Just got my first Landgraff DO

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by exodus, Sep 30, 2005.

1. exodus

exodus Member

I just got done goofing around with a Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive... my first whack at this pedal. Man, this thing really is one sweet little box. It nails so many tones... and where I might stack two dirt boxes... this one seems to do it by itself. I'm also surprised how well this thing cleans up for an op-amp based circuit. It's not like a fuzz clean up, but also doesn't turn to mud either.

Big thumbs up. Anyone have any "sweet spot" setting they like?

2. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

i have yet to try a landy....the price has always scared me off....the most expensive boost/OD ive ever bought was a klon, and i felt a bit weird paying the $$ for that....oh well, maybe ill grab a soon enough...

hope you enjoy it!

3. webb

webb Member

The Landgraff does have some great tones in it.
    Some personal faves:
    For a bridge humbucker, switch in the up position, gain at 11 o'clock, tone at 3 o'clock, volume to taste.
    For strat bridge pickup, switch in the middle position, gain at 3 o'clock, tone at 3 o'clock, volume to taste but watch out the middle setting is loud.
    Cheers
    Webb

4. drolling

drolling Member

Does this pedal work best with a loud amp (a la Klon) or can you dial in high gain tone at low volume? Where are some good clips of the Landgraff in action?

Who carries his product? Googling just leads me to HC reviews.

Thanks,
    dave

5. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Gitpicker,

Thanks for the link, I just ordered one. Money back guarantee and $389.99 including shipping. Can't go wrong! :dude

7. exodus

exodus Member

The one thing that I noticed is that while the circuit board is fairly small, almost every component is socketed, not soldered. Resistors, transistors, caps... the whole 'lot of them. I think I might get the "tone kit" as it seems you could practically rebuilt this pedal from the ground up to suit whatever style.

8. telebuck

telebuck Supporting Member

I also received an LDO overdrive recently. I can definately see why people rave about them. Its very versatile. Many sweet spots around the gain dial. Set at about 2:00 on gain, 10:00 on volume, tone at noon.... my les paul into a clean aiken invader sounds like a cranked marshall (the aiken doesnt hurt either). But its the best overdrive I've ever heard from it. Or turn gain down to 9:00 and volume to 2:00 and its a great low overdrive as well. It likes single coils, but I like it best with humbuckers.

9. GAT

How is it with an already distorted amp, just to push it a bit?

10. GuitarG

GuitarG Member

Works great. I'll use the switch up, gain @ 8-9:00, tone @ 2:00 and Volume @ 12:00. This setting gives a nice, fat boost to an amp that is already breaking up.

11. exodus

exodus Member

As much fun as I am having with the Landy, I'm curious if anyone has A/B'ed it with the Eternity?

12. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

Compared the Landgraff to the Eternity.

Thought the Landgraff was warmer and richer sounding. Thought the Landgraff controls were easier to use.

13. jpagey

jpagey Member

I compared the 2. I sold the Landy and kept the Eternity.

14. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

ditto jp

the E 'sang' better... the Landy was a bit jumpy and overbearing in my rig....

the closest is the PedalworX Tour Pro

I even preffered but the Cusack Screamer, it had similar dynamics but a more useful tone control.....

they all have thier uses.....:D

15. GAT

DonneR,
    How does a Landgraff compare to a Clay Jones?

BTW, the Mo Faux you painted looks good on my board! :cool:

16. Don Rusk

AWWW! Im jealous, I dont even have my swampburst yet !!! :D ~~~ glad you dig it tho !

the Landy and the CJOD are about the same - except for the dynamics, EQ and distortion complexity :D

lets see, well the Landy as you turn up the drive knob takes on more of a distortion pedal sound , adding a grind to the TS sound.............the CJOD stays smoother...

the Landy gets jumpy a bit in the dynamics... the CJOD has a better balanced attack ....

the CJOD seems a more refined singing drive..... but t he Landy has more 'horse power' and is happier in a barfight than a Tango ;)

17. GAT

The weird thing is, I actually understand what you just said. :D

18. Don Rusk

excellent --- glad to see the old Vulcan mind meld is still working :cool: