Just got this Silverface!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by r9player, Oct 11, 2006.

1. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

1978 Princeton Reverb - Sounds really sweet.
    As far as I can tell all original even the original glass I believe rebranded RCA tubes 1 5U4, 2 6V6GT, 4 12AX7s

Does anyone know if you can just change tubes or does it need to be re-biased?
    Also does this need any kind of special footswitch to turn on the Tremelo?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

You'll need to bias after changing the power tubes, although if it sounds good I'd just leave them for now! If you do change, it's quite easy to get a Weber Bias-Rite and bias them yourself. If you get tubes that are marked for "hardness" like GT or from Lord Valve, you can then change tubes using the same grade without HAVING to rebias.

3. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Congrats on the Princeton Reverb amp. GREAT little giging amps. All the Fender tone in a small portable package. What more COULD you want.
    "FELLOW FENDER AMP AFICIONADO".:D

4. r9player

Thanks, anyone any idea on what kind of pedal it needs for the Tremolo (regular on off?)

5. Reeek

Reeek Member

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I believe the princeton is a self bias. There isn't an adjustment pot,just a resistor to see the tubes run within a range that's acceptable. for a cleaner sound use a cooler set of tubes;for more break up a hotter set.

7. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

8. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Congrats! Those 6V6s are GEs btw, I believe the rectifier is Sylvania, and I'd need better pics of the preamps to identify.

9. r9player

Hmm I figured they'd all be the same manufacturer because they all have that grey stamping with the type type and made in usa. I believe I had seen that n RCAs before.
    Thanks, I'll see what I can do about a better pre-amp pic.

10. tonemandan

tonemandan Member

Congrats! These are great little amps with a bit of tweaking. There is a common mod done to the phase inverter section ( called the "Paul C" mod after our illustrious gearpage member ) that is very popular. Also you might consider having another baffleboard made to accommodate a 12". This is the perfect amp for a Celestion alnico blue. I have one set up that way ( tech work done by Lord Valve ) and it sounds amazing. We are doing a recording right now and out of 50 amps that we have at our disposal the little silverface Princeton reverb gets used 90% of the time. I'm still amazed how good this little beast sounds on tape.

Good luck

Dan

11. r9player

I'm a little hesitant to mod it .. just so cool how clean it is etc. original tubes .. I know it is not that old (like it ain't a blackface) but still history here might prevail and I'll keep it all original. The cleans on this are really really good. When overdriving the tubes it falls apart a bit, haven't tried pedals yet.

12. BradKM

BradKM Member

I've got a '79.

It had a "Stokes" mod performed before I picked it up...supposedly increases output and headroom.

The only mod I made was a new speaker. I blew the original on the first day I owned the amp. Yours will have a glued in baffle, so adding a 12" isn't too easy, but a good 10" will do wonders.

As far as the footswitch goes, Fender sells a repro. It's the same 2 button that goes with the Deluxe Reverb; it sports RCA connectors.

13. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

What 10" do you recommend? I have a Champ II with a blown/crappy speaker... I usually just use it as a head!

14. BradKM

BradKM Member

I've got a Reverend Alltone 1030 that I'm really happy with...but they aren't made anymore. They show up on eBay from time to time.

I've also been happy with Webers.

15. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

I put a Weber 10F150T in my 66 PR.
    Big improvement in tone and volume and I don't have to worry about blowing the original.

16. Goldstrat

Goldstrat Member

I had a Weber 10f150 in mine. It was really loud. I also had a Weber California in it that sounded real nice in a different way. Bruce Marcolina can set that up with whatever you need and it will sing. He is in Chestnut Hill. I'll sell you my California if you want it for $50. It's sitting in a box right now.

17. r9player

RCA jack style eh .. got to try it, cuz I am just curious how the trem sounds, I might just rig it for now just to test it.

18. BradKM

BradKM Member

The switch has one plug that has extra shielding on its cable...I can't remember which one. Anyway, the switching will work with either plug in either jack, but hooking them up in the wrong (reverse) way will introduce a lot of extra noise. So if you do rig it, and experience that extra noise, remember that the proper switch, hooked up properly, will cure it.