Just got my Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ToneRanger, Jan 18, 2006.

1. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I picked up my Super Chili Picoso from the post office yesterday and headed straight for band practise. I hadnt much time to test drive the unit on it's own so it was straight to "real life test" with the band.

First of all, the pedal looks great, it's such a looker with the color, paint job and the big single knob... It's funny how Catalinbread pedals have all the pictures/logos done with decals though.

Ok, now for the sounds. It sounds great. Unity gain is when the knob is at 8 oclock. It just adds some magic dust to the sound. It has a really pleasant eq that's really flattering, but not processed or fake sounding in any way. I have to try the pedal in direct recording to my computer, might sound great..

The pedal has some serious boost available. It can really make the front end of the amp scream, really push the amp further. Sounds absolutely fabulous! I could just use it as a drive unit, it's so flexible. I used it as a solo boost most of the time (that's what I bought it for) and it worked great. I also used it at lower settings, just providing some extra magic with my Deluxe Memory Man.. I love this pedal. Didn't try the buffer yet. I really began to think of buying another one and keeping that one on all the time.

The pedal worked great with all my other pedals, the Hot Cakes, SCOD and COT 50. It really helped them all out!

Thanks for all of you who have recommended this pedal!

2. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Hey ToneRanger did you ever post a pic of your board? It's getting mighty impressive!

3. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Not yet Realfi, not yet, it's not finished. Still waiting for Timmy and Eternity, then it should be finished. And then I have to get some more George L cables to be done with all the wiring and stuff. I'll sure post a pic when it's done.. I'm planning to replace the other Hot Cake with the Timmy. I'm using the two Cakes so that the other provides a lighter overdrive and the other one a more distorted sound. The Timmy would replace the Cake I use for overdrive. Nothing wrong with the Cake, I'd just like to have as many different flavours as possible. I'm thinking of getting the Double Hot Cake so I'd still have "dual Hot Cake capacity" on my board :) One reason for getting one cake out of my board would also be that I'd love to have one around that could be used for direct recordings I sometimes do with my computer. Hot Cake is pretty good for that.

4. drolling

drolling Member

So this one's a totally clean boost? No added grit whatsoever? And only one knob?

I'm liking the sound of this, TR. What, if anything, could you compare it to? A ZVex SHO, perhaps?

BTW, Timmy & Eternity are two of the best pedals on the planet. So good I just HAD to upgrade my delay (from the DMM;)BTW) and my compressor as well. You may not quite be finished w/that board..

5. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

To a Memory Lane, correct? Mine should be here today. I'll punch an innocent bystander if it doesn't.

6. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Should be a clean boost, available boost +35db:s. I really cant comment on the grit, I got some grit as I turned the knob clockwise, but I think it was because it was pushing my amp.. One knob, and a big one, so you can turn with your foot while playing pretty easily!

I can't really compare it to anything, 'cause this is the first real clean boost I've got.. But it works really well, and it's got great quality. Didnt break the bank either, 139 €:s delivered!!

Yep, really looking forward to getting the Timmy & Eternity.. Upgrading the DMM might be on the cards for me, we'll see, but after Timmy & Eternity I'll have to do some serious fund raising before I can purchase anything :)

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Hey TR, didn't I tell you you'd be floored by this lil unit? I've been recommending it since July whenever someone asks for a "boost" pedal or "soemthing to fatten up my tone".

Glad you've joined the club :BEER

8. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Congrats and thanks for the support!

9. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Yep Moe, you were totally right! I'm really glad I bought the pedal and can't wait to play more with it! It really has this nice fat thing going on. What an eq curve, totally flattering! Somehow it feels like an enhance that gives "more of everything". I normally don't like the thinking of enhancers since they always seem to make the sound better at first but then you grow tired of it. The SCP is not like that at all, it's really natural and well, tube-like! And it doesnt sound processed (which I hate) at all.. I love it, love it love it.

Hey Catalinbread, what about a dual SCP where I could keep one side on all the time and then active the other when I need it..

I've begun to fantasize about a "super boost" which would do this, but then it would be nice to have an "unboost" function as well.. I've noticed many times that I'd need an unboost.. Could be really cool for parts when I need for example heavy distortion, maybe even feedback and endless sustain, but just to stay in the background, for creating landscapes and not take over the entire sound of the band.. And I don't want to use a volume pedal, even though it could be quite handy.. I'm just not good with rocking pedals..

10. shblay

shblay Member

I've been thinking of getting one ever since I picked up an SCOD and Semaphore a few months back. I'm already using a clean boost that I'm borrowing from a friend (a nice Addrock Boostmaster) but am still tempted to get a SCP. I just really like Catalinbread's stuff and wouldn't mind adding another one of his pedals to my board.

11. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Yep, so do I! I have a SCOD and it looks and sounds good. I just wish the finnish was better. The paint seem to wear off really easy and the decals look like their going to be destroyed after 500 gig-stomps.

Anyway, a big thumbs up to Catalinbread! Keep on making quality tones at a reasonable price. Dig!:AOK

12. b_rad

b_rad Member

All of Nic's pedals are now professionally powdercoated, so the paint shouldn't be an issue anymore.

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

I have an earlier SCP with a tolex covering. Good stuff :)

I'd like to see an SCP/RC Booster shootout one day. The RC Booster is very popular, but I can't see how it can be better than the SCP, except for the fact that it's more tweakable. Though again, I can't see why anyone would want to tweak the EQ on their SCP

14. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

If you think that's FAT, you should try the Sogrado Poblano Picoso, that thing is like adding a 500 lb man to your rig, WAY FAT and BEEFY.

15. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

It would be nice to check out the RC booster as well yeah..

But really, the one knob on the SCP is all I need! I think if someone gets it right, you don't need a bunch of knobs atleas in a booster.

The COT 50 is one of my favourites with it's one knob and now the SCP made a really good impression and I think someone would have hard time trying to get it off my board! :)

16. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Ever try one of the original bluesbreaker pedals? ;)

I am gonna get a poblano bost in the mail soon to a/b against my KLON. :) Is the super chile picoso like the super hard on?

17. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

The Super Chili Picoso has a little less emphasis on the top end sheen than the Super Hard On, the SHO has more clean headroom than the SCP, but at lower to about medium boost settings, both remain clean. Have one of each on different pedalboards doing the same job, like 'em both. SCP - less expensive than the SHO.

Brett

18. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I love my SCP. All I need is a clean boost to push my amp a bit harder for solos.

19. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I have my SCP last in my chain with a COT 50 Dreamtone 808 Clone,and a Boss EQ,and I leave the SCP on all the time,it works great with all the pedals,and It is set about 9pm on the knob.
    I dont care too much for the full on boost from it just not needed with the other pedals.
    I have tried it into my BF pro as a phase unit to be able to chain Normal and Vibrato channels together and it works good,as stated in the instructions.
    I use SCP with my Germinio 55 and it gives such a perfect crisp tone with no harsh top end.
    As comparing to RC the SCP sounds close,but RC has more sweeter gain when turned up,and Also RC is more tweakable.
    They both are good units,I have kept these two,and sold my Klon.:RoCkIn