Just got my D*A*M 1966, says it's a custom/limited edition. (pics)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gururyan, Sep 29, 2006.

1. gururyan

gururyan Member

[​IMG]

So I got my 1966 finally after a long, long hunt...physically and financially. I pop it open and it says it's a custom/limited edition. I would love to know what makes this one any different from the rest. I am guessing it's the transistors as he also wrote two numbers, "SFT337" and "OC76". The serial number on mine is #66. I'll post a gut shot momentarily.

It sounds exactly like I was hoping, on my Sorrento (hollowbody/P90)...but again I am having difficulty getting my Strat to cooperate to the degree I want with dirt/gain/od pedals. I had this same problem with the Banzai Cold Fusion, the Sorrento is a match made in heaven...the Strat drags it's feet.

Anyway, back to the D*A*M and getting more pics up.

EDIT:
    From what I can gather from the site, the original, early Vox Tone Benders used the SFT337...like mine here. The "normal" D*A*M 1966 uses an AC128 in the first stage. So, sounds like mine is an actual replica vs. a very close replica. Does this sound right to you?

EDIT II:
    It just dawned on me that mine is #66, and it's a "1966"...maybe that's why he made it a true Vox Tone Bender?

2. gururyan

gururyan Member

3. Matt F

Matt F Member

I love how excited you are about this pedal :) It's like Christmas for you and I'm happy for ya.. Maybe you are correct in the #66 pedal being special. Very cool.. Nice build quality.

Rock out with pride :AOK

4. basscracker

basscracker Guest

right there.

5. gururyan

gururyan Member

6. gururyan

gururyan Member

Question, how would I get the 1966 to run off my power supply? It uses one of those drawer type battery holders so a 9v snap wouldn't work...I don't think. Maybe I could glue the snap as if it were the battery and then cut a slot in the drawer for the wire to pass through. I would prefer this so that I could A) not use a battery B) not have to unplug the pedal every time C) utilize the adjustable voltage output on the Flatliner.

7. rewog

rewog Member

Ryan - pedals like this sound best on batteries. Go read some of the stuff about Fuzz Faces on Analogman's site. That's why they aren't set up with a DC plug or an LED.
    Sweet looking pedal BTW - it looks Special !!
    The best idea is to fit a battery switch - Analogman incorporates it into the Fuzz control.

8. gururyan

gururyan Member

I've always heard that too. I was playing with my Flatliner's adjustable outputs, you can adjust the resistance AND the voltage from 3v to 9v and 3v to 12v. When I did this on on the ToneFactor Huckleberry and MAD Effects DD30, they both sounded noticeably better down around 6-7v. The MJM London Fuzz, strangely enough, didn't show any tonal differences except a direct relation between output and voltage. Despite the constant suggestion for batteries, I have an optimistic attitude towards the power supply approach if I utilize my adjustable outputs. I gotta give it shot.

9. rewog

rewog Member

Yep. It's not just a voltage either i don't think. Something about the battery being a part of the circuit in a pedal like this, and carbon batteries sounding best.

10. rewog

rewog Member

Here's a little bit from Analogman's site - hope it's OK to post it here in the interest of informing ppl:-

"the best sound is obtained by using an old style non-alkaline battery. I get these two for a dollar at the DOLLAR STORES. I like the Maxell or Panasonics. An Alkaline battery will sound a bit dull in a germanium fuzzface, it will lose a lot of character (you can hear the difference in a sound sample above). It's not just the voltage that makes batteries and power supplies sound different. It's the resistance, inductance, and capacitance in the battery, which is part of the circuit in a fuzzface. "

11. gururyan

gururyan Member

Here is a clip of Analogman's site:

First is a Duracell (twice), then a cheapie (twice), then back to the Duracell.

Super short sound clip here.

Yeah, I totally hear the difference just between batteries. I still won't be convinced until I try it myself with the resistance/voltage adjustments on the Flatliner though. I mean, that's one of the reasons I bought the Flatliner to begin with, and so far it hasn't let me down. I have to touch the stove myself!
    ;)

12. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Killer interior - built on perf; beautiful.

13. basscracker

basscracker Guest

mount the pedal so you can just pull the battery dawer when your done.if you need to use the flatliner,make up a dummy battery and mout the snap to that.or if you can solder,the red and black will go right on a 2.1mm.don't make any new holes in the enclosure,you can always get a new one of these.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. mezcalhead

mezcalhead Member

Ryan, that's a very cool pedal. Making the 66th 1966 an exact replica is just the sort of thing Mr. Main would do. From my experience of his work so far he has an incredible eye for detail, and quite a dry sense of humour .. there's always something interesting written inside the backplate.

I've got a few of his pedals but not the 1966 .. I'd like to get hold of either that or the Mk II as I've never had a tonebender based fuzz.

15. longgonedaddy

longgonedaddy Supporting Member

looks great.

I know you're going to have a lot of fun/frustration getting just the right sound from that box.

I'll bet ya a Tele would sound a lot better through it than that Strat:moon

16. gururyan

gururyan Member

Well, the Sorrento (hollow/p90) loves it way more than the Strat does.