Just got back from Vermont with my New Winfield amp !!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fabulusfab777, Apr 8, 2008.

1. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Supporting Member

Hey Guys !!!

I just wanted to share a bit of what happened Sunday. After a lot of research, reading forums, reviews, listening to soundclips and asking myself : What do i want in an amp.... i decided to go and buy a Winfield Thomas, WINFIELD model 18/30 watt. I had sent the guy a couple of questions by e-mail wich where always answered back quickly btw...
    I wanted to get a nice amp with a vibe and by that i mean not just a gain machine but an amp with caracter that can do the classic stuff but also versatile if i want to play more modern. I had also decided to go with a 1 channel amp with a 'simple' signal path. No reverb, no FX loop, just pure tone...

I went to get the amp in person Sunday, since it was only 2h30 hours away from where i live. There is something really good about getting an amp built for you (was a first time for me..) and on top of that to meet the guy that built it and get him to explain what you can get out of the thing and how to.... Plus i need to add that Winnie Thomas is a really great guy, down to earth and really fun to talk to.

So then i drove back home (as fast as possible...) and when i tried the amp with my settings and cab and pedals.... its was great and just what i was looking for. Its hard to compare or say its more of this or that but the other guys that wrote it was king of a plexi meets a Vox had it right.
    Nice vibe and really great tones.....

I'm a happy camper.....

2. bgood

bgood Member

congrats - they sound like really nice amps from what I've read.

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Jealous.... I can't say anything more than I did with previous posts about these amps (most of the posts are probably mine anyway :drink).
    I sold mine away to chase "the tone" and now I'm trying to find out how to get one back... did you get a chance to see or hear his other amps (the Brat or the Cyclone?). Very little is known about those but I'm intrigued with the Cyclone for sure.
    Pic's? Clips?

4. fabulusfab777

When i was in the shop, Winnie was working on a Cyclone for a customer. He said its not as Loud as the Winfield (even the 18 watt one) and different vibe with an EF86 in the front. I tried another Winfield, an 18 watt one and also a Winfield combo, wich also sounded great !! The brat is from what i understoud, a more raw sound, kind of tweedesque.

5. 5E3

5E3 Member

Congrats! I have been thinking about a Winfield as my next amp and from time to time visit his website and look at what's available for sale now. One of these days I'll pull the trigger.

Thanks for the report.

6. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

,,,i've got a Winfield 5 watter...had an 18/30 and am hoping to order up a cyclone at some point...1st class amps that are unique and very useable....

7. fabulusfab777

I've played a while yesterday, and what amazed me the most is how the amp reacts to the 'roll back your volume' thing, so far in my amp experience, its the amp that reacts the best to the change in your guitar volume and different guitar change as well. Really cool.....

8. 5E3

5E3 Member

Now that you have had your Winfield for a couple of months, how do you like it?

9. fabulusfab777

Its funny that you ask, because i had my biggest show yet last week since i have this amp. It was an outdoor show for about +/- 1000 personnes. First thing is this amp (probably like a lot of others...) is SO... loud. I thought i was going to open it up a lot and crank it. I actually did but not as much as i would have like. The sound man came on stage during our sound test to strongly suggest reducing the stage volume since he was running very little sound from the amps into the PA. Now sound wise, i am still totaly in love with this thing. I wish i could run just the amp strait (Guitar/cord/amp..thing) because i really think its how it sounded the best. I don't use that much effect but since it was a show doing cover songs, i had some delay here and there, some flanging too and since the amp is a single channel, i tried to set up the amp pretty clean and use some dirt pedal to get overdrive. Now maybe because the volume was dimmed, i found that my sound with OD pedal was a little too dark compared to just the amp strait. Also since it has no effect loop, i had to run my delay pedal (a H&K replex), in front of the amp and that too, affectted the sound.

So in general beside the pedal thing (not caused by the amp) i really loved playing the amp live and loud, natural compresson, dynamic and sustain forever. Its undeniable that it is plexi inspired but with a Voxy chime on the bright channel. If you have specefic question feel free to ask since i don'y think my review was really detailed (althought very long...)

Hope it helps a little....:BEER

10. 5E3

5E3 Member

^^^^^ thanks!

The fact that you are still quite happy with the amp is the bottom line to me. I've been wanting an affordable PTP amp with "plexi inspired but with a Voxy chime" for some time now, and the Winfield keeps popping up on the radar as a candidate. :)

11. fabulusfab777

[​IMG]

I will have better pics of the amp alone, but here it was just behind me, waiting to scream !!!
    Burgandy tolex (sweet!!!)

12. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Yep, Winnie is tops! I emailed him about an amp he modded that I bought from a fellow tgp'er. He was more than happy to explain what he did to it and gave me some suggested set-ups and tube recco's. :AOK

13. Wheels

Wheels Gold Supporting Member

I played a Winfield a couple of years ago at a NJ AmpFest. It was in a small room (set aside for lower wattage amps at the gathering) with Ugly 18 amps (& Steve), and a few others. The Winfield still haunts me. So do the Ugly 18's. Some day...

Wheels