Just grabbed my first bass, help me build a pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zmobley84, Feb 14, 2015.

1. zmobley84

zmobley84 Member

I've played guitar for quite awhile, and I've got quite a few pedals, but I just picked up my first bass, and I've really never paid much attention to what's going on in the bass pedal world.

I've got an extra tuner, and I have a few guitar pedals that aren't on my main guitar board that I'm gonna try on bass (Swollen Pickle, SD-1, RAT), but I'm looking for an overdrive and/or fuzz designed for bass. I've also noticed that most of my friends who play bass seem to rock a SansAmp at the front of their chain, so I may consider something like that as well.

Bass pedal suggestions?

I play stoner/indie/alternative/punk type music FWIW.

2. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

Welcome to bass! It's definitely a different animal from guitar, and many of the skills you need on bass translate well to guitar, such as increased evenness of pick stroke and better rhythm.

I think a good compressor is extremely handy with bass, since it helps keep your eighth notes sounding consistent. Ovnilab.com does great reviews of compressors from a bass perspective, and he even rates his favourites at bargain, midrange and upper level price points. Based on his reviews, I ended up with the Pigtronix Philosopher's Bass, and I'm more than satisfied.

WHE dirt boxes are supposed to be great with bass; I've also heard the Green Rhino sounds great with 4 strings. My fuzz choice is the Fuzzhugger Bass Bloom: it's a nasty bass fuzz with a clean blend so you don't lose low end. Highly recommended for stoner metal or indie rock.

The Sansamp Bass Driver DI is a mainstay for very good reason; it also can be patched through the PA if your amp dies on the gig. The Sansamp VT Bass DI goes for more of an Ampeg vibe; I can see that ending up in a lot of bassists' gig bags, too.

Other than that, a tuner is handy, a good envelope filter makes the fuzz even nastier, and there's also chorus if you are playing ballads. I'd say that's about it.

3. mutron

mutron Member

Bass - Tuner - Russian Big Muff/reasonable facsimile - Amp
    Unless you are Bootsy Collins this is the maximum amount of gear a bass player ever needs. Also no more than 4 strings or then you're a guitar player. Less than 4 strings perfectly acceptable.

4. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Member

Stay in the pocket or get off the stage.

5. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

Regarding mix knobs, get a BOSS LS2 and be done with it. Mine works great with whatever dirt I put in the loop. As for the rest, I prefer to keep it simple, without any time based or filter effects.

6. triviani

triviani Supporting Member

Dirt pedals are the delay of the bass player forumite. There are endless discussions about them, you will have to go to a shop and try a few to see what you like. Remember that you don't need as much gain as you would when playing guitar, and fuzz pedals usually get lost in the mix.

The Zvex Distortron does it for me, try one if you can. Digitech Hardwire pedals also work great with bass.

7. theroan

theroan Member

Buy and M9 or M13 and see what you like. A multi may be what you're looking for.

Other than a little compression (which most amps have built in these days) I rarely use any effects on bass.

8. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

And you call yourself Mutron. Tsk tsk.

9. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Pretty happy with my EHX Deluxe Bass Big Muff. Large but affords a good amount of control.

Also have octave, chorus/flange and Sansamp stuff, as well.

10. El3ktra

El3ktra Member

11. Belmont

Belmont Member

I did clean blending for a long time in my bass rig but grew to dislike it.
    I kind of hate the sound of a clean tone with a bit of dirt mixed in, I much prefer to run an eq pedal dedicated to a fuzz or dirt pedal instead, to dial in bottom when needed as it as it makes for a more cohesive sound.

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I have been a bass player almost all my life. Over 35 years now. The last five years with my hard rock/alternative cover band. Currently my board consists of a TU2, MXR BOD, Boosta Grande, TAFM, BF3 Line 6 G50.

13. Strat

Strat Member

Compressor, MXR bass envelope filter, Tech 21 Bass DI.

nonsense about more than 4 strings - even if you're a handicapped guitard the B is a nice thumb rest.

14. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Same. I just turn up the bass at the amp.

15. Ivo

Ivo Member

Tech 21 Bass Boost Chorus:

Check out talkbass, btw. One of the best music gear forums out there. Great community and very active. Lots of cool fx stuff to be found for bass.

16. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

I went with the LS2 at the overwhelming suggestion of the Talkbass effects forum. At $33 used, it was difficult to pass up. It works for me, and all experience is anecdotal, so YMMV.

17. gripweed

gripweed Member

I played bass before I moved to guitar. I never used effects, and honestly you really don't need anything when it comes to effects. It's one of the beautiful things about being a bass player. There are some cool things you can do with them though. How experimental is your band?

18. zmobley84

zmobley84 Member

I can't imagine getting to "experimental" on bass. Personally, I think if you actually notice what the bassist is doing, he's probably doing too much.

I think I may just grab the SansAmp bass driver and call it a day.

19. zmobley84

zmobley84 Member

Also, thinking about the JHS Pandamonium. Seems to do what the SansAmp does with an extra crazy fuzz side.

20. Ivo

Ivo Member

All these rules on what a bassist should or should not use and should or should not do are ****ing pathetic. :love: