Just got my Axe III invite...anyone try integrating it with a Helix as foot controller yet?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Guitardave, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

Just spent a little while with the Axe III Powercab.

First a question/observation - couldn't figure out how to get any signal with the Axe III AES to the Powercab - any suggestions?

Hooked up with a 1/4" to XLR cable I quickly found that the speaker modeling sounded great, Flat Mode Raw sounded great with and without an IR. I'm coming around to the idea that using the LF Raw mode may turn out to be the sleeper usage mode for me.

But I pretty quickly had a great Fender Deluxe tone with a TS808 as OD...tempted to throw the III into a rack and try it tonight but I'll likely leave that for another night.

So I'm getting great tones with the Axe III and Powercab - I'd put this up against any boutique rig I've owned.

Maybe it's my willingness to try different modes but I keep getting stellar Powercab results with both the Helix and now the III.

BKE and hippietim like this.
  2. clintmartin

clintmartin Member

Be sure and try those Carol Ann amps. They are pretty great!

3. jaded_musician

jaded_musician Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I say why not, but then again I’ve been on another guitar buying binge as of late so I have zero ability to make rational decisions.

Just ordered this:
    [​IMG]

glide-bpm, Guitardave, joec63 and 2 others like this.
  4. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

Home > Setup > I/O. Set "SPDIF/AES Select" to AES.

Guitardave and benifin like this.
  5. benifin

benifin Member

Hi Cliff !

Is the full midi spec far off (?)

Only asking as my BJ Devices TB-12 is working great with the Axe 3 .... presets, PC, CC, Scenes, Channels, Tap Tempo, Tuner-activation .... but .... there is no 2-way comm's so the Display Screen, and FSW LED's dont sync :(

Sergey from BJ Devices - who is awesome to deal with - has sent me a couple of FW's to try, but without the midi spec he's coding "blind" re: the 2-way comms side of things

Thanks,
    Ben

PS:- A minor workflow suggestion / addition ...... copying channels-to-channels is excellent and working fine but it would be great if there was the added option of " Channel X to all Channels " like with the old Axe 2 and Axe Edit 3.x where you could copy any scene to all scene's

6. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

We're working on this. Alex (the FracTool guy) is helping us with this as we're a bit short on manpower atm.

I can't divulge too much but it's not standard MIDI. The Axe-Fx III uses a proprietary communication protocol. Devices can communicate over any physical layer by wrapping and unwrapping the comm protocol. Theoretically you can control it over MIDI, Ethernet, WiFi, RS-232, AppleTalk, Sneakernet, etc. The MIDI basics are there, of course, but to access the tuner, etc. you need to wrap and unwrap the protocol layer.

The other option is that we might just add some basic MIDI support for the most often used things.

Re. P.S. I discovered the same thing the other day. I will add it to the wish list.

7. benifin

benifin Member

^^ Major thanks :):aok

Guitardave likes this.
  8. cliffc8488

cliffc8488 Member

Do you have a contact at BJ Devices? Can't seem to reach anyone. I've done some basic implementation and can provide them with details. We should take this to PM.

Guitardave likes this.
  9. BKE

BKE Member

Hey, was looking to see if you had posted anything from your experience with axe fx3 but hasn’t logged in so so didn’t see your reply to my post. Sorry, and thanks for taking the time to post your initial findings. Am very close to pulling the trigger, wondering how you find it now after a little more time?

10. Guitardave

Still liking it a lot. Was disappointed with trying to dial it in thru studio monitors but with Powercabs it's excellent.

BKE likes this.
  11. BKE

BKE Member

Cheers, think I’ll take the plunge!

Guitardave likes this.
  12. Guitardave

Well - no fault of the III but I just put it up on the Emporium. Not using it enough to keep it....looking for a trade for other high end gear.