1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Just got the new Imac, what do I need to start recording?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by djdrdave, May 15, 2011.

1. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

I just got the new Imac, just curious what I should get to start recording.

Software
    1) It has GarageBand of course, should I get some better programs like Logic Pro?

2) Mic's, what can I use to with my Shure SM-57. Or should I buy a special mic

3) Getting sounds from my Tonelab Le in. I think this one has MIDI cables that can go out. Wondering what to do there?

Any advice would be appreciated. Getting ready to move to rent a bigger place and possibly one with a basement. But in all reality most of my recordings will be done at low volumes and possibly with a Tonelab.

2. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

stick with your garageband! you'l be Very surprised what it can do...when that gets too limiting for you then upgrade to logic....
    use ya mic w/ an interface,i use at the moment a line6 ux1

3. kenneth

kenneth Member

Congrats. The new imac specs look really nice.

What kind of music are you looking to record?

4. Nelson89

Nelson89 Member

If you've recorded before, i'd suggest getting logic pro, if not, stick to learning garageband first. Like its been said, just get some sort of interface...there's a few cheap ones out there, but if you've already got a mac, i would suggest an apogee duet...its a little bit more money, but its EASILY worth the price tag

5. clc12rock

clc12rock Member

Second what everyone says, stick with garage band until it starts to feel limiting. I'd get a nice MIDI controller no matter what kind of music you are recording. They're fun to F around on. I have an Apogee Duet that is f'n awesome. And SM57s are a great utility mic, but they're mainly used for mic'ing guitar cabs. Get a decent condenser for vocals/acoustic instruments. I have a Shure PG81-LC for acoustic instruments and usually just use an SM58 for vocals, but they're mostly used for live performance. Probably gonna get a nice MXL or Blue with a shockmount soon.

But most importantly how are you gonna plug a mic into your comp? You didn't mention an audio interface unless that Tonelab has something on it.

And I'm not saying you have to buy all of this crap. I just really got into recording a few years back. You'll be able to make fine-sounding recordings with just an SM57 and a simple audio interface.

6. NJVenom

NJVenom Member

can u upload digital tracks into the garageband program from a file downloaded into my imac from a boss digital recorder ?(br 900)
    recording takes as much practice time as guitar.
    patrick
    www.ghostandthebigsky.com

7. hot lava mike

hot lava mike Member

Does your iMac have a 1/4 jack? My friend's has one- he just plugs his guitar straight into the computer and records through Garage Band.

8. scottlr

scottlr Member

You can use the mono or stero line out on the ToneLab. I am not sure why the ToneLab has a midi out, since it's an amp modeler, not a midi controler. I have an older desktop ToneLab. I actually run it directly into my Tascam interface, but could run it straight into the Mac if I didn't have it. For the SM57, you'll want to get some sort of interface, which you can then connect the ToneLab to.

Itend to mostly record the ToneLab dry, meaning no effects like reverb, chorus, delay, etc. That can be doen from within GarageBand (or Logic, in my case), and be changed as needed, or even automated. If you record it, it's there forever.

9. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

Thanks for the replies, we are moving to a new place, but i may still have to record direct to keep peace with the neighbors

10. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

Some instrumental guitar playing like Satriani, and on the other end some acoustic stuff. I also want to do some clean electric guitar playing, i'm trying to self teach myself jazz and want to record some of my lessons.

We are moving into a new place that is very quiet though, so I need to capture as much stuff direct in, or at low volumes as possible.

11. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

I don't think it has a 1/4, has an 1/8. Some type of direct box might be ideal.

12. scottlr

scottlr Member

Use you ToneLab. Works great.

13. quadrophenia

quadrophenia Member

I don't have a ToneLab or any other effects processor, but I also got a new iMac and am using an Apogee One as an interface with GarageBand. This is my very first foray into recording and really anything outside of playing guitar. I'm using the direct line in for electric guitar and the internal mic for acoustics and vocals. So far, its been a great starter setup! But, I'm starting to feel the itch for a midi controller, or at least a bass guitar....

14. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

one option is to buy a used Apogee Duet from ebay. The Duet 2 just came out so people are blowing out the first one. The first one is still an amazing product and perfect for what you are wanting to do. The Apogee one would be good too if your only recording guitar direct or maybe even the Apogee Jam which is just a guitar only interface. The cool thing about the Apogee stuff is they have special access to the Apple engineering team and the stuff is somewhat co-designed to work with Garageband and Logic. I use a duet now but I started out using a 1/4 to 1/8 inch jack adapter I bought at Radioshack to record via the line in input and that can get you going for around 5 bucks.