Just got my TIM pedal and it rocks!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Fernando, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Fernando

Fernando Member

Hi, guys. Well. I know it's been said a lot, but I just had to say it once again: the TIM is the best pedal I've ever come across. I just got mine and it is simply awsome.

With my PRS CE22 it sounds the best. I can get really mellow tones with low gain. I love to set it up so you can barely hear the drive unless you really dig the strings. It's a great setting for clean solos. Turn the gain to about noon and you start to get really gritty and funky. with the gain full on, I start to hear some ACDC going on. and the best thing about the TIM is that when the time comes for a solo, you can reach for the boost switch and add a touch of more hair and really make it sing.

The TIM does sound good with my Ibanez Artcore Custom too, but I have to keep the gain on the low side, as it has major feedback issues, being a hollow body and all. (well, the guitar is not suited for high gain anyway). With the gain at about nine o'clock you can barely hear any overdrive, but it makes the guitar come alive, it's pretty good for jazz leads.

I'm really glad I chose the TIM over the Timmy. I love the boost feature and the effects loop is a cool thing too.

By the way, I'm running it in front of my Twin Reverb, a not so OD friendly amp, in my opinion.

Thanks a lot Paul! It was definitly worth the wait! You should come up with a whole line of pedals, you're a genius, man! (ok, ok, I know this is not your main thing, but what the hey)

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Ya, I gotta call Paul after Christmas to check on my order. I was probably one of the ones he can't get in touch with from october. Ahh well, I will just play with the other timmy I have for now. :rolleyes: :D

3. SteveR

SteveR Member

+1

More props for TIM. It's one of my favorite pedals. I'll probably get another one in '06 so I can leave one with each rig.

Steve

4. jec

jec Member

I'll throw some props in too. My TIM is gonna be with me for a while. You know a pedal is special when even your drummer stops between songs and says "Damn, that sounds good!".

My only (SMALL!) gripe would be that the bass control on the boost eq has to be on zero (for me) to sound good. Anything more sounds too bassy. But, it's probably just my rig. Even so, I love it!

5. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Can't wait for my Timmy to come, I ordered it late November, so I must be patient. I considered the TIM as well, but I'm gonna stack the Timmy with other pedals to get more gain. I might get the TIM as well someday, cause it's such a bargain.

Check this out, Brad Whitford has a TIM on his pedalboard, and the Aerosmith dudes always have a great sound as far as I'm concerned
    http://www.dividedby13.com/accessories.html

6. Shnook

Shnook Supporting Member

I dig my TIM too. I also have a Timmy, but I seem to use the TIM a lot more. For the life of me I can't dial in the Timmy to be as clean and clear sounding as the TIM. Plus with the boost function, the TIM is a more useful pedal. TIM is on my main board, Timmy goes with my smaller setup. Awesome pedals!

7. teleblaster

teleblaster Supporting Member

Tim is the OD god. I just love that pedal!:AOK

8. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I have the TIM and the timmy. I must say that the TIM sounds fuller to me, plus it really cranks out a lot more, too.

9. BrianB

BrianB Supporting Member

I really think it's the most useful drive out there. It can wear many masks and plays nice with others. With some EQ action before or after about a million overdrive sounds can be had. I've had mine for over a year now and it's truly one of those I could never get rid of. If I ever get a little bored with it I just play with the gain/bass/treb interaction a little and it gets a whole new life. I love Paul's build style too, there's no question an amp builder built this thing :)

I bought a Timmy for my friend and tested it out a little next to my Tim. I think they sound pretty identical (minus the boost side of course). The 24mm pots in the Tim do have a slightly different taper than the 16mm of the Timmy so all knobs the same on both will sound a little different. The drive pot on the Timmy is double that of the Tim too...

10. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

This doesn't help my GAS at all guys.. Timmy should be here maybe within the next month (although that might be too positive thinking). Sounds like I should get the TIM as well. I've always liked the idea of boosts in pedals but I'm planning to stack several pedals in my chain together with the Timmy. This doesn't mean though that I couldn't do it with TIM..

How high gain does the Timmy get? Is there any distortion available?
    I'm gonna stack mine with COT 50, Hot Cake and a SCOD.

11. The Rocket

The Rocket Member

The TIM is great! My fav OD for sure.
    Thank you very much Paul Cochrane for being such an amazing and honest builder.

12. jockman

jockman Member

So, were do we get these tim pedals, being in the Uk, there is no place to try or buy. Is there a website with sound clips?

Jon

13. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I love the Timmy because it has both pedals I like in one pedal. It has a awesome boost when the drive is turned down, and then you have the creamy overdrive sound that we all love when you turn the drive up. Oh and the EQ is very usable.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net
    http://www.phensic.com
    http://www.escapi.com

14. Fernando

Fernando Member

TIM and Timmy pedals are made by Paul Cochrane, who does not have a website. To order, you have to call him in the US at: (615) 895-8555. He accepts PayPal payments.

A TGP member, The Gainster, has recorded some good clips. You can find them here:

http://www.streamload.com/Nodes/Node.asp?cxInstID=84860558&nodeID=10031136

Tone Ranger: At maximum gain, the TIM is a medium gain OD. It's not high gain at all, it won't give you any distortion. The TIM has got more gain than the Timmy with both sides maxed out, but it won't get past ACDC tones, gain wise. It stacks up very well though....

15. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

Fernando - thanks for the clarification! AC/DC sound is what I look after most of the time so no worries there.. I'm just looking for something that could take me just a tad to the distortion land as well sometimes. I've got a SCOD and it sounds wonderfull, but it's quite a full on distortion. I think I'll have my low gain bases covered with the Timmy (The Gainsters clips always drop my jaw! what a sound with the Timmy, woohoo!!), COT, 50 and the Hot Cake.

Timmy seems to have an "open" character, so does the COT. It would be great to have a near-distortion, a bit more compressed and maybe just a bit more mid heavy sound to throw in there as well from time to time. For this application I have considered the Lovepedal Eternity, which sounds quite a lot of what I'm thinking about if the clips are in anyway correct.

I'm sure the Timmy is a great stacker! COT + Hot Cake has taken me to tone heaven couple of times. I bet Timmy will work great with both pedals as well... Can't wait!!

16. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I dont think I have ever heard ac/dc outta my tim or timmy, but this soundclip sounds cool Link