Just Got My V-Picks

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by lawrencedesigns, Jan 10, 2008.

1. lawrencedesigns

lawrencedesigns Member

I got home late last night to find that my first "trial order" of v-picks were here.
    I am a casual home guitarist that has been playing for about 40 years. Hobby only.
    After about ten minutes with these new picks, I was just floored! I have never been an especially fast player, but I think I see why now. I always thought it was my LEFT hand slowing me down. An hour with my new v-pick felt like 10 hours of lessons on right hand technique.
    I CANT QUIT PLAYING NOW!!!
    And the "gift with purchase" aspect that my pinch harmonics that were always marginal at best now ring out like Gibbons.
    Obviously, my picking technique has needed some major work, and these new picks addressed MY issues. YMMV. But please, try them.

Keeth Lawrence

2. JonR

JonR Member

Can you explain a bit more how they're different - physically - from standard picks? They don't look that special (although they're obviously thicker on average than other picks). Is it the profile?

3. lawrencedesigns

lawrencedesigns Member

Jon,
    I could try to explain, but I am sure that I wouldn't do them justice. Check for other postings here, for complete information. You can also check out their website at www.V-Picks.com.
    1000% endorsement from me!

Keeth Lawrence
    Lawrence Designs

4. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

I've been using them. I like the "freakishly large" size.

Features:
    1) very thick with no flexion at all.
    2) symmetrical - all 3 corners are same.
    3) The corners ar not as pointy as standard picks. This is good for me as I always used the rounded corners of picks.
    4) The special part - the edge of the pick is sharp. It is bevelled down so that the witness point where the pick last touches the string is just as thin as a standard pick.

I find it shocking that a pick as different as a standard one feels so natural so quickly.

Unlike many, I don't find that the picks help me play a lot faster or cleaner. But they produce a nice tone and are easier to hold on to.

5. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Sounds a lot like the Tortex Gator Grip 1.14 which I have bene using for a few years. They have a tapered tip too, which makes them vastly superior to the "tortoise" to me.

6. on a wave

on a wave Member

ive heard a lot of these things. i typically use a dunlop .50mm i play mostly funk / rock and a bit of blues...

would i see a big learning curve by using one of these v picks and if so which one should i go for?

7. DamianL

DamianL Member

I was totally sceptical..i have never, ever found a pick i liked...and have the drawers full of rejects to prove it...

My favourite pick was always the Jazz III

I ordered the fantastic four and instantly loved the small pointed, it replace4s the jazz III but also does so much more...

Have just ordered six of these and three medium pointed...

Totally brilliant product...

Well done..:BEER

Damian

8. JonR

JonR Member

I was just wondering if the flat of the pick had some kind of different shape (sat between the fingers better).
    Otherwise I can't see what's special.
    I've used thick picks before (with bevelled sharp points and smoother points), and can see the advantages in various types. I like thick ones for fast, jazzy leads lines, at least with medium-heavy gauge strings.
    But I still prefer the old bendy Jim Dunlops (around .70-.88) for strumming chords.
    Generally, my kind of playing isn't subtle enough to get the best out of heavy picks :) - I'm not a speed freak in any case.

9. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Im not trying to be a downer here cause Im sure they are good picks. They look cool on the website anyway and Ed uses em so they must be good.

But, I just cannot see myself paying $4 for a piece of plastic. I'm certainly not gonna throw a handful of em into the crowd either.

I get bummed paying .25 for the dunlops and the .13 each for the printed ones...

Its gotta make me Mr Malmsteen or something before Id go that far.

Really, are they that good to cost $4 each? Wont you be pissed when you lose one?

10. teanett

teanett Member

4 dollars for a pick?
    **** that.

seriously, it's not the pick, it's the guy who holds it.

11. Baggins

Baggins Member

I got the fab4 as well, and use the small pointed the most. I think the lack of flex combined with the extra width at the gripping area give enough mechanical advantage to make picking less of a chore. A smaller motion is required to get the same effect at the string than is needed with a thinner pick. I think they're flat out great for alternate picking, but you have to be careful strumming chords, as the wrong angle will "chirp" a bit. The acrylic also is a great material for gripping, believe it or not. It gets a little tacky as you play. Are they the greatest thing ever? -I'm not a good enough player to make that determination. Are they better than the CoolPicks cellulon I had been using? -Yes.

Chris

12. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    I dig them too. They are easy to grip and the give a nice tone. I like the bigger rounded ones best.

13. Baggins

Baggins Member

Also, in regards to $4/pick, I shredded one pick/month (or less) at $1 each with my previous picks. I have yet to even need to take a knife to the edge of my v-pick (and can barely see wear) after more than a month's time. In the end, I'm sure they will work out to be less spent per unit time.