Just got THD flexi/2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lennyx, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Lennyx

Lennyx Member

big change from my boogie rigs.
    any comments on using this head smart, looks like I have to use an od to get good gain from this thing

2. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

Its a great head, I have had mine for a few years and play it almost every day (home practice, recording and gigging). If you a search, there are some threads with a lot of advice that IMO is spot on. It is not an easy head to use and is definitely not for everyone.
    - I prefer the stock EL34 tubes. I usually run it with a Hot Plate at two clicks.
    - I went on a quest for OD pedals to get a saturated metal sound and didn't have a lot of luck. Crunch Box worked pretty good.
    - My favorite pedal is the Vox Snake Charmer compressor. It rolls a bunch of high end and crunches up tone just a bit while adding some sustain. It is a perfect match for what I want.
    - It really rewards good technique and knowing how to tweak it. It took a long time for me to get used to dialing it in. The best thing is to close your eyes and turn each knob through the full range and listen to how it affects how your guitar sits in the mix.
    - Tons of clips floating around by some killer players. Most of the clips have lots of gain and I can clearly hear the basic tone of the amp without much mangling from pedals.

Good luck, and take your time getting to know it.

Shawn.

3. es125luv

es125luv Member

4. whitewave

whitewave Member

an OD?!? Flexi could give the amount of gain to do quite every classic rock type of tone.
    But it's quite difficult to use. You have to test tubes and you should experiment many settings. I took me a while to understand how to make it sounds REALLY good.

2x 12AX7, Hi setting, boost dimed and on, volume dimed, master set to need.
    Do you really need an OD pedal now?

5. mailman

mailman Member

Great amp; love mine. But, as mentioned, it does take a bit of time to tune it in to your preferences. Not a plug & play; it's settings are very touch sensitive. Great to be able to go from clean-to-crunch-to-OD with a simple roll-back/forward of your guitar's volume knob! Tube swapping with ability to rebias the amp accordingly offers a variety of tonal variations. I've experimented a little (though I really like the stock Chinese EL34s) and tried a pair of JJ KT-77's---like them even more (a bit less harsh/mellower to my ear and seem to break up a bit sooner). Although I no longer haul equipment to professional gigs, this well-constructed, sturdy amp is built like a tank. I've paired my Flexi up with an Avatar 2x12 (Celestion V30 & G12H30 Anniversary speakers) and it's been a great combo for me. Experiment & enjoy!:banana Oh, and I second your checking out www.univalve.net/vbulletin (note updated current website address) ....plenty of great advice for and from THD amp users!

6. TeeVee

TeeVee Member

I tend to leave the boost on all the time. Gives it a bit more of a fuller tone. Also, I use the Master switch, and leave the Vol at about 9 o'clock for for a slightly overdriven sound. For a bit more crunch, my Ulbrick 12AXE OD offers very smooth and creamy overdrive into the Flexi 50. A highly recommended addition. As you probably are aware, 20 watts is more than ample in rehearsal/club settings. I find it to be a warmer tone than the 50 watt setting.
    Also agree on the stock Chinese EL34's, they do the job quite well. I have heard that a combination of EL34 and 6L6 works well too, but have yet to try it.
    Biasing is a breeze, even if you are non-tech minded like myself. Just got a cheap digital multimeter, and followed the Flexi instructions with no worries.
    Here is a pic of mine with the 4x12" cab.
    [​IMG]

7. mailman

mailman Member

Nice rig & guitar, TeeVee! I might just also mention that if you're an at-home player (and wish to save your windows from shattering & appease your neighbors), I recommend you use an attenuator. I have an 8 Ohm THD hotplate that works quite well for me at about 2 clicks down. Others often say they experience a slight loss of tone with an attenuator, but I sure as hell don't notice it. Really like this amp, and hope you do, too!:AOK

8. Gear Addict

Gear Addict Member

I love my Flexi and also use a THD Hotplate at -8db (2 clicks) for home use.

I generally think it has a great amount of gain on tap for classic rock, rock and some hard rock. If I need more I will generally run an OD or a clean boost such as the FDII in comp-cut mode.

As far as tubes go, I have only tried a small assortment but so far I like the EL34 Mullard Re-issues and either EI or GT12ax7M's in the pre-amp.

Good luck, it's a great amp.

9. Paul86

Paul86 Member

Kicking the thread back into life. Anybody else has any info on the Flexi?

10. vinceh

vinceh Supporting Member

I've had mine for 2 years now and still love it! (useless trivia: mine is the one in the THD website photo gallery -- Andy came to my town to do a clinic).

I have the head, 2x12 and the 4x12. With the 4x12, this amp just "thumps" with tons of balls. I usually keep the boost on as well and use my guitars' (LP and strat) volume to control my cleans (I don't like super-clean, so this suits me fine). Soloing is great with this amp with lots of sustain.

I play in the typical classic rock cover band and when I need extra gain (which is very rarely), I use a modded DS-1.

I find the master volume to be great, so I sold my hotplate shortly after getting the amp.

11. Paul86

Paul86 Member

Thanks vince
    Anyone else?

12. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Member

Great looking rig, TeeVee, The THD cabs are so nice. The Flexies are way more power than I need, ( I have a Univalve ), would like to have another. As previous posters have said, the THDs are very touch sensitive, and they will not let you get away with sloppy technique. With many tubes to try, and interactive tone controls, the Flexie is a great amp, capable of just about anything. Any of the THD amps are the kind to keep forever, and always enjoy, for their honest reproduction of your guitar/fingers tone.

13. mailman

mailman Member

Well said, Sharpshooter...you hit a bull's eye with your THD!:dude

14. Paul86

Paul86 Member

I'm feeling gas pains.