Just got my george dennis volume pedal...don't know what to think.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Jan 28, 2008.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Well, I bought this so that I could do swells into my ar20dlxl and replica.

First off, I didn't realize that because it is optical, there is no way to turn the pedal on or off. Second, I am not sure how to find unity gain, i.e. find volume level that my tone would be at without the pedal on. It seems to cut the midrange out just a hair, but I don't mind. Overall though, I will have to mess with it some more, because I only bought it to do swells, and I am not sure it does that function well enough to keep it.

2. Thor

Thor Member

:munch

While waiting for more reviews, I was wondering are all of the optical volume pedals also "always on"?

Cheers,

Edward

3. cochese

cochese Member

Most volume pedals that I've used are just a pot hooked up to a pedal and inserted between the guitar and amp. The GD got a Guitar Players Editors Pick award a few years ago in their volume pedal shootout for not being a tone-suck like most passive pedals like the Ernie Ball or Boss pedals. Unity gain is the pedal full on there is no volume boost. The only reason I could think of wanting an on-off switch would be to preset a reduced volume level. I believe some pedals like the Boss have such an adjustment.

As for it cutting the midrange I have tried the same pedal and I didn't hear it nor did the reviewers for Guitar Player. Are you using it an effects loop. Most pedals are designed to receive a guitars high imp signal although EB and Morley do make low imp models. How are you using it?

4. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

That's good to know that full on doesn't add a boost, I was about to go through the trouble of recording clips to see whether or not that was the case.

Maybe the midrange cut had to do with the monster cable that I used; I have run out of george l cable's at this point. $6 for a single end is ridiculous though, the stores around here gauge that biz :FM

I'm running my board like this:

Guitar-> Tone Press -> Barber Barbeq -> Vht Valvulator
    -> AR20DLXL ->George Dennis Stereo VP -> Replica -> Keeley TR2

5. hamfist

hamfist Member

I'm very happy with my GD vol pedal. It doesn't seem to tone-suck or tone-alter at all with my rig (or in fact with any of the several amps I've used it with).
    Also just to confirm, as Cochese has stated - pedal full on is unity volume.

6. cochese

cochese Member

You might try running your guitar into the volume pedal first or at least after the Tone Press and before the Valvulator as the response ifs often changed when a low imp signal is present.

7. Padsy9

Padsy9 Member

Been using a GD vol pedal for about a year and am very happy with it. There is a really slight tone alteration to my ear- I mean barely audible just listening to my amp alone and completely negligible in a band setting. I run it at the very end of my chain, right into the front of my amp. I run a Launch Pad right before it.

8. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

Good suggestion on the change in line position. I didn't really know where to put it, I don't really know where to put anything with this valvulator.

9. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

I've got my GD "The Tube" right after my distortion/ODs and before any modulation/time effects. The Tube is a combination Volume/OD pedal, and I emailed GD about a trimmer inside. On this particular pedal it is for unity gain adjustment. I get no tone suck and unity is pedal full on. The OD is pretty good too, I use mine for mostly low gain stuff. I was looking for a volume pedal and I got this for a good price and the OD was a bonus!
    If you have any questions email George. He's great and will answer quickly, just remember the time difference to Czechoslovakia.

10. RomanS

RomanS Member

Another satisified user here - actually, I've got the GD125 PingPong Tremolo, that's a tremolo and volume pedal combined:
    In vol. ped. mode it works perfectly, just as good as my Morley vol. pedal, but with a much smaller size, and the pivot point is placed better for vol. swells, too, than on the Morley (which sometimes feels like the gas pedal on a car).
    When I switch it to tremolo mode, I can regulate the depth of the tremolo with the vol. pedal, from no trem to full-on - quite useful sometimes; I have to admit, though, switched to tremolo mode, I can hear a faint pulsating noise (at the tempothe trem is set at) through my amp all the time 8it's not there in vol. ped. mode, thankfully!)

11. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Any updates on the GD-20?