be the bomb but I believe they go for around $950 for one? (yikes...!)
    I'll try the Axe -> RA100 -> mono into my Avatar with CL80's first. Then, build from there.

8. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member