Just had my TS808 RI True Vintaged by Analogman

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by GAD, Jul 31, 2008.

1. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

Though it's hard to A/B before and after because I haven't had it for a week, I will say that before I sent it I was ready to sell it off, and now that I have it back I think I might like it better than my Zen, at least for that SRV-esq crunchy blues thang.

Pre-Analogman there was something missing. It seemed like it was filtering too much. Whereas the Zen seems to add crunch to the existing signal, the TS-808 RI seemed to add crunch and remove highs and lows.

The True Vintage mod seems to have opened it up a tad, but the crunch is now delicious where before it was just "good".

Turnaround time was just about a week. I had the True Vintage mod done, and I also had a super-bright red LED added. I'm not crazy about the pedal having Analogman.com and logos plastered all over it, but I bought it to listen to - not to look at. I'd say it's also a positive because now if I ever sell it, there's no doubt that it's been modded.

Overall I'm very happy with the mod. Is it worth the price? That's for you to decide. I'm a big believer in giving my money to the little guy, especially when I get quality workmanship and excellent service. I sure got that here. I would definately buy from Analogman again should the need arise.

GAD

2. 810wmb

810wmb Member

wow - just started a thread about this about the same time you did.

i just ordered a sunface yesterday, thinking about sending in the ol' tubescreamer.

thanks for the info!

3. GAD

Been playing this thing all night and I have to say I'm impressed. I'd be tempted to get another TS-808 Reissue just to A/B them side by side.

GAD

4. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Is there any more gain than stock?

5. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

Can you please post your settings with the Zendrive for the SRV blues crunch thang as you describe? It would help me out a lot. thanks

6. GAD

I generally keep them at low gain. I'll play around with it more tonight and let you know what I think.

GAD

7. HighSpeedSpoon

HighSpeedSpoon Member

I recently played a TS9DX/808 from Analog Man. Although, as GAD said, it's hard to A/B, I loved it. I highly recommend the Silver option, which is also available on the TS9/808. One thing: I believe Analog Man now offers a $40 true bypass option on the TS9 (but not on the TS9DX), and the their Maxon OD9 is also true bypass. As (Analog) Mike points out, the TS9 itself will still not be true bypass (without the option) and it will suck a very minimal amount of tone. That was my experience, so if that bothers you, get the bypass option or the OD9.

8. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

Thanks for the info and review.

I'm a huge fan of the stock TS808ri, but have been curious about the True Vintage mod!

9. JimH

JimH Member

I've looked at the analogman stuff and it seems impressive.
    Does the LED perform some audio function? Or is it the analogman stamp?

10. HighSpeedSpoon

HighSpeedSpoon Member

It's just an LED.

11. RickB

RickB Member

I am on the fence between the Silver and True Vintage 808 from Analogman. Can't decide which way to go. :confused: Has anyone been able to AB the two different mods?

Also, has anyone been able to AB between Analogman's modded 808's and Keeley's modded 808? I have always been a fan of Keeley's work and own a bunch of his pedals but am equally as impressed with Analogman's stuff (I have a NKT Sunface and an AR20DL). It's good having choices and I am not looking to start a Mike vs. Robert war! They both have provided outstanding customer service to me and I enjoy their pedals daily. :)

12. GAD

The LED on the stock TS RI sucks. It's way too dim. For I think it's $5 or $10 he will replace it with a super-bright LED in any color you want.

GAD

13. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

The TS-808 True Vintage is by far my favorite OD pedal. I like it more than the Silver Modded OD-9 as well. I did just splurge for a KOT v4 though, we'll see how that one compares.

14. JimH

JimH Member

Ah I see - or rather you do. Played outdoor on Saturday for the first time with a keeley TS - one failing of the blue LED - not so good outside.