Just got back from a Nashville vacation... a few thoughts

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by offbeat, Jul 9, 2019.

1. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

Part of the bad sounding acoustic problem is that players have to set up in a minimal amount of time, and they're typically running their own sound. There are great players on Broadway, but most of the venues just see them as nameless entertainment. The tourists want to hear music they know, so you're guaranteed to hear the same tunes over and over, even at the better places.

Next time you go, check out the other areas of town. East Nashville has a ton of great venues where it's mostly original. The 5-Spot, The Cobra, The Basement East, etc.

Scrapperz, Coli and Tim Bowen like this.
  2. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

:facepalm

loudguitars56 likes this.
  3. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I watched a recent interview with Guthrie Trapp and he stated there are 45,000 aspiring singer/songwriters looking for work in Nashville. That is astounding. My one time there for 3 days in June of 2010, I did see JD Simo, he was jaw dropping. Saw alot of insane talent, knew I could never hack it. Went to a deli for a sandwhich and a guy playing in the corner was better than I would be if I played 4 hours a day for the next 5 years.

Traintrack and Scrapperz like this.
  4. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I would suggest you have a better chance of meeting the right people in Nashville then in most other cities. I would also suggest if you are gigging basically anywhere on Broadway regularly, you have kind of "made it" in some respects. I would not downplay tips either; I know when I visited a few times I was dropping $20's and I know my wife did as well when she visited. They push the tip jar aggressively because it works.
    And as far as being in a smaller pond, lot's of guys from my area take the trek to Nashville to record or play a string of gigs in a venue - any venue - just to be able to say they "play" Nashville.

5. soggywaffle17

soggywaffle17 Member

My favorite Nashville discovery was JD Simo playing with the Don Kelly Band at Roberts. Saw him a few times over a couple of year period, and every time you couldn’t get another person in the bar it seemed. Just packed every time. It was great. We were also slinging $20 tips in the jar. But also heard the same songs every time, and heard some of the same songs at multiple places on the strip.

I saw JD’s band in Chattanooga a couple years ago, $10 ticket, maybe 10 people in the whole place. He still played his ass off, and played what he wanted to play.

Which situation had he “made it”?

Bodhisattva and Strategy like this.
  6. sizzlemeister

sizzlemeister Member

The competition thing and the notion that "if they can't make it"... it just illustrates that ability and talent playing an instrument (or singing) isn't the only ingredient in stew of success. This would be true if you're in Buffalo or Nashville. Being in an area with a larger pool of capable musicians does give the person who sees this better tools to work with. IMHO.

7. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

Do you think it's changed, or is it the same as '09?

8. Strat

Strat Member

Broadway, the home of most of the mobile bachelorette parties in the USA ? THAT Broadway ?

dirk_benedict and BuddyGuit like this.
  9. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

I recently heard that there are 80% fewer people in Nashville making a living as full-time songwriters than a decade ago. Amazing.

10. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Hey now, we love our cats. We would never swing them or someone elses after theyre dead. :)

derekd likes this.
  11. sws1

sws1 Member

If you want originals, get off Broadway. That street is for drinking...plain and simple. Hence, the tried and true drinking songs that tourists like. If you want the best food in NYC, you don't go to Times Square.

12. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

I hear things from people I know who still work there, but I am effectively out of the loop by this point. I could speculate, but I really don't know. I am certain that there are no reasons for me to be there.

Laurence likes this.
  13. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I have a friend who is moving to Nashville. He says he is interested in the business aspect more than trying to be another hot shot.

I have another friend whos very talented daughter got a job on Broadway in NYC as a copyist. These types of jobs are available if you are open to different possiblities.

Tim Bowen likes this.
  14. Guitarheel62

Guitarheel62 Supporting Member

My former Guitar teacher was asked by one of his former Professors to record guitar parts on a project for charity.
    He went to Nashville and one evening in the studio while they were working the engineer that he had befriended asked him if he had met the delivery driver that brought the Papa John's Pizza to the studio.
    Brian told him that he really hadn't noticed the guy.
    He was told that the guy was most likely the "best drummer that he'd ever heard".

AustinIsPresent, mikebat and Laurence like this.
  15. derekd

derekd Member

I reckon things are done a bit different in Nashville than what you Northern California boys are used to.

16. guitarlifestyle

guitarlifestyle I like guitars. Silver Supporting Member

I think it's mostly the same, but what @Tim Bowen didn't mention is that tips can be quite good.

FYI: There were 343,000 people in downtown Nashville this past Thursday. That's a lot of potential tippers.

Scrapperz, Gasp100 and Laurence like this.
  17. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

I would agree, as far as songwriting goes.

In my breaks from being a tribute band icon in my local scene :), I write original songs for the country market. (Check my website to hear some of my country tunes.) I spent one decade in particular really getting after it, and traveled there to pitch tunes and meet people in person. It's the most success I've ever had and most money I've ever made as a songwriter. Got some TV placements, got a few songs cut by up-and-comers. Never could connect with the right people to crack the top tier, but I'm sure they're there.

When it comes to gigging though, I'd rather be in a place where I can get paid something decent for doing it, without having to resort to the tip thing. To be fair, I've never gigged in Nashville, so maybe I would be surprised.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  18. Coli

Coli Supporting Member

I live 2 hrs away, and I have visited many times over the years and played at Tootsie's and a few other places which have changed names quite frequently( loved Tootsie's- it was the first time I had played in a bar that got a cut of your tips!). The Broadway scene is like many have mentioned before-tourist drunk ville at night and you will here the hot 100( I dig Acme Feed and Seed because I can catch The Mixx there- funksoul brothas). When I was there in Feb, it seemed like almost every band I saw had to be students from Belmont; I didn't see many musicians that weren't twentysomethings(not that there is anything wrong with that, but it lends itself to the "cookie cutter" feeling).
    ** What seems to have happened in the last 5 or so years is that the city council has pushed the prices into the stratosphere(?)- getting a hotel room or airbnb is as expensive as any big city I have visited; a lot of gentrification going on; big draw for young professionals and start ups- "Nashvegas" seems to be more like "New Nashville" and the price tag for everything has increased a LOT it seems. I am sure some who live there definitely have a more informed perspective - I really like going to City Winery, but I just can't afford to do it as much as I would like to!

Scrapperz likes this.
  19. mikebat

mikebat Member

If there were a few "Nashvilles" it would make life more fruitful for musicians! Memphis, Nashville, Chicago, NYC, LA, San Francisco, Philly, Boston.....imagine if they were all hoping like Nashville. We wouldn't have to moonlight as pizza delivery guys.

Gasp100 and Guitarheel62 like this.
  20. offbeat

offbeat Member

smallbutmighty .... nice stuff! Thanks for the link!