Just got my Hamer Monaco III. Wow!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mike M, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Mike M

Mike M Member

I just got my Monaco II in the mail today. All I can say is that I have really been missing out on some great guitars. I had a chance to meet Jol Dantzig recently and hear the Hamer story. I was very interested in hearing that they are only 10 guys in the shop making these by hand. Much more of a custom built guitar than I ever thought. Every detail is perfect in every way. the nut, frets, binding, finish, components ect. It would be almost impossible to out perform the work of these guitars. If anyone has not had a chance to check them out, I highly recommend that you do.

:AOK

2. Srini

Srini Guest

3. joek86

joek86 Supporting Member

Blue Balls.....................Pic's please..................

Joe

4. Rama

Rama Member

You so right, brother. I LOVE my Monaco III!

5. gitman

gitman Member

i smell a trend .... just recieved MY Monaco yesterday ! it's the version with the 2 HB's and the Bigbsy. i concur 100% in that these are immaculately built and designed guitars, the attention to detail and the finish is on par with the best out there. what i don't quite grasp is the choice of pickups. in my model they put Rio Grande Texas something pu's in - only with very much gain dialed in do these units produce a decent tone. played clean it sounds like there is a blanket over the guitar and the speaker. i swapped the neck pickup with a TV-Jones TV-Classic and BINGO the sun came up ! WHAT a difference in tone, dynamics, color, clarity - now this guitar delivers what it promises when played unplugged !!! i just bought a matching bridge pu from TV Jones and then this fiddle will be just perfect for me ! i can't believe the superb quality you get at such low ( used ) prices.... when i compare this to my PRS HB-II
    ( qua build quality and basic tone quality ) : same level at half the price. and that coming from a guitar that was basically built by hand in a custom shop. makes me wonder .... will post pics later on. Hamer guitars RULE !

6. gitman

gitman Member

impossible to get the color right with my cheap little digicam - this shade of red on the spruce top is simply charming ! under stage lights that guitar will be on fire !!:Devil
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

7. jman

jman Member

OK so the Monaco is similar to my Newport except for the single cutaway and humbuckers? Nice pics,btw...really would like to check out that III.

8. Brion

Brion Supporting Member

The Monaco has a 25.5" scale length whereas the Newport is 24.6 or something like that. I have a Newport that I enjoy bunches, but I think I'd like the Monaco even more as I've grown to love the longer scale length.

9. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

The Monaco 3 is my favorite new guitar, maybe my favorite period!

Gitman, those Rios are NOT stock in any Hamer. I agree with the assesment, never found any Rios that sounded good overall.

From what I can tell, you would be able to custom order just about anything from Hamer though.

Hand made in the USA baby!

10. Karmateria

Karmateria Member

Monaco.... goooooooooood.
    [​IMG]

11. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

12. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Those Hamers are giving me a special feeling. I guess I'll have to go be content with feeling my Special. :D

13. onemind

onemind Member

Still Diggin' my SuperPro [​IMG]

14. BIGGERSTAFF

BIGGERSTAFF Member

All of those are some purty guitars!:RoCkIn

15. lucian

lucian Guest

Have to agree. My mouth is watering!

16. Srini

Srini Guest

Beautiful! How does the spruce top sound?

Srini

17. gregc

gregc Member

Great guitar; Steve, that';s a great pic! BTW, check yer mail. I owe you sum'tin & lost your snail mail addy.
    Greg C.

18. KLB

KLB Member

Karmateria,
    Is that a Monaco Superpro, in Koa?
    Tell us about the pickups and switching.

60hzShuffle,
    Did you just get that one from Wilcutt (the NAMM MIII)?
    Were you at the Jol Dantzig presentation at Boutique Guitar Exchange Wed. the 8th?

I was smitten by the MIII they had at BGE and am looking into getting one. I want to be able to have both neck and bridge pickups going at the same time.

Cheers,
    Ken

19. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

KLB - my guitar was from NAMM 2005, they did the same specs for the NAMM 2006 guitar and I think Willcutt's is selling that one as well. I love that guitar!!:AOK

20. gitman

gitman Member

the spruce top has a quick response and the note decay is comparable to a ES 335 type guitar. it is a livelier sounding guitar though and does not have quite the girth/midrange of a good 335. since i have fitted my Monaco with TV-Joes pu's it's also got a nice sizzly top end snarl that i just LOVE ! that is the basic tonal palette - it's up to you and your fingers to mix the colors and bring them on the canvas !
    i will check into signing up with a sound-clip hosting site and when that is taken care i will post some clips there. what are the good ones out there, any
    pointers ?