Just got my Hoof!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cbpickin, Jul 4, 2008.

1. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I ordered a Hoof from Earthquaker Devices a little over two weeks ago and rec'd it yesterday. I really like the flavor of this fuzz. I was looking for something to replace my Mayo that I sold just as the prices went nuts and I couldn't repurchase one once I missed it.
    I have tried several Big Muff flavors since and haven't found what I was looking for until now. The Hoof has just enough fullness and gain for me but is tight enough to palm mute, something the Mayo wasn't great for. The Mayo has some more gain and is a little smoother, but the Hoof is exactly what I have been looking for. Great sustain and fullness yet still with good articulation. Super Muff fuzz!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  2. jb1911

jb1911 Member

What about noise? Is it as noisy as the Mayo at higher gain settings?

3. cbpickin

No, noise is much lower than the Mayo. In fact, it is really quiet, even with a strat. This is my favorite Muff style fuzz I've had and it's true bypass, 9v adapter, etc.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  4. plagtr2

plagtr2 Silver Supporting Member

+1 on Hoof Love! Great fuzz that can get along with many guitars.

5. shibby

shibby Member

does it cut through well in a band mix? or get buried?

6. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Gets buried. NOt quite as bad as a Mayo with the mids switch off, but more than an old Green Russian muff.

7. iggs

iggs Member

Really? Mine cuts through loud and clear ... different guitars, amps, setups ... etc. I guess ... :dunno

I had that experience with my Pink Flesh, just could not get it loud enough.

I LOVE my Hoof though ... I love the character of it the most, it's just: :Devil.

8. cbpickin

Mine doesn't get buried either. Of course I'm using it in a trio setting, so not much to get buried under. Still, it seems like it should cut through pretty well, better than the Mayo I had.

9. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

10. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Different setups and needs likely. At the time my band was still three guitars, bass, drums, so I was fighting quite a bit to be heard when I used a Muff. I went through a few over this time. I could get the Hoof heard if I dimed it, my non mids-switch mayo couldn't be heard even cranked, and the Green Russian Muff sat perfectly and was no challenge to get it heard.

Keep in mind that my band is doing a lot of Sonic Youth/Mono type soundscapes, so my needs might be different and my band is definitely filling up more of the available air than most.

11. iggs

iggs Member

Dude, let me know when & where you guys are playing, I'll come out fo' sho'!

12. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

If I can just get two of the guys over their stage fright we will be out there soon.

This band is the opposite of every other band I've been in. In every other band we worked our asses off and could never get any opportunities. In this one, we just started getting drunk every week, having fun, recording the proceeds and we keep getting great gig opportunities without even asking.

It's been a year of regular work with these guys, so we better be out there soon, and as soon as we are, I'll be hitting up all of the Southern Ontario TGPers that seem interested with the details. Besides, you'll get to see your old Bumbox again :BEER

For anyone interested, we're called The Fire Code.