Just got my RC Booster

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jzucker, Sep 8, 2005.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

What an amazing pedal. It's so much more of a booster. Goes from subtle boost to overdrive and so transparent I found myself using it for clean jazz stuff. It just makes the amp sound better. Some boosters have a very peaky effect which results in a mid or treble boost which causes your ears to ache after playing for a 1/2 hour but this thing is the most transparent and natural boost I've ever heard.

A friend of mine and I tried it next to the K*** booster and both agreed that this was much better and much more versatile.

Sounds great with a strat, mini humbuckers and full sized humbuckers too.

For folks who have tried the AC booster - How does it differ from the RC ? Is it useful to have both?

2. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

I owned an AC and have only tried an RC a couple of times. I found that the AC was much less transparent than the RC and had an inherent coloration that could not be dialed out. I liked the coloration of the AC for some things, like more "modern" sounding OD tones or even for thick, heavy OD chores. I would still like to own an RC one day for clean boost & light OD, but I have played ODs that I find more useful and versatile than the AC for mid to high gain. Hope that helps.

3. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I've had two RC's and now donnot own any.. Because I bought a Klon, and the Klon is head and shoulders above the RC in my opinion for clean boost.. I still would buy another RC though, because I think it is a good pedal...

4. jzucker

Wow. I had the exact opposite experience with the klon.

5. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

How does the RC compare to the Timmy?

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

Glad you like it Jack, pretty much mirrors my opinion of it.
    I use it all the time as a subtle boost or clean eq pedal.

Never tried the AC but I understand it is much more of an O/D pedal, like Tube Screamer typ gain.

I had a Tim for a while, the Tim can do clean boost pretty well but I preferred the RC, it was more transparent to me. The Tim does way more gain than the RC is capable of, and sounded best to me as a mid gain pedal.
    The RC is more total clean to a tiny, tiny amount of grit.

For clean boost I preferred the RC's active eq.

They are very different pedals imo, but then I don't really use the RC as a "boost" at all, more as a mini amp front panel

7. Frankenstrat2

Frankenstrat2 Member

Hey Jack
    Can't comment on the RC, but I had an AC boost for quite a while, and liked it for certain applications. I consider it an overdrive pedal. It has kind of a compressed, smooth tonal signature by nature. You can dial up a bit more bite with the treble knob, and plenty of bottom with the bass knob. I mostly used it for slide for those Warren Haynes singing type overdrive qualities. Its no a high gain pedal but it has plenty of volume for clean boost, but I wouldn't have chosen it for that application.
    IME the TIM can cover much of the same ground when dialed in that way, but is far more transparent, but I can't think of many other ODs that are as transparent as a TIM.
    I've owned a Klon since wayback and would never sell it, but its an entirely different beast, does not have true bypass, and does color your tone both when its on, and off.
    You should have jumped on the AC I just sold, Jack. If you didn't like it, you could have flipped it immediately, it was stupid cheap.
    barry

8. JimmyD

JimmyD Member

Jack, I gig with both the AC and RC. Grab the AC its a nice low to mid gain OD box.

The only think I dislike about Xotics pedals are the LED's which can't be seen in a dark club so for get about seeing them at an outdoor gig. Switch feels flimsy but hasn't failed me yet.

Very nice pedals. The RC is indeed special.

Jim

9. Calloway

Calloway Supporting Member

Switch feels flimsy but hasn't failed me yet.

A friend of mine who does repairs at a music shop was telling me that for a while their people were bringing in a couple of em a week just to replace the switch because they crapped out.

10. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

What bugs me about the switch is the size. I much prefer those big switches like Fulltone...
    But the led, yeah, that could be better. You have to look directly down to the pedal to see if it's on.

11. jzucker

Not sure what you're talking about. I have my RC Booster sitting next to my fulldrive and the switch is nearly the same size.

Does size matter when it comes to switches?

I think we can all suffer from OCD on occasion...:D

12. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Member

If anyone wonders what the RC sounds like and can't find one to try, if you have access to a Full Drive 2, set the FD2 to Comp Cut mode, volume at noon, tone at about 2:30, gain to 12:30, and have the Boost off.

That's really close to what the RC does with the EQ flat and the gain at noon or slightly below.

I have both, and until I tried the RC I was about to buy a second FD2 just so I could get that sound and still have the bigger ODs the FD2 can do. The RC was a little less money and a lot smaller in size, so it got the nod for my rack.

I like the RC very much.

Now, it can do cleaner and dirtier than the above FD2 settings, and it has a nice musical EQ section as well - it's not a one trick pony. But that's the sound I use it for most of the time.

13. trisonic

trisonic Member

Thanks Lyle, I'll check those settings out to see if I like the RC!
    Which one was Dean Parks using on that promo video for Xotic????

Best, Pete.

14. tjh

tjh Member

Try the Force by J. T. Products. Great pedal.

15. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

Well, I think the new ones are coming with a bigger switch. It bugs me because sometimes I have to stomp a few times to turn it off. :eek:
    Here's my RC Booster compared to my Fulltone '69.
    [​IMG]

16. jzucker

Mine's bigger than yours. It's got bigger switch.

17. Leonardo

Leonardo Member

Well I just got back from swimming in the pool. And the water was
    cold...
    :eek:

18. Shemp

Shemp Member

I'm running a Strat with Fralin Blues and a steel pole bridge into an RC Booster into a TTE stereo out thence into both channels of a Marshall 2061 head with 2061X cab and it is nothing short of amazing.

The RC is set to 3:00 for volume and 12:00 for gain, treble and bass and the 2061 is set at about 3:00 for the lead channel and 12:00 for the bass channel.

19. Gril Grissom

Gril Grissom Member

...and DEEP too!:D (stale joke) sorry:(

20. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

The Xotic pedals are now shipping with new switches. They will update old ones by request; just get a hold of them.

I have the RC and the AC. I have a BB on the way too.

The AC is a like a Tube Screamer without the mid hump. I would call it an OD pedal. The RC is a boost pedal to me. I have had Klons and liked them for blues and rootsy stuff; not so much for rock. I love the RC and AC for most everything; I use them both alot.

I also have Timmy (and used to own a Tim) and love that pedal too. I use the RC for a clean boost; Timmy for mid-gain and AC for higher gain with a pushed amp (Flexi in my case).

The thing that is key with the Xotic pedals is how well they work with other pedals; the RC/AC/Timmy mixture slams. I can't wait till the BB gets here to add to the mix too. Fun! :D