Just In Case You Forgot The Genius Of John McLaughlin

parker

I keep listening to this to erase his "laptop tone" he has now from my memory.... "Devotion" was created in an interesting time in music. I love the second "liked" quote in this youtube vid, and I completely agree!

MarcJ

I've been listening to McLaughlin since '73 when I saw Mahavishnu in concert as a kid. I have had trouble getting into his recent music because of the tone and use of the trem bar. Love the early stuff.

DøøG

I've been listening to McLaughlin since '73 when I saw Mahavishnu in concert as a kid. I have had trouble getting into his recent music because of the tone and use of the trem bar. Love the early stuff.
Hear ya on the tone. Saw JM and the 4th Dimension at the PRS Extravaganza last weekend, they played Fri night. They were killing! Gary Husband on keys AND drums, jeeez... Most of the night he ran thru a pedalboard straight into the board, and it had that sound of the overdriven mixer module, I'm not into that. Jeez guy, plug into an amp, lol........

Kalalau Hiker

Silver Supporting Member
all time classic and a source of endless jams back in my days circa 1969 - 73 in the just outside NYC Rockland County birth of jazz rock scene built around Larry Coryell, Danny Toan, Larry Young, John and the rest of the Miles expatriates.

We jammed this stuff into the ground back then - Marbles, the Dragon song..fantastic stuff! This was, and was intended to be, John's take on the Band of Gypsies. VERY edited by Hendrix catalog Svengali/pirate Alan Douglass, but I always thought he did a good job on this one.

Def the funk and psychedelic side of John, and was the period where he was still "inhaling and otherwise sniffing around" prior to the cleaned up and celibate Sri Chinmoy period that came shortly later.

+11111 to the OP re John's tone.

I also put this on to remember when John's tone didn't suck a$$. I went to the Miles reunion gig he did w Chick and LOVED it..all except John's tone through that laptop. He is just always trying to emulate Miles, so even if tone sucks compared to "classic LP thru Marshall" memories, it's "different" so he feels he is being experimental and not standing still, as he likes to feel that is an admirable trait among the sea of SRV, Wes, or whoever clones that fester over one sound forever. John likes to keep movin, always "Chasin' the Trane".
SUCH an adventurous spirit! Love him forever!

shakti

The master. None above. He actually had excellent tone throughout the 70s, but I agree that it's been gradually downhill, tone-wise, since the mid-80s. But who are we to complain - he's still out there at 70 and doing his thing, still active, still searching. Can't wait for the two intimate shows in Oslo later this fall!

jms6668

all time classic and a source of endless jams back in my days circa 1969 - 73 in the just outside NYC Rockland County birth of jazz rock scene built around Larry Coryell, Danny Toan, Larry Young, John and the rest of the Miles expatriates.

We jammed this stuff into the ground back then - Marbles, the Dragon song..fantastic stuff! This was, and was intended to be, John's take on the Band of Gypsies. VERY edited by Hendrix catalog Svengali/pirate Alan Douglass, but I always thought he did a good job on this one.

Def the funk and psychedelic side of John, and was the period where he was still "inhaling and otherwise sniffing around" prior to the cleaned up and celibate Sri Chinmoy period that came shortly later.

+11111 to the OP re John's tone.

I also put this on to remember when John's tone didn't suck a$$. I went to the Miles reunion gig he did w Chick and LOVED it..all except John's tone through that laptop. He is just always trying to emulate Miles, so even if tone sucks compared to "classic LP thru Marshall" memories, it's "different" so he feels he is being experimental and not standing still, as he likes to feel that is an admirable trait among the sea of SRV, Wes, or whoever clones that fester over one sound forever. John likes to keep movin, always "Chasin' the Trane".
SUCH an adventurous spirit! Love him forever!
Awesome stuff!!! Thanks, you just reminded me that I do not have this on my iPod. This is going to change ASAP.

So RAW. With guts and intelligence.

Trending Topics