Just got back from a Nashville vacation... a few thoughts

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by offbeat, Jul 9, 2019.

1. FFOGG

FFOGG Fat Frustated Old Guy w/ Gut Gold Supporting Member

I agree

Strategy and Bluesful like this.
  2. Mickey Shane

Mickey Shane apolitical Silver Supporting Member

I think John Sebastian visited there one time:

"And any one that unpacks his guitar could play
    twice as better than I will."

I lived there for a year. Way back in 1983. The Evis impersonators that work day jobs all over town kind of freaked me out. Great live bands in every club. I'd like to see a DJ find a gig there.

When I caught Sheila E. and her band at a regular club, I kind of figured it out. It's music city.

3. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Great rock tunes and playing and singing. Excellent!

4. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    I like being a big fish in a fish bowl.......
    The memes about the NFL draft this year were pretty funny!

EarleG and smallbutmighty like this.
  5. Nebakanezer

Nebakanezer Member

In a geographical anomaly, 2 weeks from everywhere
    Like your style and dig your songs!! My five year old told me to turn it up when I clicked on your rock tunes!!
    And I would put you in the successful category as well!!!

6. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

maybe your cat wasn’t dead?

7. DrSax

DrSax Member

Nashville Cats.

8. EarleG

EarleG ® Silver Supporting Member

I haven't been on lower Broadway for music, listen or play in over 25 years. I've lived in Nashville
    or bordering now for 46 years. Most of the good music places in outer areas are non country or only
    occasional. There are good alternatives not far from lower Broad but most visitors want to hear
    country music and "slim pickens" beyond the tourist areas.
    On the more virtuoso guitar guys - they don't show up often in the bands paying big. Generally it
    is the good versatile players who sing well and often play other instruments. Most of these acts
    for the last 50 years or so tour outside Nashville. Even those guys need multiple income
    sources and/or a spouse with a good job.

9. FuzzyAce

FuzzyAce Member

[​IMG]

10. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

I reckon so, pardner.

derekd likes this.
  11. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Yep. On a lot if my song demos, I would hire out the instruments I couldn't play, like fiddle and pedal steel. I would pay the demo house $100 or whatever, and then find out the person who played my tracks is the same guy who just got back from touring with Garth's band, or Brooks and Dunn, or whatever. Those guys come back from their summer tours, and have to hustle all winter just like everybody else. It's nuts.

beanbass and EarleG like this.
  12. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Well, once someone wrote “Brown Eyed Girl”, “Simple Man”, etc., the demand for songwriters was greatly diminished, ya know?

Tim Bowen, Crowder and Nebakanezer like this.
  13. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

Yes, there will be opportunities Anywhere, Planet Earth for astute individuals, and I don't mean to be flip in putting it that way. A young friend / former associate has been living and working in Nashville for the last eight years. She got hired as a staff writer for a couple of publishing companies, which is a scenario where one shows up at 8 or 9 of the AM with a large styrofoam cup o' joe and writes and/or co-writes songs for the next shift, or until the ideas are spent for the day.

There's always work for the hungry. We're talking about a town where Dumb Down the Lyrics is the preferred moniker/mission statement for breakfast cereals, lifestyles, and house notes. She did it for as long as she could stand it. She eventually settled into earning the bulk of her income as a vocalist with a top tier corporate/variety band that travels a lot and which is a cash cow. And she makes her records, and does her solo and full band gigs, and co-writes with the artists/writers she respects, in Music City U.S.A. Thirty years old, she is, and she has a life. She said no to the cookie cutter aspect of it all, and I have loads of respect for her in choosing thusly.

Scrapperz and amstrtatnut like this.
  14. boldaslove1977

boldaslove1977 Silver Supporting Member

I've been to Nashville once. For one night. Every player I saw was off the charts good. On a Tuesday night in November. Can't believe they were all playing for tips.

I'll never forget checking out of my hotel the next day and the doorman type who helped me with my bags was telling me how he's done some small-scale touring as a drummer. And he basically said assume everyone you see in this town is a better player than you. He was joking... except he wasn't.

FFOGG and Scrapperz like this.
  15. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

I’ve never been there but it sounds interesting.

16. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Not one mention of hot chicken.

I’m from Nasvegas (Mom and Dad both worked at Vanderbilt), and watched the city evolve over the decades returning to visit folks. Still music city, and so much talent on hand. Like most great scenes, it is worth fishing the banks and avoiding the midstream.

Dang fine dining, too.

17. 27sauce

27sauce Member

One thing I’ve never figured out about the players, guitar players in particular, that move out there is what’s the ultimate goal?

Amazing players playing bars for no more money than mediocre players make in Phoenix.

Is it just to play?

You’d think it’d be to land a side guy gig, but I often see Nashville touring acts with players from all over. Shouldn’t they have the pick of the litter? Definitely more players than gigs.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  18. markmann

markmann Member

I was there a few years ago and had a good time. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to hustle for work there.

19. Ldavey

Ldavey Silver Supporting Member

Timely thread in that Summer NAMM is being held there next week. Good discussions and points (and humor too) IMO.

Have been to Nashville a few times for several days at a time within the last decade; made it down to Broadway each time, and was wowed seeing J D Simo and Daniel Donato at Roberts (together, once).

20. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

On my list of to dos - was hoping to make a trip to see Isbell in his Ryman stand but missed out on the ticket sales which were brisk....

As to acoustic guitar sounds it really is tricky business it seems - heck I heard Dwight Yoakam a few years back and his acoustic sounded really thin and piercing in the mix ... and he's been doing it for more than a minute and has a pro sound guy. Maybe he wanted it that way with to augment the overall band sound but it was a little challenging to my ear. From rig rundowns it seems like the Fishman Aura DI setups are pretty popular (the spectrum DI and presumably the aura pickups) but I'm guessing in the sort of walk in and plug in gigs around Nashville that is a luxury rather than an expectation.