Just got my RSA 23

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wichita, Mar 16, 2006.

1. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

Hello All,
    I just got my new D13 23.
    I have to say that I am actually overwhelmed with how good this amp actually is.
    It is like the best metal panel 71 Marshall, and the best Park 75 that I ever had rolled into one unit with something a little extra in there as well.
    Very touch sensitive and responds so lightening fast that it is unbelievable.
    It does its own thing but covers all of my Brit rock amp needs and then some.

I am running it through a late 60's Marshall cab that I loaded with a set of Blues...
    Man oh Man, I can't say enough good things about this amp.
    Yikes!

2. Sam Evans

Sam Evans Compliance Officer Gold Supporting Member

Sweet, dude. I'm sure it kicks ass. Seems like the perfect amp for you.

SE

3. Rock Fella

Rock Fella Member

could you post some clips please

jimmy

4. GasMask

GasMask Member

Congrats wichita!!!

got my RSA 23 about a month ago. wanted to use it for a few weeks before posting a review- but (ssshhhhhh) here is a sneak preview:

It's a Killer Amp!!! :dude

I bet it sounds significantly different through blues- I'll be trying that for sure.....

5. Luke Gibson

Luke Gibson Silver Supporting Member

The RSA23 and LDW 17/39 are on my short list. I like the idea of the LDW having a master volume.

6. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I had my RSA23 for just a short time now but it didn't take but a few minutes with her to know she's one of the most amazing amps I've played to date. Definitely got that old Marshall attitude and then some. I love how sweet and vintage the RSA sounds and yet is able to get more than enough gain for me with the need for no pedals. And man those harmonics!:eek: What a killer amp! Congrats!!:BEER

7. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

You people are driving me nuts.

I can't afford one of these right now....

Or can I?

8. miltwill

miltwill Member

How much gain does the 23 have? I have played a FTR and the 9/15 and both of these had plenty for my taste... does the 23 have more???

9. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Can you post any clips of different styles of playing, then some of us could put these descriptions in perspective with amps we own. Thanks

ERIC

10. ericb

Thanks Jon, I heard those the day Pete advertised them on this board. I love his style .. neato stuff!! Not really representative of any 'amp tone' clips to me though as though they sound good, they don't demonstrate much about the amp to me. The recording production is just awesome though! Isn't that 2nd clip the coolest!!! ERIC

11. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I really want to pick this amp and a LDW to go with my other stuff, both would fill a tonal gap for recording and I've been dying to try out the D/13 stuff, just gotta pay off this Maven Peal RG88 I ordered, pick up an Aiken Corsair and I think then I'll bite on these two.

-TJK

12. michaelg

michaelg Member

Lance,
    I have been enjoying a punk lentz i picked up with your name on the neck. Sounds killer through the RSA.:AOK

13. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

The 23 is a great amp. It also has more gain than the 37. It doesn't have nearly the clean (on either channel) as the 37.

The 23 is a wicked beast and I think the click channel on that amp is really great.

I don't want to start any kind of flame war here, but I get tones that are pretty close to the 23 with my Fulltonce OCD and my FTR 37. Less mids, which, like I said, gets you close, but not all the way there. I can't afford to have a specialty amp, meaning an amp for just one particular sound in general, so that's why I don't own a 23. I did have 3 very busy weeks with the 23 comparing it directly with my 37 (Thank you Chuck!). That's also part of the reason I sold my RSA 31. Really, really great Voxy tones but for my use, but the 37 got me pretty close (through 2 blues). Yes, that sparkle and chime of the el84's wasn't there, but the 37 can boast some amazing cleans in itself.

Jeez, I guess I'm partial to my 37. In the couple years that I've owned it, a few other amps have come and gone, but most haven't measured up to my 37.

On the other hand, to put things in context, my Germino Classic 45 (when cranked) was definitley in the same ballpark as the RSA 23. Tight mids and a great Marshally sound.

-Rich

14. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

I've been really tempted sometimes to just sell my FTR and get the JJN (now the LDW) because I know I could get around a lot of gigs with that amp, even though its single channel (I want that EL34/D13 grind) :) But, when I think about the versatility I've gotten out of the FTR, I know I'd be smarter to hang onto it and just pick up the LDW when the need is more justified.

Aw, heck, its justified right now. I just don't want to come off the money :D

15. Pete Faragher

Pete Faragher Gold Supporting Member

Good buy !!!!!:AOK
    And welcome to the RSA 23 club.:BEER I LOVE mine!!!!! :D !!!!!!
    cheers, and happy motoring....
    Pete

16. ericb

CONGRATULATIONS by the way.... Let's hear some of it on your tunes!!! ERIC

17. KLB

KLB Member

I assume LDW is Lyle Workman's initials, but what about the 17/39 part?

18. studio8000

studio8000 Member

Lyle Dean Workman.... 39 watts in full power... switchable to 17 watts.

19. KLB

KLB Member

Which power tubes? One or two channels? Reverb?