Just how many pedals ?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Johnny Moondog, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

Hi,
    I always loved effect pedals (who doesn't, right ?).

I started buying more of them in the past few years, as buying amps & guitars was taking up too much space (collecting pedals seemed more manageable).

I just did a count - I have 156 pedals.

I know there are a lot of serious pedal hounds here.
    Just wondering where I fall in the general amount of pedals.

I probably have more than average - but I am sure some of you have bigger collections than that.

2. schizo910

schizo910 Member

Currently I have 25 included my DIY'S. I tend to sell what I don't use...

3. jota

jota Member

I never liked pedals!
    I have about 10 but only 6 on my board at the moment.

I would say you might have a bit more than average but I might be wrong!

4. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

For that kind of money, you could also have saved up for a good tube amp or a new guitar and started gigging.

5. jota

jota Member

I don't think that's his goal.
    Collector's like to collect!
    I never get collector's but they have their thing and I respect that!

6. Geosh

Geosh Supporting Member

:worthless

I definitely think you have GAS.

I have 17. That includes some DIY pedals, my main board, my "grab-and-go" board, and the couple pedals that I use for my acoustic.

I have probably gone through maybe 70 or so in the last couple years, but when they don't get used anymore I sell them off.

7. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

I would say you probably have more than average.. by about 140 pedals.

8. playthecray

playthecray Member

I am sure you have a great collection of pedals. I have 18-20 setup across 2 different boards. Having the 2 boards allows me to try different things; although, I am pretty content with what I have at the moment. Spread out all your pedals and snap a couple of pics. That would be cool to see.

9. Enusire

Enusire Member

I dare not to judge this. Nobody is in the position to do that. For many people it´s a hobby. And many people here have actually more fun in discussing pedals, playing pedals, hunting pedals, collecting pedals... than in playing guitar itself. But if that is what makes you happy and if it is okay for YOU (and of course you still should have enough money for living, for your family etc.. :D ). Hey, then go for it dude. :)

10. MilwMark

MilwMark Member

I have 20-22 (I think?).

12 across 3 boards: 2 gigging boards and one home board. It's just easier to leave a board at each rehearsal space. All three boards are the exact same 4 pedals. :facepalm At least they're not exotic.

Then I have about 10-12 that have sentimental value. Old CE2. Old Arion SCH-1. Old AD-9. TR-2. Backup old Rat. Backup DD-2. Backup OD250. BD-2 and OD-3.

Some of them are old and hard to replace so when I stumble across one that is in decent shape and sounds good, for a decent price, I grab it. They are my gigging pedals so if one dies on the gig board, I have one handy. A can't imagine a Rat or DD-2 dying so maybe that's just foolish.

The BD-2 and OD-3 just can't get for anyway. So why sell because some time down the line I'll get the itch to plug one in again, or come up with a new use for (in fact, the BD-2 makes a fantastic boost for the acoustic when we do acoustic only shows - so it lives in the acoustic case).

TR-2 - I've bought and sold it a couple times. It just sounds good.

AD-9, CE-2 and SCH-1 can't really get that much for anyway. Have had 'em for a while. No compelling reason to sell. Even though I never use chorus and the only delay that ever really worked for me is the DD-2. :nuts

11. GuitarToma

GuitarToma Silver Supporting Member

^What he said! (Enusire)

I love collecting pedals, but I do love gigging more! I'd have to count, but I believe my pedal collection is somewhere around 60. It may sound silly, but I feel there's a lot of art involved in the making of pedals. I love the designs, the paint jobs, etc. ONe of my favorites in my collection is the hand-painted Freakshow Brown Rabbit. I love that pedal! It will never go on my board as I'm afraid the paint would all get chipped off.

12. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

Well - maybe my collection size is in the minority :)

I am just a guitar hobbyist.
    I have a (ir)regular job, and I experiment with amps/guitars/pedals just for fun.

"It may sound silly.... I love the designs, the paint jobs, etc."
    I totally agree :)

13. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

Pics please!

Currently I have 12 pedals, only using 6 of them on my mini board. I am trying to sell a few currently and get a few more in but ultimately I'd love a board of 10 pedals with an additional 20 or so pedals on the side for fun.

14. minty901

minty901 Member

I feel the same way. I have about 30 pedals. I love exploring the nuances of pedals and seeing what they're capable of sometimes more than I love playing guitar. Every day I sit there just looking at my pedals and admiring them and thinking about how I could chain them up in different ways. I enjoy the planning aspect of setting up a board. There are so many aspects to it that I love that don't even involve guitar.

15. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

I have about 20, use about nine on the board. Having a guitar modded to include an on board effects loop and it has a box, when I get it back I'm redoing the board and adding back the volume pedal and phase shifter.

So: tuner, volume, Wah, EF, Octron, OD, RotoSim, Phaser, Chorus, Delay, and the EL box.

Have several chorus and delays, Compressor (wait, should that be on the board?), sitar pedal, a couple ODs, noise gate, laying around that I mean to sell.

16. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

Yeah - I never intended to have so many pedals.

I just wanted to cover all the options, and construct a killer pedal board.

Then I kept finding more interesting pedals, good deals, different takes on the same ideas....

it snowballed into what I have now.

I have them all on a very tall shelf - and I take them down, mix & match them - it's a lot of fun, I must say :)

Unlike all my guitars - which became too large a group to store / maintain / use easily, pedals are more easy to enjoy.

I am on break at work right now- so I have no pics handy :(

The plan is, once the renos are complete, to have the amps & pedals in a nicely organized room - and plug in / switch around / play as I wish.

17. Shadow Puppets

Shadow Puppets Member

I went through a faze about a year ago where I was buying loads of stuff. Probably had 30 or 40 pedals at that point, but it was useful because it really showed me what I like. Turns out the most enjoyment I can get out of playing guitar is with the least possible in front of the amp (maybe just a tuner, compressor and delay). I've found much more enjoyment and "feel" out of my various amps, including running more than one amp at a time.

As of right now, I own 9 pedals, and use 3 regularly (Boss TU2, Free The Tone Silky Comp, Memory Lane Jr).

If you sold 100 of your pedals for on average $100 each, you could buy a couple of seriously amazing amps.

18. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

I think the most I've ever had at one point is 18 or 19. But I'm use-it-or-lose-it to a fault and can't get myself to keep pedals I don't love or am not playing with.

I have 10 pedals on my board (including a MIDI controller) and 3 extra cheapies that would barely be worth selling.

I have plans to buy 2 or 3 more this year, but even still... I'm still well under 20.

19. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

Thanks for the feedback - I love a good pedal conversation.

I guess I also have the attitude, that if I bought a pedal for say...$75 , and I use it for a while, have some fun, then sell it for $40 - I didn't really lose out, as I had some fun with it .

Lot's of hobbies are expensive.

My brother in law once spent $600 on a single golf club.

And I know a guy here at work that buys and tinkers with old cars.
    Now THAT gets pricey :)

20. afterosmosis

afterosmosis Member

I have 5, with two on the way that may be the start a separate board. But, I'm not a collector. If I don't use something regularly it gets sold off.