Just got my Blue Boy Deluxe...WOW! Need some suggestions.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tolstoy, Jul 26, 2006.

1. tolstoy

tolstoy Member

So, I've been revamping my rig and the first new piece was the Blue Boy Deluxe and all I have to say is WOWWWW! The thing is so organic, clear, warm, and just plain right. Plus all the controls work perfectly to help meld the tone into exactly what I want out of it.

So, here's my question. I could probably just carry the Blue Boy around and be cool, but I like to have some options. I was originally getting the Blue Boy for light gain duty, but even with the gain wound all the way up...it's perfect for most rock rythum duty minus metal which I don't play. So here's what I'm looking for and I have a couple of ideas in mind.

As versitile as the Blue Boy seems to be, I'd like another higher gain option for screaming solo work and the harder moments (though I don't get much harder then the Blue Boy can give, it's nice to smile and rock out every once and a while). I was originally looking for three basic sounds:

1st...Clean sustaining tone like on Pink Floyd's "Coming Back To Life" entro.
    I was going to try to achive this with a good compressor. Any suggestions? Was planning on a Mote Allums modded CS3, but am open to any other suggestions.

2nd...Low to med drive for Blues and classic rock tunes, mabee kick in the compressor for a bit of a sustain and volume boost durring solo passages. This is where the Blue Boy comes in.

3rd...Higher gain drive for harder rock and screaming solos. Been considering the Crunch Box, Direct Drive, and Small Fry. Any other reccomendations? This is were it gets a little fuzzy, cause the Blue Boy Comp might get me most of what I need, but I would still like the option of getting a nice melting amp sound as well. I could get away with just the Blue Boy and a higher gain pedal, build a a/b box to switch between the two using the Blue Boy for rock/rythum and the gainier pedal for solos....but then I'd be missing the clean, sustaining tone I hear in my head.

So, what do you all think. What would you do? Any other recommendations? Amp is a '67 Bassman Head into Marshall 4x10". Guitars are a Strat with low output pickups and a Tele with low output Humbuckers.

Tolstoy

2. Thazy

Thazy Member

Have you considered adding a booster of some type? I find that if I have a basic overdrive sound that I like and want just a little more over the top, my Fatboost or my Sex Drive work very well for that. Of course, A Timmy would push the BBD very nicely too.

3. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I would recommend the BJF DRD. It does the high gain thing very well and is very touch sensitive and dynamic. I love mine with my strats and tele. It goes from blues rock, classic rock to 80's Marshall.

4. tolstoy

tolstoy Member

I do have a Luxury Drive, and it did exactly what they said....but it still wasn't quite the sound I was looking for. I'd really like to try to fit a compressor in the picture one way or another. I love David Gilmour (though I never really play much Gilmouresqe tunes...I do try to follow his tone in philsophy anyway....my dream would be to get some like minded musicians together and do a couple night stand as a Pink Floyd Tribute...but I digress.....)

Right now I'm also waiting for a Carl Martin Red Repeat to arrive. I sold off a Digiverb to go with a decent Delay Unit. Very excited about that to arrive after being so blown away with the BBD.

Tolstoy

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I got the MI Audio Tube Zone (newest version) to go with the Blue Boy Deluxe, pretty much covers everything!

6. tolstoy

tolstoy Member

I was also checking out the Tube Zone, but I always thought it was voiced more toward the Mesa side of things. Also.....a little worried about all the control. I've heard that it can be hard to dial in and if anyones going to set it up to sound bad by messing with it too much, it'd be me. Though it does sound very cool and very versitile.T

Tolstoy

7. RickB

RickB Member

Character knob to the left gets it out of the Boogie territory with no problem.

8. erksin

erksin Member

Great box, isn't it?

I use a CoT50 Red to push the BB - sounds incredible, IMO...

And I also concur with the Timmy suggestion, though I use the BB to push the Timmy - between the CoT50, the BB, and the Timmy I have all of my gain based covered. The CoT set very low sounds killer for 'just breaking up' tones and really gives the BB an authentic Marshally voicing. All three pedals play amazingly well together and they way I have them set, I get pretty seamless gain changes.

9. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

Well, you could get a good compressor (Barber Tone Press, or maybe anAnalogman Mini Bi-Comp to give you some options)

As for the harder stuff, maybe an Xotic BB Preamp or a Direct Drive. I use them both for the same purpose on different boards. The DD can get more gain and options to tone character (get the mod board).

The BB gives the option of clarity when playing chords with distortion, plus, it can be driven nicely with something like the BBD which would give you another gain stage option.

Come to think of it, the Blues Boy Deluxe, BB Preamp, Direct Drive combination is a nice setup in itself. I haven't run that one, but I might pull those pedals from the 2 boards and see what I come up with. . .

Brett

10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

tolstoy, please check PM

11. Wooley

Wooley Member

I think the OCD or the Blackstone Distortion would probably fit the bill. I would say Shannon Distortion also, but they don't make em anymore. If you can find one, it's an awesome higher-gain-but-non-metal distortion.