1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Just got my new Musikraft '66 Strat Neck

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by exodus, Feb 10, 2006.

1. exodus

exodus Member

I figured I'd post pics for anyone who is interested in Musikraft necks or bodies. I just got this today for a '66 strat project I am s l ow l y working on. As far as I know, they are the only aftermarket company to offer a veneer rosewood board... here are the specs:
    • quartersawn maple (to put up with chicago weather)
    • small C shape (I have small hands)
    • brazilian rosewood (this stuff is dark)
    • 9.5" radius
    • veneer / round laminate fretboard
    • pearloid dots (ala '66)
    • large CBS headstock
    • vintage truss at the heel
    • medium jumbo stainless steel frets (21)
    • gloss finish, no tint (it's going to be an NOS '66).
    Here she is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(sorry for the crappy pics...)

2. sixstringslut

sixstringslut Member

B e a utifule. That is a stout piece of maple. Probably need very little truss tension. Let me know how the fret dress is. I've been thinking about stainless myself but was worried. If they are not right they are wrong...you know?

3. exodus

exodus Member

thanks man-- I was looking at warmoth and usacg, but musikraft was the only one that could make me a veneer board neck. All in all, for the upgrades (quartersawn maple, brazilian rosewood, veneer construction, ss frets and nitro finish) it all came out to about $375 which in my book is a hell of a deal. The quality looks real nice and the maple has a sort of 3-d look.

I'm going to have an expert install the nut, tuners and bolt it on and dress the frets... but everything else seems good. This is my first go at stainless frets, but most people around here seem to like them. We'll see if they are really better than vintage.

I'd give a thumbs up to musikraft for anyone else interested. Very nice folk too....

4. BDUNN

BDUNN Supporting Member

I have one on order from Musikraft for a 62' strat project I am working on. Medium C shape, clay fret dots, medium jumbo frets,....... I cant wait. I looked at Warmoth too but the real clay dots sold me. I am going to attempt to finish it myself...... we will see how that goes.

5. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

Cool!!! Very nice neck and nice price! But Fender didn't use BRW anymore in '66... :) :D

6. guitarlovero5

guitarlovero5 Member

They didn't offer Stainless steel frets either, It looks like a great neck by the way!

7. 83stratman

83stratman Member

Maybe the angle of the pic isn't good, but isn't that a bit thick for it to be a lam board? Not to mention it is flat, not curved...

8. exodus

exodus Member

It's the angle... the board is curved and no thicker than the round lam neck on my '69 CS strat. It appears a bit less curved because it is: its a 9.5 rad, not a 7.25. You may also be used to looking at vintage round lam board which are worn paper thin.

9. exodus

exodus Member

Yea... the stainless steel frets and brazilian board... as well as the 9.5" radius are the only "upgrades." Everything else is vintage. The only tweaks I think a strat needs...

10. dumb donnie

dumb donnie Member

How quickly/slowly did they get it to you?

11. exodus

exodus Member

I ordered it on 12/19/05 and it was shipped 2/8/06. The shop was closed for about a week (or 10 days) during Christmas and I think for New Years.Oh, and I had them finish it in a clear gloss. Overall they are pretty quick.

12. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Member

And I just won this off him on evilbay for $192. I will try to do him right on this, I emailed him and told him I appreciated the good deal, ( I bid way higher than what I won it for) also said I would only pair it with a Sherwood Green or Burgandy Mist vintage body, (but after reading these posts and discovering he originally intended it to be with an Oly White body, that will work too!) and post pics on TGP when I was done. He responded graciously!
    I can't wait!

13. exodus

exodus Member

thanks man. the neck should make you happy, its the ultimate in custom vintage: a '66 at 9.5"