Just got picked up for "Footloose" - Last Update & Thank You!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Nurk2, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Nurk2

Nurk2 "Ignore Everybody" ~Hugh MacLeod

Paid gig. Local theater. Opens in two weeks. One rehearsal.

Have you done the show (apparently the book has two guitar parts). Any ideas/suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Obviously, if you can, get the books ahead of time. If you're the only guitar, hopefully they'll give you some clue as to which parts to cover before the rehearsal.

3. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

I remember the part being pretty challenging.

4. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Typically the guitar parts are not written by someone who is not familiar with the guitar. They are musically correct but not very guitar-friendly. When I’ve done shows like this I often have to re-write some of the guitar parts so they are actually playable. Go though the parts, identify anything that needs to be changed, and go over the changes with your musical director. The biggest issue I’ve found is that some of the chord voicing’s are unplayable and need to be changed,

FVB

5. BedroomRockStar01

BedroomRockStar01 Supporting Member

I helped my little brother prepare for it when his high school performed it. Like FlyingVBlues stated, the sheet music for those types of shows is usually very unfriendly, but if you've spent more than 30 minutes on any radio station that plays 80's tunes, you'll be familiar with most of the material.

Take the time to rework it yourself and none of it will be terribly challenging. Fun show though if you're into cheeseball 80's pop. I had a great time helping him with it.

6. Ben R

Ben R Member

Why did I read that thread title and assume you got arrested somewhere for dancing like Kevin bacon...?

7. Nurk2

Thanks guys. I appreciate your input.

This is far from my first show, or my first time working with "guitar music" written by non-guitarists. I've got my method - I'm looking for hints from people who have played this show regarding key things in this show to focus on for this show.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  8. Nurk2

Gotta love TGP!!!

:D

9. Nurk2

dlguitar - You sound like you're speaking from experience with this show. Could you point me to what you remember as being the particularly "challenging" parts?

Anyone else? All input sincerely appreciated.

:cool:

10. musicman1

musicman1 Member

Great advice and right on.

I'm currently preparing for "Big-The Musical" which has a surprizingly difficult and complex gtr book.

The only difference is that I usually wont tell the musical director what changes Ive made unless questioned about a part.

Most of the time they will never know especially when its just a chord chart without specific notation. Sometimes though you have to cover more especially if its a reduced or smaller band than the book demands.

This show involves a full band and rhythm section with 3 keyboardists. Its easier to "cheat" on parts that dont lay out well on the gtr. Also, I have the advantage of having the book 6 weeks early plus will attend 4 rehearsals the week of the show.

You may want to check out the Footloose show sound track but I wouldnt waste time playing along as most often the soundtrack is quite different from the touring book.

While I have never played the pit book for Footloose I have seen the show done both ways; with 1 gtr( 2 local productions) and 2 gtrs (I saw it on Broadway-sat 4th row orchestra and had a decnt view of the pit too). Id recommend playing primarily from the lead book but check out the 2nd book if you have time as there are probably some parts that you will need to cover by yourself.

Honestly, I cant recall anything about the gtr parts to be that difficult. The book is mainly just songs; Footloose, Lets Hear It For the Boy and Almost Paradise to name a few of the bigger numbers. Clean Strat/Tele and a light od for a few songs.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  11. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

I wish i could remember more about it-it was about 30 shows ago but it is one of those books with lots of exposed parts,so it is just a matter of knowing when there is no place to hide.

12. Nurk2

Thank you again, guys. I will check these things out. Much appreciated! :aok

Others?

13. Nurk2

Picked up the book(s) last night. I'm more inclined to go with dlguitar. This looks like a be-atch. Fortunately, I have two weeks.

"To the woodshed, Robin!"

14. HHB

HHB Member

I do alot of pit work. I learn something from every book I work. Have fun!

15. Nurk2

Thanks! I did "The Wiz" with this company last year. Much easier. I'm not a strong reader, and I'm definitely looking at this as a great "stretch" situation for me.

16. Nurk2

Wow. The overture alone includes rock, funk, and a little churchy section on nylon string acoustic. This is a stretch!

17. Onswah

Onswah Member

If you are the only guitar, you pretty much stay in the first book. I can't remember if "I Confess" is mostly in the first book or the second. Most of the songs center around some riff that is often quoted in other parts of the show. The power chords at the beginning of "The Girl Gets Around" and the opening riff from "Somebody's Eyes" are everywhere. I remember "Mama Says" being a bear although I may be thinking of "Let's Hear it for the Boy" they both come up in the second act. Try and get a copy of the soundtrack and play along. Good luck, the show is a lot of fun.

18. Nurk2

I've got the soundtrack here at work. I'm drilling these into my head. I've got the first book photocopied so I can write in whatever I need from book two. "Mama Says" seems pretty straightforward - though I haven't looked at the score to see if they've "guitar"-charted it - but those sorts of changes/progression are well within my comfort zone.

Right now the part that has me freaked is the two-guitar solo (including harmonies) at about 2:20 in "I'm Free." I can't study the book while I'm at work, so I'm wondering how much of those solos are to the ink and how many are "blow."

And a big Thank You for pointing me to those motifs. I'll look for them!

:aok

19. Nurk2

I just noticed... is that a freakin' mandolin?

20. HHB

HHB Member

Id learn the book one solo exactly.